PDA

View Full Version : Someone in your life becomes a 20th level caster

Calthropstu
2018-07-13, 08:57 PM
So I have seen many threads here asking "what would you do if you became (super caster flavor)

But, what if, instead, you could choose one person other than yourself to recieve that kind of power? Who would you give it to? Which class would you give them? Why?

Malimar
2018-07-13, 10:30 PM
Can I resurrect Mr. Rogers and give it to him? He's the only person I can think of I'd trust with that kind of power.

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-13, 10:50 PM
In all of my life I have never met even one single person about whom I would think that giving them an obnoxious amount of power would accomplish anything good. Better that we all learn to work together to overcome the challenges facing us in this world than that we place such a burden of responsibility upon the shoulders of any one individual.

Vizzerdrix
2018-07-14, 02:29 AM
Can I resurrect Mr. Rogers and give it to him? He's the only person I can think of I'd trust with that kind of power.

/Topic. Dude was a freaking saint.

Bad Wolf
2018-07-14, 03:55 AM
Whoever they are, I'm making them a Cleric of Pelor. Only good alignments, so less chance of screwing things up.

Elysiume
2018-07-14, 04:46 AM
Probably the dumbest person I know so they can't even cast a cantrip with their negative int mod. I don't think I'd want a 20th level caster running around.

Calthropstu
2018-07-14, 05:59 AM
Lol. Should have known. Ask about powers for YOU, get a few hundred posts. Powers for someone else? NOPE.

Hooray for selfishness.

Me, I'd give it to my daughter on her 21st birthday. Give me time to prep her for it. Then wish her luck. I'd pick Life Oracle so she would gain channels, be able to heal anything and anyone, and be able to pick all sorts of utility.

She wants to be a doctor so seems like the right call.

ben-zayb
2018-07-14, 06:50 AM
Lol. Should have known. Ask about powers for YOU, get a few hundred posts. Powers for someone else? NOPE.

Hooray for selfishness.

Me, I'd give it to my daughter on her 21st birthday. Give me time to prep her for it. Then wish her luck. I'd pick Life Oracle so she would gain channels, be able to heal anything and anyone, and be able to pick all sorts of utility.

More like trust issues. Being confident that you can handle a 20th level caster powers responsibly is a completely different animal than trusting another autonomous sapient creature of that same thing.

When making that choice, I'd prefer that person to be 1. incorruptible by power, 2. has the mental attribute to allow him to cast spells, 3. capable of best knowing how to use his powers for the benefit of everyone, and 4. good enough to know how he can keep his power from being used by people with their own personal agenda. To be fair, I don't possess all of these characteristics, but as I said granting yourself power could involve a completely different parameter of decision-making.

Now, with these parameters in mind, and from my knowledge of people, personally and from public images of other people, I guess I won't be giving the power to anyone.

2018-07-14, 07:03 AM

Hooray for selfishness.

For what it's worth, my post in the other thread more or less acknowledges that I don't really trust myself with that power either, or even trust myself to pick the right people to put in charge. My 3 steps are more or less "become immortal, replace all rich people with politically-motivated angels, then catch up on my shows while exercising my way to godhood". The people in charge of actually running the world are very deliberately the embodiment of Law and Good as determined by the standards of the multiverse, so if anybody can be trusted, it's them. I don't doubt that if the previous thread had included a line like "also, do you think you were the kind of person this power should've been given to", every single person would've said "no".

On the flip side of that...I'd like to say that there's a person in my life I think wouldn't either be corrupted by that kind of power or wouldn't make well-meaning but horrible decisions with it, but...TBH I don't think I know well enough the kind of person they are to determine how they'd even react to gaining this kind of power, which is kinda the problem. Ask me how I'd use it, I can tell you lots of stuff. Ask me who I'd give it to, and I can maybe shoot off a name, but I couldn't even begin to tell you how I'd think they'd use it, so the conversion goes "who would you give it to" "this person" and that's about as deep as the conversation can get.

*thinks for a few minutes*

...I guess if I was gonna give it to anybody, it'd probably be my dad? Familiar with D&D, fairly smart, mildly pacifistic, and he's on a short list of people I've known my entire life so I've got a slightly better handle on him than on other people. I think he'd do alright with it? But I'm not sure.

Manyasone
2018-07-14, 07:07 AM

Hooray for selfishness.

I can agree with that sentiment. Especially with the age part. My 2 girls are 6 and 10. If i give that power to my youngest...
Well, I think the world would tremble whenever she doesn't get her way :smallsmile:
My eldest I would probably make an Incanter

BowStreetRunner
2018-07-14, 07:25 AM
More like trust issues. Being confident that you can handle a 20th level caster powers responsibly is a completely different animal than trusting another autonomous sapient creature of that same thing.Which is oftentimes the very nature of the problem. People who tend to be overconfident that they can handle a significant amount of power are generally the last people you want actually having that much power. The Greeks knew this, as evidenced by the story of Socrates and the Oracle at Delphi who named him the wisest person even though he himself claimed not to be wise at all. For many positions of extreme power that also come with immense burdens of responsibility, the first sign someone isn't qualified is that they actually want the job.

I've read through most of the posts from that other thread about what people would do with that much power themselves and think that it's a good thing most of them don't have it. I'm pretty sure if such power were suddenly handed out to a bunch of people, there would be more super-villains in the world than superheroes to combat them.

Quertus
2018-07-14, 09:17 AM
Pretty much what others have said.

There really isn't anyone I'd trust with that kind of power - including myself.

legomaster00156
2018-07-14, 10:01 AM
Whoever becomes this caster will be, specifically, a level 20 Paladin (technically a caster). If they ever commit an evil act, they lose all powers, and there is nobody to cast Atonement on them.

Awakeninfinity
2018-07-14, 02:43 PM
I'd give it to everyone but me... I'd rather grow into a powerful individual anyways; instead of having power thrust into my hands.

But if I had to chose one person- then no one at all. Only one person wouldn't want to control themselves; they would be not unlike an uncontested sith lord. Other people as powerful as them might give them all a few moment's pause to consider their actions... Or not.

Andor13
2018-07-14, 03:04 PM
Odd that it doesn't occur to anyone to pick a class like Bard or Healer which is less subject to reality warping abuse. I mean, would a 20th level Paladin really be able to go full tyrant?

Also, giving Jane Goodall or Steve Irwin the powers of a 20th level Druid would probably be bad for a bunch of poachers and industrialists, but good for the world at large.

The thread makes it unclear if only people we know are eligible, or if all of history is open to us. If history, then I'd probably pick Ben Franklin. Not sure if Wizard or Cleric, either way, it should be a hoot.

Braininthejar2
2018-07-14, 03:25 PM
Question: Do you know anyone with a casting stat at 19?

because without that, the amount of available power is seriously limited.

Elysiume
2018-07-14, 04:11 PM
Question: Do you know anyone with a casting stat at 19?

because without that, the amount of available power is seriously limited.As long as your int/wis/cha is decently high, you could craft a +int/wis/cha enhancement item. The conversion rate between 3.P gold and real life gold is incredibly murky, but anyone who's very smart/wise/charismatic is probably in the 15-16 range, and a +4 enhancement item isn't that unreasonable. If you're a caster that can cast Remove Disease, you could probably just set up a clinic removing terminal diseases from the ultra-wealthy until you get enough money to start breaking the universe.

Blue Wizard
2018-07-14, 04:26 PM
Can I think of people I'd trust with that much power? Absolutely! My mother, three male relatives, and fifteen men to whom I am related in no way.

How could I trust them? Easy! I know they rules they live by that govern their lives, have seen their loyalty to those principles tested, and they have come out alright.

More importantly, I know that none of them got their morality out of comic books, or watching Hollywood movies.

I would not hesitate at all to make any one of those people a 20th level full-on spellcaster, of whatever sort they desired to be.

Although, for preference, I'd pick Cleric for them. Only in part because of the healing they could do, but also because of this lovely little 2nd ed clerical spell called Ceremony, which can be cast to turn any other willing person into a 1st level cleric.

Erit
2018-07-14, 05:09 PM

I dunno, hitting someone with an Oracle's curse seems kinda... harsh? Might just be me, though.

Personally, I'm tempted to make someone like Bricky or Pewdiepie a Bard or Sorcerer, Jester if we're allowing Dragon Compendium from 3.5. Maximum laughs, slightly less than maximum undoing of the world order because spontaneous casters aren't quite as horrific.

Braininthejar2
2018-07-14, 05:22 PM
As long as your int/wis/cha is decently high, you could craft a +int/wis/cha enhancement item. The conversion rate between 3.P gold and real life gold is incredibly murky, but anyone who's very smart/wise/charismatic is probably in the 15-16 range, and a +4 enhancement item isn't that unreasonable. If you're a caster that can cast Remove Disease, you could probably just set up a clinic removing terminal diseases from the ultra-wealthy until you get enough money to start breaking the universe.

Magic items aren't made of gold. The cost represents exotic components, some of which might be unavailable in our world - we don't even have mithril.

Jack_Simth
2018-07-14, 05:26 PM
Probably my dad.

I dunno, hitting someone with an Oracle's curse seems kinda... harsh? Might just be me, though.Depends on the curse. Something like, say, the Aboleth curse (first one on This List (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/oracle-curses/)) is... -2 to saves vs. things nobody else has. Similarly-harmless ones are Accursed (no Morale bonuses, which just means can't benefit from certain spells - there's actually a few like that); it's easy to avoid the problems from Legalistic; Tongues only applies in battle. And so on. The Oracle's Curse is intended as a helpful class feature, and there's ways around most of the problems even within the game.

Eldest
2018-07-14, 06:54 PM
One of my exes. Easy. Talk to her first, make sure she wants the power and which type of caster she wants to be.

Elysiume
2018-07-14, 07:00 PM
Magic items aren't made of gold. The cost represents exotic components, some of which might be unavailable in our world - we don't even have mithril.They're made out of exotic components worth a certain amount of gold, though. What the materials are isn't RAW, but the gold price is.

unseenmage
2018-07-14, 07:08 PM
Magic items aren't made of gold. The cost represents exotic components, some of which might be unavailable in our world - we don't even have mithril.

3.x True Creation. Problem solved?

DarkSoul
2018-07-14, 08:24 PM
Magic items aren't made of gold. The cost represents exotic components, some of which might be unavailable in our world - we don't even have mithril.Yeah we do. We just use an unnecessarily complex name for it, like "titanium alloy".

ben-zayb
2018-07-14, 09:33 PM
As long as your int/wis/cha is decently high, you could craft a +int/wis/cha enhancement item.Unless you are Diogenes. Or Tesla. (Assuming the scenario where you can give it to anyone at any point in history)

Manyasone
2018-07-15, 12:43 PM
Yeah we do. We just use an unnecessarily complex name for it, like "titanium alloy".

Hmmm, so hobbits are made out of titanium alloy....

Quertus
2018-07-15, 01:44 PM
Can I think of people I'd trust with that much power? Absolutely! My mother, three male relatives, and fifteen men to whom I am related in no way.

How could I trust them? Easy! I know they rules they live by that govern their lives, have seen their loyalty to those principles tested, and they have come out alright.

"Live with a man 40 years. Share his house, his meals. Speak on every subject. Then tie him up, and hold him over the volcano's edge. And on that day, you will finally meet the man."

Should I be concerned just how close to the volcano you live? :smalleek: