PDA

View Full Version : Temporary way to gain the construct type?

magicalmagicman
2018-07-13, 03:40 AM
All the permanent ways seem to require class levels. Is there a spell that turns you into a construct temporarily for polymorph shenanigan purposes?

Nifft
2018-07-13, 03:42 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm <-- this can change your Type

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shapechange.htm <-- this can also change your Type

magicalmagicman
2018-07-13, 03:46 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm <-- this can change your Type

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shapechange.htm <-- this can also change your Type

PaO kills your intelligence... but... I guess it's better than nothing.
Shapechange is obvious but it's level 9. I was wondering if there was something lower level.

Darrin
2018-07-13, 05:44 AM
Body of War (Sor/Wiz 7,Spell Compendium).

SLOTHRPG95
2018-07-13, 11:43 AM
PaO kills your intelligence... but... I guess it's better than nothing.
Shapechange is obvious but it's level 9. I was wondering if there was something lower level.

So then I guess Wish is out of the question...

Telonius
2018-07-13, 02:44 PM
Urban Druid (Dragon Compendium) can change into a Construct at level 16. This actually allows a change in type for the duration of the ability.

Thurbane
2018-07-13, 04:42 PM
There's also the much more convoluted method of taking 10 levels of Green Star Adept or Renegade Mastermaker, then re-training the levels to something else...

I would say that Body of War, as suggested by Darrin, would be your best bet.

If your character isn't able to cast the spell himself (it has a range of personal), you could get it in a Skull Talisman (Frostburn) for 9,100gp.

The duration is 1 round/caster level: will that be long enough for what you need?

magicalmagicman
2018-07-13, 11:33 PM
There's also the much more convoluted method of taking 10 levels of Green Star Adept or Renegade Mastermaker, then re-training the levels to something else...

I would say that Body of War, as suggested by Darrin, would be your best bet.

If your character isn't able to cast the spell himself (it has a range of personal), you could get it in a Skull Talisman (Frostburn) for 9,100gp.

The duration is 1 round/caster level: will that be long enough for what you need?

Yes it is. I'm only using it as an entry point to polymorph. Body of War -> Phlactery of Change into a construct -> Polymorph into a construct as much as I want.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-13, 11:37 PM
Yes it is. I'm only using it as an entry point to polymorph. Body of War -> Phlactery of Change into a construct -> Polymorph into a construct as much as I want.Remember that animated objects can have all sorts of interesting abilities that depend on their composition and shape, can be made out of pretty much any material (obdurium! aurorum! thinaun! adamantine! riverine! all of the above!), can be humanoid in shape, and can be reconfigured like Transformers (Robots In Disguise!). Furthermore, spells like alter self and polymorph aren't limited on the kinds of materials they can turn the target into. So turn yourself into a riverine Optimus Prime, if you want to.

magicalmagicman
2018-07-14, 12:24 AM
Remember that animated objects can have all sorts of interesting abilities that depend on their composition and shape, can be made out of pretty much any material (obdurium! aurorum! thinaun! adamantine! riverine! all of the above!), can be humanoid in shape, and can be reconfigured like Transformers (Robots In Disguise!). Furthermore, spells like alter self and polymorph aren't limited on the kinds of materials they can turn the target into. So turn yourself into a riverine Optimus Prime, if you want to.

That is my intention

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-14, 12:34 AM
That is my intentionOnce you've gained a few levels and your WBL is high enough (or you take, say, the Landlord feat, and use the money it gives you to magically imbue the outhouse you built to turn it into a magic item), you should replace-slash-augment your necklace with a psychoactive skin of proteus. Yeah, it's expensive, but dayumn if it isn't one of the best items in the entire game. Make it a sanctified skin and include the Words of Creation feat in its construction for a nearly-free manifester level.

Anyone know other ways on how to improve manifester/caster levels for cheap?

magicalmagicman
2018-07-14, 12:47 AM
Body of War is... problematic. It's personal range (really expensive to get around, bracers of spell sharing or ring of spell storing), and you can't cast spells while the spell is active so you really need phylactery of change or otherwise it's bad.

Polymorph Any Object seems like the best fit. Too bad it's so high level!

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-14, 12:51 AM
If you're a psionic type, your psicrystal can take construct forms. You can too, if you're a warforged.

magicalmagicman
2018-07-14, 11:35 PM
Why are there so many spells that turn you into an outsider but so few that turn you into a construct...

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-14, 11:37 PM
Why are there so many spells that turn you into an outsider but so few that turn you into a construct...You could always use the process I outlined here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?563768-Becoming-Immortal&p=23221960#post23221960).

daremetoidareyo
2018-07-14, 11:41 PM
There is a weird acquired template that turns you into a living construct near the end of a Forgotten Realms Adventure. It has some weird Shadow fluff. Maybe that is of help?