PDA

View Full Version : Sword of wounding question

Scarytincan
2018-07-13, 08:41 PM
If I hit someone twice with a sword of wounding and they fail the saving throw for both, how many instances of necrotic damage are dealt? Would it be 2d4 or 1d4 + 1d4? I'm kind of leaning towards the latter myself based on the wording...

Lunali
2018-07-13, 11:16 PM
My reading of it would be 2d4, but either could be taken as correct. (assuming the two hits were on separate turns) Would help to know why you care how many instances of damage there are.

DerficusRex
2018-07-13, 11:20 PM
If I hit someone twice with a sword of wounding and they fail the saving throw for both, how many instances of necrotic damage are dealt? Would it be 2d4 or 1d4 + 1d4? I'm kind of leaning towards the latter myself based on the wording...

How is 2d4 different from 1d4 + 1d4? As I read it, the interaction would go like this:

On your turn, you attack and hit with the sword and elect to apply a wound. The wound doesn't inflict any extra damage right away, nor does the target get a save yet.
At the start of the target's next turn, they take 1d4 damage and then get to make a saving throw
On your second turn, you hit again and apply a second wound (can only apply one wound per turn)
At the start of the target's second turn, they take 2d4 damage (since two wounds are now present) and then get to make one more saving throw
At the start of their subsequent turns, assuming they don't get any more wounds, they'd take 2d4 and then get to make one saving throw. Once they succeed on the save or someone succeeds on a Medicine check for them, all the wounds end.

lperkins2
2018-07-13, 11:28 PM
How is 2d4 different from 1d4 + 1d4? As I read it, the interaction would go like this:

Only thing I can think of is the zombie's ability to not die by making a con save against damage dealt. 1d4 + 1d4 is 2 con saves at a lower DC, vs 2d4 with one slightly harder con save. There may be other places where it matters (damage at 0 hp and automatic failure on death saves).

DerficusRex
2018-07-13, 11:43 PM
Only thing I can think of is the zombie's ability to not die by making a con save against damage dealt. 1d4 + 1d4 is 2 con saves at a lower DC, vs 2d4 with one slightly harder con save. There may be other places where it matters (damage at 0 hp and automatic failure on death saves).

That's a good point. It could trigger two concentration checks instead of one that way as well. Personally, I don't think I'd be mean enough to rule it as two separate applications of damage. :)

Scarytincan
2018-07-14, 12:41 AM
Zombie is another. I was thinking for hex and concentration saves

leogobsin
2018-07-14, 12:45 AM
Zombie is another. I was thinking for hex and concentration saves

Hex applies bonus damage whenever you "hit with an attack", not "deal damage", so it wouldn't trigger at all from the Sword of Wounding's damage.

Scarytincan
2018-07-14, 01:19 AM
Hex applies bonus damage whenever you "hit with an attack", not "deal damage", so it wouldn't trigger at all from the Sword of Wounding's damage.

Good catch thanks. Been toying with a large variety of potential theory crafts for my next character and haven't delved into all the details like that yet.

RSP
2018-07-14, 08:48 AM

Hexblade’s Curse on the other hand, would apply for each roll of damage, so it would be 1d4+prof, and 1d4+prof; vs 2d4+prof.

Degwerks
2018-07-14, 11:54 AM
Hexblade’s Curse on the other hand, would apply for each roll of damage, so it would be 1d4+prof, and 1d4+prof; vs 2d4+prof.

That's a good catch right there. I had originally thought it was on attack like Hex spell.

RSP
2018-07-14, 12:05 PM
That's a good catch right there. I had originally thought it was on attack like Hex spell.

Yeah, Hexblades Curse is used much more frequently. It’s even added to things like Shadow of Moil’s retributed damage.

Degwerks
2018-07-14, 08:02 PM
So if you also had Hex on a target with Hexblade Curse, and you attacked twice and hit, would it be weapon + proficiency +hex die + proficiency, and again on 2nd attack? Because Hexblade Curse says for damage rolls.

RSP
2018-07-14, 10:53 PM
So if you also had Hex on a target with Hexblade Curse, and you attacked twice and hit, would it be weapon + proficiency +hex die + proficiency, and again on 2nd attack? Because Hexblade Curse says for damage rolls.

In my opinion, with the wording of Hex (“you deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage to the target whenever you hit it with an attack”), it’s one damage roll in which Hex’s d6 just adds on to the weapon damage roll (or spell damage roll). Now if you had a second damage roll, like a poison effect that has a DC to resist on a hit and then a dice roll, that would add prof as well.

Kadesh
2018-07-15, 01:46 AM
No. Yu make one damage roll, you are rolling multiple damage dice. Or else your argument could be expanded to mean that greatswords deal double prof damage thanks to having 2d6 damage.

lperkins2
2018-07-15, 11:04 AM
No. Yu make one damage roll, you are rolling multiple damage dice. Or else your argument could be expanded to mean that greatswords deal double prof damage thanks to having 2d6 damage.

Not to mention Rogue's Sneak Attack...

Degwerks
2018-07-15, 11:19 AM
So besides attacks, spells like fireball and lightning bolt etc, Hex Blade Curse procs once per damage instance. But will also proc for poison, Shadow of Moil, Fire Shield, and a Sword of Wounding. Is there any more spells like this or items that would also work?

RSP
2018-07-15, 09:48 PM
So besides attacks, spells like fireball and lightning bolt etc, Hex Blade Curse procs once per damage instance. But will also proc for poison, Shadow of Moil, Fire Shield, and a Sword of Wounding. Is there any more spells like this or items that would also work?

Bestow Curse is similarly worded (“Your attacks and spells deal an extra 1d8 necrotic damage...”), though I’m not sure the spell is worth it. BC will also work with spells like AoA though that don’t even have damage rolls.

Still, it’s probably better just to cast a different spell with a better effect on a failed Wis Sv.