PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Best "solo" character?

Wasp
2018-07-13, 10:46 AM
Hi everyone!

What race/class would you play in a 1 on 1 game? What would be the most fun in such a situation? The game would of course adjust to your abilities.

ciarannihill
2018-07-13, 10:51 AM
In theory, based solely on versatility I'd say one of three:

Paladin - great in a scrap, especially in a solo combat situation, healing, spells, heavy armor and good ability to interact with NPCs.

Cleric - Similar reasoning to the Paladin, but with more spell casting and less melee focus.

Druid - Especially moon Druid -- spellcasting, melee combat from wildshape and interesting potential for problem solving based on that.

I would argue that you can absolutely make a compelling and fun campaign "starring" a character of any class, and even more if multiclassing is allowed, but those three would probably have the easiest time adapting to various types of adventures off the top of my head.

Sigreid
2018-07-13, 10:53 AM
Valor bard is the only option I can think of that is ok to good in everything an adventurer may need to do.

Unoriginal
2018-07-13, 10:57 AM
Hi everyone!

What race/class would you play in a 1 on 1 game? What would be the most fun in such a situation? The game would of course adjust to your abilities.

Depends on a lot of things.

What kind of game are we talking about? Regular dungeoneering? Sword-and-Sorcery tale of a lone adventurer versus men-at-arms, wizards and the occasional monster? High in color swashbuckling adventures? Futthroat-realms-at-war à la Game of Thrones?

In solo, each of your ressources count a lot more, so I'd say classes with low ressource-dependency, like Rogues or Champion Fighters, could be your best bet if regular dungeoneering was the goal.

hymer
2018-07-13, 10:57 AM
Druid, obviously. :smallsmile:

The game would of course adjust to your abilities.
In that case, I'd consider trying a rogue, probably assassin (though swashbuckler could be fun, too). It would make for someinteresting infiltration missions.

ciarannihill
2018-07-13, 10:58 AM
Valor bard is the only option I can think of that is ok to good in everything an adventurer may need to do.

Ooh, a Bard would be good too.

As for Race, it depends on how you want the campaign to go -- if you want Race to be a factor in your story or not. If so, the more obscure or hated races would be more interesting (Half-Orc, Kenku and Lizardfolk seem like interesting solo campaign character types), if not go with a more common race like Half-Elf or Human.

Alternatively you could just pick your race based on mechanics you'd like to have: Darkvision, languages, attributes bonuses, etc.

Wasp
2018-07-13, 11:31 AM
Depends on a lot of things.

What kind of game are we talking about? Regular dungeoneering? Sword-and-Sorcery tale of a lone adventurer versus men-at-arms, wizards and the occasional monster? High in color swashbuckling adventures? Futthroat-realms-at-war à la Game of Thrones?

In solo, each of your ressources count a lot more, so I'd say classes with low ressource-dependency, like Rogues or Champion Fighters, could be your best bet if regular dungeoneering was the goal.
I'd say regular Dungeneering. But I feel in a solo play it may become more important to be able to do social encounters well, as this is where more of the interaction lies?

CantigThimble
2018-07-13, 11:39 AM
Honestly if I were doing this I would just play a fighter or rogue. Rather than trying to play a character that can do everything, I'd play a more limited character because that would make a more interesting solo experience.

smcmike
2018-07-13, 11:49 AM
I imagine a solo game would probably have more social and other non-combat opportunities than your average dungeon crawler, for a couple of reasons. First, no solo character is going to be able to reliably survive very many fights in a day. You just don’t have the resources, and one critical hit can ruin the campaign. Second, you don’t have Grog the Barbarian breathing over the DM’s shoulder and wondering when he gets to bash things every time someone “wastes” time on a social diversion.

So, make a character with social skills, or a social hook. This doesn’t have to be a Bard, but I don’t think you want to play the strong silent type. Without a party weighing you down, you are free to play around with social chameleon abilities, like disguise self.

Also, I think you want stealth or other non-combat tools for handling dangerous situations. Big groups don’t do stealth well, and run into the Grog problem if they bypass too many fights. You don’t have that problem.

If I were you, I’d consider Druid, Bard, or Warlock. Warlock is the least balanced (and strong) option of the three, but since you have the DM’s full attention it might be fun to play a social GOOlock.

ciarannihill
2018-07-13, 12:21 PM
It also comes down to your sensibilities as a player I suppose:

Do you want a suite of options for a given situation, or do you want to be forced into thinking up clever solutions to problems due to a limited toolkit? Do you want a wide variety of potential dangers and adventures made available by a versatile character, or are you happy to have an exciting and focused campaign? Do you prefer heavy social interaction, or would you rather be on an epic solo quest through a savage and barren wilderness? Would you like allied NPCs on your journey or have them stay in a town?

None of these questions have "correct" answers, and I can totally see myself enjoying the extremes in each of these, but I feel that they might suit one or another class/race better.

[personal opinion]
The only class I personally don't think would be all that fun to play in this type of adventure is a Wizard -- their upkeep and spell learning micro-game is a bit tedious even in a party, but I feel like you'd end up grinding all your progress to a halt frequently to manage your spells more frequently than I would find tolerable as a player/DM. Maybe with some houserules regarding the spellbook, but RAW I'd much rather play any other class many times over.
[/personal opinion]

EDIT: typos/grammar

Lawful Good
2018-07-13, 12:24 PM
If I were playing in a solo game, I would 100% play a rogue. FINALLY, a chance to actually SNEAK AROUND without my party messing it up! :smalltongue:

Anyway, a rogue is really good anyway as a solo class. It can fight melee or ranged, be a face, escape from danger, and even have some magic with Arcane Trickster/feats.

Waterdeep Merch
2018-07-13, 12:25 PM
Building on that, half-elf valor bard is especially good. They're viable at nearly every aspect of the game.

Except for opening stuck doors. Strength checks in general, really. Might need a big, dumb hireling.

JeffreyGator
2018-07-13, 12:35 PM
For combat situations, a character with friends that can heal.

For example a beastmaster ranger with a wizard splash has a minion and a familiar to feed a goodberry/potion when we goes down.

Probably doesn't have much social skills though.

A fiendish hafl-elf chainlock with at-will fiendish vigor is also pretty good at surviving and talking.

MaxWilson
2018-07-13, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone!

Probably a Shadow Monk, ideally a Spy Shadow Monk X/Rogue 2 with Disguise Kit proficiency. I love the idea of passing myself off as an unarmed accountant or clerk but secretly being a deadly ninja.

Unoriginal
2018-07-13, 12:54 PM
I think this trailer puts it best:

https://youtu.be/-cSFPIwMEq4

solidork
2018-07-13, 01:11 PM
If I were playing in a solo game, I would 100% play a rogue. FINALLY, a chance to actually SNEAK AROUND without my party messing it up! :smalltongue:

Anyway, a rogue is really good anyway as a solo class. It can fight melee or ranged, be a face, escape from danger, and even have some magic with Arcane Trickster/feats.

I'd actually say the opposite, since you don't have easy ways to sneak attack without friends.

Willie the Duck
2018-07-13, 01:32 PM
It also comes down to your sensibilities as a player I suppose:

Do you want a suite of options for a given situation, or do you want to be forced into thinking up clever solutions to problems due to a limited toolkit? Do you want a wide variety of potential dangers and adventures made available by a versatile character, or are you happy to have an exciting and focused campaign? Do you prefer heavy social interaction, or would you rather be on an epic solo quest through a savage and barren wilderness? Would you like allied NPCs on your journey or have them stay in a town?

Definitely a lot of this. But also a question to the OP--is, to some real extent, is the power level of what you will be facing going to be tied to what you are capable of handling (either because the DM is keying it to such, or because it is an open sandbox and the DM does a good job of communicating risks)? In other words, if you are a little weaker mechanically, is that okay because what you will end up facing be a little weaker to match?

If so, I would seriously consider a half-elven (for darkvision, skills, and +4 total attributes) Fighter with the Criminal background; or, if multiclassing, one level of rogue as well and then maybe the outsider background). The point being that you want stealth skills, social skills, survival skill, and theive's tools proficiency. Pick defensive fighting style and try to have a relative balance between Strength and Dexterity (as you will be wielding whichever magic weapon the DM drops in your lap, be it javelin, rapier, greatsword, or bow). If you can, also have int 13+, and get the ritual caster (wizard) feat. Pick whichever archetype has a rest mechanic favored by your DM. Going both Dex and Str is not mechanically favored if you have to pull your weight in a party, but if the game is balanced towards you, it is a really fun concept.

Davrix
2018-07-13, 01:50 PM
Like total cheese option and Depending on how high your starting lv is and if your rolling stats or using the base array.

Start paladin lv 2 (sword and board it). Dip 2 level into warlock hex so you can pump your Char to 20 and get agonizing blast and either the magic sight at will or something else oh and booming blade or GFB. This will give you good social skills, a good range attack and short rest spells for sorc points and a viable melee attack without multi-attack. Then just go all the way SORC, Divine soul so you can self heal by a ton and take whatever the cheesy healer spell is from XGTE to heal yourself to full between combats.

UrielAwakened
2018-07-13, 02:02 PM
Half-Elf Sorcadin is probably your best bet to be entirely self reliant.

I'd imagine in this case you would want Sorc 14/Paladin 6. Great saves. Great AC. Great Nova damage. Utility spells and versatility in terms of melee and ranged-based combat options.

Unoriginal
2018-07-13, 02:06 PM
I think several of the proposed builds are going for a "one combat of ultra-power" feel.

Paladin-based MC builds tend to shine hard for one or two encounters, but burn out quick.

Not exactly the best for solo.

UrielAwakened
2018-07-13, 02:11 PM
It's more being able to have that option if you need it.

You'll usually be fine divine smiting once a battle.

But once in a blue moon you're gonna be thankful you can hold monster and get off four divine smite crits in a row. And most classes just don't have that sort of potential without being a complete glass cannon.

Paladin has the best defense against two axis of being attacked (AC and saves) and Sorc covers the last axis with utility magic/counterspells for the stuff that gets around those.

Arcangel4774
2018-07-13, 02:14 PM
I'd put my money on necro wizard or some sort of druid. Basically youd want a minonmancer of sorts, as a solo game is likely scaled to playing, well, solo. Abusing action economy would be in your best interest.

Citan
2018-07-13, 02:19 PM
Hi everyone!

Hi!

Well, speaking only of single-classes for now my top 3 (5?) would be...

1. Moon Druid. Obviously. It has every kind of tool one could hope for.
All kind of spells covered, ability to become whatever animal suits the situation... Stack Observant and Ritual Caster: Wizard on top of that and you're golden.
His only small drawback is the lack of "all-around skill greatness". So if you happen to find a situation where neither your spells nor beast forms apply, you'll be frustrated (but is that possible? Certainly, but cannot find example right now).

2. Hexblade Tome Warlock. The next most versatile & powerful.
Ritual Invocation means you can potentially get *all* rituals.
The other Invocations, paired with short-rest recovery, make you extremely potent in making situations evolve the way you like with social engineering or exploration/inquiry. And you get strong tools for direct confrontation too.
Of course, if you expect the campaign to be all about direct fights marathons, then Warlock is a suboptimal choice, pick Bladesinger/Transmuter/Diviner/Abjuration Wizard instead.

3. Gloomstalker Ranger: added spells on top of Druid-like versatility makes it very nice. Rope Trick in particular is great to help getting short-rest when needed. And you're a solid, versatile chassis, with possibility to get help from animals (never underestimate that perk ^^).

4. Glamour Bard: contrarily to the previous ones, this one does have drawbacks in fights. But the short-rest features and light roleplay strings make it interesting/fun to play for me. Apart from fights, throw whatever you like at it that can be resolved through skill check, he'll manage thanks to Expertise, Jack of All Trades and Enhance Ability / Skill Empowerement.

5. Eldricht Knight Fighter: plain and solid chassis for simple enough fighting, DEX or STR alike, with lots of ASI to tailor it to taste.

If you were also opened to multiclass suggestions, let me know and I'll double down on current post. :)

Unoriginal
2018-07-13, 02:24 PM
How many Wildshape use do the Moon Druid have, again? 2 per short rest til lvl 6?

the secret fire
2018-07-13, 02:24 PM
For all-around versatility, I'd recommend either Cleric (Knowledge) 1/Rogue (AT) X or Ranger (pick your flavor) 5/Rogue (pick your flavor) X

Solo, you'll want access to some sort of magical healing/utility, and enough skills to be able to handle all three pillars of play effectively. When it comes to combat, as a solo character, kiting is likely going to be your most effective tactic, so having access to the Cunning Action/Longstrider combination (along with maybe Mobility) is a good idea.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-13, 02:38 PM
Single Class? A Ranger.

I wouldn't min max either. I'd aim for something like 14,14,14,12,12,12 to start. I would be good with any magic weapon that I might find.

I'd focus on utility and healing spells, and let my martial prowess handle the combats on it's own.

I'd probably go Gloomstalker since it would let me get dark-vision as a Variant Human.

Willie the Duck
2018-07-13, 02:44 PM
I'd probably go Gloomstalker since it would let me get dark-vision as a Variant Human.

If you were looking for pure adaptability, and were going gloomstalker, it might even be the time to go non-variant human, and end up with 11, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14.

Waazraath
2018-07-13, 02:56 PM
Depends a bit on the campaign... for example, in an underdark campaign, I'd definitely go for a deep gnome with 3 levels in Gloom Stalker, to outsee any other creature with 30 ft darkvision. Couple it with maxed out stealth and perception, and you should be able to evade a lot of combat encounters.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-13, 03:02 PM
If you were looking for pure adaptability, and were going gloomstalker, it might even be the time to go non-variant human, and end up with 11, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14.

It's not a bad idea, but I think I could get more out of the feat. Especially if it's a decent half feat. Resilient Con maybe.

MaxWilson
2018-07-13, 03:09 PM
How many Wildshape use do the Moon Druid have, again? 2 per short rest til lvl 6?

2 per short rest until level 19, then at level 20 infinity.

ciarannihill
2018-07-13, 03:11 PM
I think several of the proposed builds are going for a "one combat of ultra-power" feel.

Paladin-based MC builds tend to shine hard for one or two encounters, but burn out quick.

Not exactly the best for solo.

I mean I was recommending Paladin because:

They're highly survivable (d10 Hit die, Plate, Cha mod to saves and Lay on Hands)
They're a reasonable at will damage class, with martial weapons and Extra Attack, not even counting smites.
They have some cool versatility as a spell caster which could lead to fun methods of solving problems.
As a Charisma using class they not only multiclass well (Warlock helps with sustained power level a lot), but are great with social encounters

But there are for sure variations on this concept and adventures you could run with it that would make this a far worse choice. The worst possible would probably be something along the lines of:

You find yourself in a deep level of a mega-dungeon, having fallen in when the floor you were on collapsed underneath your feet. You wake up in a pile of loose rubble, and upon dragging yourself out you find yourself in a near pitch black room, the faint sound of water dripping from somewhere above you. You're clearly deep below ground and have limited resource, but you're determined to survive and find your way out.

A survival/dungeon crawl combo with an emphasis on gathering resources and having long "adventuring days" (between the exceedingly rare safe moments) during which you not only will encounter battles for survival, but also for food and water.

Having typed that out I might have to try this out with someone. Seems like it could be fun.

Unoriginal
2018-07-13, 03:17 PM
You find yourself in a deep level of a mega-dungeon, having fallen in when the floor you were on collapsed underneath your feet. You wake up in a pile of loose rubble, and upon dragging yourself out you find yourself in a near pitch black room, the faint sound of water dripping from somewhere above you. You're clearly deep below ground and have limited resource, but you're determined to survive and find your way out.

A survival/dungeon crawl combo with an emphasis on gathering resources and having long "adventuring days" (between the exceedingly rare safe moments) during which you not only will encounter battles for survival, but also for food and water.

Having typed that out I might have to try this out with someone. Seems like it could be fun.

Sounds kinda like a variation of Out of the Abyss where things start even worse.

Magzimum
2018-07-13, 03:26 PM
Best for 1v1 play is to play 2 characters!

My advice would be: A druid and a pet. The pet levels up with the player, and acts as the melee fighter, while the other player character does all the social encounters (as well as the spellcasting, of course). The pet, in our case a tiger, is controlled by the player in combat, but is controlled by the DM in all roleplay. And since it's a cat, with cat intelligence, it does not do very much talking, or problem solving. It does cause for some interesting problems for the player: Not all villagers or city guards are thrilled when they see a great cat approach them! :)

I gave my player a young but mostly grown Tiger, which levels up with him. The tiger is initially based on the Panther from the Monster Manual, but levels up together with the player: increased HP, and once every so many levels also extra attacks or more damage.

It's a little work for me as a DM to level up the tiger, and to keep it balanced, but it makes for far more interesting combat, and it also reduces the impact of luck (i.e. crits on the side of the player or DM).

ciarannihill
2018-07-13, 04:20 PM
Sounds kinda like a variation of Out of the Abyss where things start even worse.

Haven't actually played Out of the Abyss, but I'll look into it for inspiration if I ever do this type of game.

Citan
2018-07-13, 06:38 PM
Building on that, half-elf valor bard is especially good. They're viable at nearly every aspect of the game.

Except for opening stuck doors. Strength checks in general, really. Might need a big, dumb hireling.
Well, they get Shatter though, and also Knock if I remember correctly. All is not lost. ^^

I feel you bro. XD

I'd actually say the opposite, since you don't have easy ways to sneak attack without friends.
Depends. For a ranged character, yeah, although nothing that a single level dip into a caster for Faerie Fire wouldn't solve (provided you think of it when creating character obviously). Nor just Hiding behind a big enough cover, possibly creating your own line of sight block if needed (Magic Initiate: Mold Earth).

For a melee character? A plain Expertise with dual-wielding will easily do the trick (Attack Shove, bonus action Sneak Attack) but there are also traps (Thief), Mage Hand / Grease / Web / Blindness (Arcane Trickster), "I don't need advantage to pierce you" (Swash)...
And that is before multiclassing options. ;)

2, always right up to level 20.
Moon Druid beast forms are imho overrated as far as resilience go. There are many fun ways to use them in fight in spite of that though (Druid being a caster in essence).

For all-around versatility, I'd recommend either Cleric (Knowledge) 1/Rogue (AT) X or Ranger (pick your flavor) 5/Rogue (pick your flavor) X

Solo, you'll want access to some sort of magical healing/utility, and enough skills to be able to handle all three pillars of play effectively. When it comes to combat, as a solo character, kiting is likely going to be your most effective tactic, so having access to the Cunning Action/Longstrider combination (along with maybe Mobility) is a good idea.
You probably meant Cleric Knowledge 2 right? For short-rest proficiency in whatever you may need?
That's indeed one key component of my all-around characters in WIS-based multiclasses. :)

Unoriginal
2018-07-13, 06:44 PM
Well, they get Shatter though, and also Knock if I remember correctly. All is not lost. ^^

And then the whole dungeon shows up because they heard you.

mgshamster
2018-07-13, 07:42 PM
It really depends on the adventure.

I could easily see myself playing every single class as a solo character, depending on the adventure.

Daithi
2018-07-14, 01:58 AM
If Unearthed Arcana is allowed, I like the Mystic. It is very well rounded, but psi points at low levels are sorely lacking. Therefore, starting with 2 levels of warlock would be very helpful.

bid
2018-07-14, 02:23 AM
If it adjusts to your "weak" combat power, you don't need a martial class. You prolly want as many tools and utilities to handle a variety of situations.

If you want to play a social/political game, bard is a good fit.
If you wan to play exploration, druid or ranger belong in the wilderness.
You could hire a bodyguard if you are an erudite wizard.

I think what will make it fun is how much variation you can handle. If you always apply the same formula it will become boring quickly.
It also depends if you use the mechanics as a crutch that limits you. Even a simple monk can transcend its limitation with good roleplay.

Exocist
2018-07-14, 02:54 AM

Plus you can call yourself Scott Pilgrim.

Wasp
2018-07-14, 03:47 AM
If you were also opened to multiclass suggestions, let me know and I'll double down on current post. :)
Thanks for the ideas! I would love to hear your multiclass suggestions.

Unoriginal
2018-07-14, 04:53 AM
Battlemaster Fighter/Hill Giant Soul Sorcerer could be pretty fun. Would let you go full movie prologue Sauron.

AstralFire
2018-07-14, 05:02 AM
Swashbuckler Rogue multiclassing into Hexbladelock.

- High mobility.
- Wide variety of skills.
- Really, really big damage when you Eldritch Smite. (Also, knocking people prone is fantastic for you.)

Aarakocra, Protector Aasimar, Eladrin, Half-Elf, Variant Human are your best options.

Exocist
2018-07-14, 08:45 AM

Warlock (Hexblade) 11/Sorcerer (You'll probably need Divine Soul) 9

1. Warlock (Hexblade)
2. Hexblade
3. Hexblade
4. Hexblade (Optional - this and the 5th level are sorcerer instead, Hexblade is the 6th and 7th level)
5. Hexblade
6. Sorcerer (Any)
7. Sorcerer (Any)
8. Sorcerer (Any)
9. Hexblade
10. Hexblade
11. Sorcerer
12. Hexblade
13. Hexblade
14. Sorcerer
15. Hexblade
16. Hexblade
17. Sorcerer
18. Sorcerer
19. Sorcerer
20. Sorcerer

Take Aspect of the Moon and go to town with the good ol' coffeelock.

Just kidding, don't put your DM through that... or if you do, make it so that your spell slots don't carry onto the next adventuring day. Even then, this build can spam lowish level spell slots like no tomorrow. It doesn't get super nuts until level 14, where it can create 14 3rd level slots (or 14 2nds + 14 1sts or 28 1sts or any combination thereof) using a "long rest" (8 straight short rests whereby your Warlock slots are burnt for Sorcery points which are converted into Sorcerer slots, you'll probably need some 1sts for Cure Wounds otherwise you can't heal) and still have 6 5th level slots for the day. Before that, you'll have to be content with 14 1st level slots (Level 5 or 7 depending on when you took sorcerer), then 14 2nd level slots (level 8).

Tralith
2018-07-14, 11:45 AM
In solo games I've played or DMed I can recall thieves, bards, sorcs, and druids.

I find that there tends to be less focus on combat in solo games so it helps to have a class that can bring more diversity to the table.

Tanarii
2018-07-14, 12:09 PM
In a solo dungeoneering came with heavy combat and low traps, I'd probably go with a War Cleric or Tempest cleric.

For a urban-focused game, a Bard. Any kind would work well, depending on what you expect to be facing, although Lore, Swords or Whsipers would probably be best.

Naanomi
2018-07-14, 12:23 PM
Human shadow monk, with prodigy (Stealth) and Urchin. Stealth my way through encounters, stunlock solo Scouts and the like, run away at blistering speeds if caught

BlackRose
2018-07-14, 12:41 PM
I did a solo run with a half elf valor bard once and very much enjoyed it. My only issue was that the bardic inspiration went completely to waste. I ended up reclassing as a swords bard instead and took a 1 level dip into fighter for a shield and defense. I knew the campaign would only be a few levels so I didn't bother taking a further dip investment into paladin but if the campaign had continued I likely would've gone for the pally instead of fighter.

I think a lot of classes have plenty of options to be manageable in a solo campaign, it likely just depends on how much information you have going in. Charisma casters do have an edge in the blind tho imo since it's so easy to multiclass with them and get the stuff you need to succeed. Sorlocks, sorcadins, and pallocks all have a nice edge in combat and social situations and going half elf or getting a background like criminal/outlander etc can hedge the skills in your favor to really cover your bases in the exploration area

Beelzebubba
2018-07-14, 01:23 PM
IMO the solo character will always be outnumbered, so the trick is being able to make conflicts happen on your terms - that typically means having a few different ways to do that - stealth, disguise, social appeal/manipulation, area control, etcetera. You need to be better at gathering intelligence, getting into and out of places, running away, and hindering pursuit.

If you can't do that, then you will be outmaneuvered, and then the truism hits - 'if you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough'.

I think it depends on the build more than the class.

Naanomi
2018-07-14, 01:55 PM
A very dedicated necromancer would be fun... play the game like chess or war-game instead of DnD

Speely
2018-07-14, 05:12 PM
I think Swords Bard would be so much fun for this.

Medium armor. Plenty of skills. Spell versatility. Can spend Bardic Inspiration on oneself. It's very much a jack of all trades, master of none build type. I would hesitate to make this character in a group, but solo it would freaking rock. The amount of situations they can deal with is insane.

Lord8Ball
2018-07-14, 05:44 PM
Variant, Human Wizard(conjurer), Knowledge cleric with keen mind feat and the Outlander background.
Pros:
Memory spellbook + minor illusion refresh on keen mind
Unable to be magically disarmed because you can summon components. Manacled/restrained? misty step.
Clerical abilities+ expertise arcana+ whatever knowlegde skill you want.
Can summon any item you want and it glows dim light 5ft.
Does not need to buy rations.
Can be an amazing naturalist with expertise in nature, keen mind(north sense),general terrain layout(Outlander).
High versatility and strategic abilities.

Cons:
Low Hp
Silence into grapple
Gagged while restrained

Fighter sorcerer would be hilarious if you levitate an enemy and ping arrows upon them.

Citan
2018-07-18, 09:07 AM
And then the whole dungeon shows up because they heard you.
Or, you are just smart enough to also learn the Silence spell, which happens to be of good taste enough to be a *ritual* on top of that... ;)
(Note: Knock is no problem even in a Silence area. Shatter however wouldn't work at all: at best the DM would houserule you can cast it normally and sound is produced, but since Silence also specifies that everything inside is immune to thunder damage it would still be a waste of spell slot).

Hey!

Sorry I'm coming back on this thread so late, very little time these days. :)

So, a few quick ideas for level 10-12 character, with primary objective being "able to answer as many situations as possible".
Meaning we want at least good stealth, a large variety of repeatable spells, a nice array of skills, decent resilience (AC >=17), basic martial (Extra Attack or weapon cantrip at worst).

WIS-based: Knowledge Cleric 3 / Gloomstalker Ranger 7 / Moon Druid 2(3 later)
All basic survivability spells (Bless, Goodberry, Healing Words, Pass Without Trace), all basic martial features (Extra Attack), normal resilience (medium armor, shield) and great added versatility with Wild Shape, along with many more spells when you get more levels in Druid then Cleric.
Observant will be the feat of choice to top WIS to 18.
Obviously a Dex & WIS build.
When possible, fitting a Ritual Caster: Wizard feat will help much answering even more situations.

Possible leveling: Ranger 1 > Cleric 2 > Druid 2 > Ranger 7 (utility over fight) or Ranger 2 > Cleric 1 > Ranger 5 > Cleric 2 & Druid 2 > xxx.
Or, taking into account more Druid/Cleric, keep the last level of Ranger (whether it's the 7th or 8th or more) as the last level so you can swap "Ranger spells" that are now available as Druid spells.

CHA-based: Hexblade Tome|Blade Warlock 5+ / Lore|Swords Bard 7+ (Shadow Sorcerer 1-2-3)
Warlock brings free control (EB with Repelling and Grasp of Hadar), armor (Shield + equipment), utility&defense (Hex, Counterspell), and either basic martial stuff (Blade)
Bard brings skill-monkeying (Expertise, Jack of All Trades, Enhance Ability, later Skill Empowerment), healing (Healing Words, Lesser Restoration IIRC) and whatever spell you like with Magic Secrets (Healing Spirit being a good pick among many others).

Possible leveling Warlock 1 > Bard 1 > Warlock 3 > Bard 5 > Warlock 5 > Bard 7 (keep balance between both classes, put focus on Bard after you get 2nd level slots so you can learn Rope Trick, Catnap and to-be-swapped-later Leomund's Tiny Hut to have control over your short-rests).

Or, with Sorcerer included from the get-go for extra cantrips and native concentration saves,

INT-based: Fighter 1 / Rogue 2 / Bladesinger Wizard 8+
Big deficiency of this build is complete lack of healing magic.
Besides that though, you're fairly good. How much versatility you really boast will be completely dependant on your DM.
If he doesn't play nice, this INT-based character is extremely inferior to the two previous ones.
If he loads you with many extra chances to learn spells, you will still be inferior, but overall far enough.
Among the great things of this build:
- native Constitution proficiency (usual weakness of Wizards).
- free bonus action to Dash or Disengage (Wizards never want to stay in melee).
- Expertise in Stealth or Athletics depending on your taste.
- Ability to sport 3 (dual-wielding) or 4 full-damage attacks (Haste) or two boosted attacks (Extra Attack + Shadow Blade).
- Direct access to the indispensable rituals (Leomund's, Phantom Steed, Gentle Repose).

STR-based: Bear Barbarian 5 + Rogue 7 (+ Battlemaster 3)
First brings big damage and extreme resilience, second brings great mobility and skills, last brings a bit of everything.
Of course you are much less versatile, but nothing that cannot be shored up partially with a Ritual Caster feat for utility. Skills-wise, barring a Skilled feat, nothing much to help.
Of course you have no magic healing, but you are sturdy enough to not care too much about it.
(Or multiclass into casters for out-of-rage utility/skill/healing).

DEX-based: Shadow|Kensei Monk 4(5-6) + Arcane Trickster 7(9).
First brings decent unarmored, bonus action defense (Dodge), Extra Attack and great stealth / utility spells (if stealth is priority, otherwise Kensei 6 ensures you always deal full damage with your Sneak Attacks thanks to magical weapon), second brings defense spells (Shield, Absorb Elements, Mirror Image / Blur), offense spells (Shadow Blade if you don't go Kensei), skills and another set of resilience options (Uncanny Dodge, Evasion).

And if you like the improbable mixes and don't care about being average at everything, you can mix and match for fun, thematic builds of overkill flexibility. :)

Luccan
2018-07-18, 04:45 PM
I've got an idea for a human Four Elements monk. Not a traditional monk upbringing: essentially a young member of a warrior-priest class on a tropical island nation whose gone on a spiritual journey.

If not that, I'd love to do a thieves' guild game. Build some kind of rogue.

But in a truly solo game, I'd be interested in playing a Half-Elven Paladin. Have Sword - Will Travel.

History_buff
2018-07-18, 05:01 PM
Hi everyone!

College of Swords Bard multiclassed with fighter 3 (take EK and get shield and absorb elements) or you can be slightly less martially inclined and take a level of sorcerer. Two or three levels of Paladin might be interesting too. Or two or three levels of Warlock.

You’ll have insane AC. Especially if you’re able to hit in melee, and a level of sorcerer or warlock would give you some great ranged options too.

You’ll be hard to hit. High casting ability. And versatile with bard spells, and low level spells from other classes. Shield and absorb elements are a must.

MaxWilson
2018-07-18, 05:44 PM
A very dedicated necromancer would be fun... play the game like chess or war-game instead of DnD

Note that you don't even have to be a necromancer to do this. You just need henchmen. I ran a solo campaign with one of my players on nights when others couldn't make it, and the PC (an Elven Fighter) spent most of his time recruiting NPCs (rolled on 3d6-in-order) to join his private army, and then training them up by taking mercenary contracts to hunt down pirates, etc. During combats I had him run all of his guys as well as himself.

Attrition amongst the NPCs was rather high. :-) The upside of skeletons is that you don't have to feel bad (or pay death benefits) when they die.

Aleister VII
2018-07-19, 08:07 AM
Half-elf Warlock, you got plenty of skills and a huge charisma for all social situation, agonizing eldritch blast is on par with a fighter's x4 attacks, you recharge on short rests and got plenty of customization options via eldritch invocations, furthermore what patron you choose may have a huge impact on how you play, wanna go melee? Pick Hexblade, wanna be a trickster? Archfey is here for you, you DM doesn't let you play an UA mystic? the great old one gives you telephaty and others mind stuffs, wanna be an archetypical warlock, the fiend is always making bargains, your DM is decided to kill you? The undying can help you to survive... maybe o.o need healing? Celestial warlocks are great at it while still being able of deal serious damage with EB.

Pact boons? Sure! Blade helps you in the melee department, you'll never be disarmed!
Tome gives you ALL the rituals and extra cantrips, of your going solo you'll want as much versatility as you can get and lastly... feeling lonely on your solo campaign? Pact of the chain gives you an improved familiar!

So... here we've social skills, versatility and respectable at will damage via EB, if you aren't a fiend or hexblade grab a few EB improving invocations, repelling blast keeps the enemies out of your melee range and lance of lethargy slow them So they won't be able to reach you So easily and even if they do you have armor of agathys...

Did I mention Hex? Because you also get hex to further improve your damage output.

People don't like Warlocks? Lie! Grab proficiency in deception and persuasion and claim to be a wizard or a sorcerer, if you pick celestial you can also pose as a cleric!

wanna smite? Pick hexblade, pact of the blade and grab the Eldritch smite invocation, congratulations you now are a very SAD Pseudo-paladin.

Need darkvision? There's an invocation for that, in fact even if you have it via your racial traits you'll want devil's sigh to pull out the infamous darkness combo, cast darkness on yourself have the aforementioned invocation and suddenly all of your attacks has advantage and those against you have disvantage, usually your party will be annoyed by this but you're going solo So... who cares?

There're also plenty of innovations that allows you to cast spells AT WILL, some are useless but at will disguise self and alter self later on is just what a social character needs.

All in all warlock is IMO the most customizable class and the only downsides are how limited the number of spells you can know (but you recharge in short rests, auto upcast things like armor of agathys and can get all the rituals with pact of the tome), your lack of armor proficiency (fix it with a feat or pick hexblade), you hit die can be better (actually better than a sorcerer or a wizard and you can get temp. HP with the fiend or casting armor of agathys) lack healing (celestial patron gives you some healing if you really need it) and are limited to simple weapons (chances are that you're an eldritch blaster and don't care about weapons, you take pact of the blade and are proficient with whatever that's your pact weapon OR are a hexblade and gain proficiency with martial weapons, medium armor AND shields).

So... You have plenty of options here, a few ones stop you from grabbing others but even So you'll be amazing in most cases.

My suggested build for a solo run will be a Hexblade Tomelock, it gives you medium armor, shield, martial weapons that works with charisma, even more damage with Hexblade's curse, extra cantrips (Grab BB and GFB), ALL the rituals and keeps you competitive in both melee and ranged yet you'll prefer to EB from afar and keep your weapon sheathed unless someone you get into melee, if that happen use BB and run away with an spell or invocation (I know that you can get away from melee with certain invocation but I can't remember what one x.x), you may also consider mobile, spell sniper + BB and a reach weapon or warcaster if you like to keep your weapon in hand.
This build is also quite SAD, just pump you charisma to 20 as soon as you can, start with 14 dexterity to get the most of your medium armor and put whatever remaining ASI in constitution, make sure to at least have 10 in wisdom and/or pick the alert feat, you're going solo and you can't afford to be ambushed.
If you REALLY need an extra feat start as a V. Human instead of half-elf, it doesn't hurt that much if you're going to take devil's sigh and you still get an extra proficiency, make sure of grab Deception and persuasion, I'm not a big fan of intimidation but if you like it then grab it too, the idea is always start lying, if that fails move to persuasion and if that somehow fails too try with intimidation, chances are that whoever that you're dealing with is already hostile at this point.

So... any thoughts? I'm exaggerating or rule something wrongly?

Edit: Aspect of the Moon eliminates the need of eat and sleep, I think that it's worth mentioning, if your DM puts you on a survival on the wilderness or on a watch at the night you can just laugh.