PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need help with 5E AL dwarven champion

bloodgroove
2018-07-14, 11:32 AM
Will be taking a break from playing clerics with this next character. Looking to
to play a simple (some what) warhammer and board dwarven champion. Will also take a 1-3 level dip
in cleric (can't stop) but not really sure what domain.

starting stats with racial bonuses (mtn dwarf)
str: 17
dex: 12
con: 17
int: 8
wis: 13
cha: 8

first ASI would be split between str and con, next ASI would probably be str but would look into useful feats.
Leaning towards either war or grave domain for my cleric dip.
Looking for any advice to make this a fun serviceable build.

Naanomi
2018-07-14, 11:36 AM
I wouldn’t dip cleric (if I had to it would be forge domain)

Tralith
2018-07-14, 12:06 PM
Instead of a fighter with a dip into cleric, why not play a paladin? You'll still have a martial focus and some spells.

Aett_Thorn
2018-07-14, 12:25 PM
Or, if you are going to dip, go Druid instead for a bit of a change. Turn into a squirrel for some scouting, or a mouse to get into places.

SLOTHRPG95
2018-07-14, 12:35 PM
That depends on why you're dipping. If it's to boost your combat abilities via the War domain (and certain spells), I wouldn't bother. You're better off as a single-classed Fighter. If you want to be able to in emergencies provide a little secondary healing, one level to get the Grave domain's Circle of Mortality seems enough.

Naanomi
2018-07-14, 12:36 PM
Or, if you are going to dip, go Druid instead for a bit of a change. Turn into a squirrel for some scouting, or a mouse to get into places.
Druid really ruins the access to armor that is probably important to a sword-and-board Dwarf

Aett_Thorn
2018-07-14, 12:51 PM
Druid really ruins the access to armor that is probably important to a sword-and-board Dwarf

Not sure how often that fluff restriction is enforced in AL, but it's a fair point. If allowed, though, it would be a fun change-up for them, I think.

Naanomi
2018-07-14, 12:55 PM
Not sure how often that fluff restriction is enforced in AL, but it's a fair point. If allowed, though, it would be a fun change-up for them, I think.
It isn’t considered a fluff restriction, but a mechanical one, by AL interpretation (though there are a few non-metal heavy armors to be found here and there)

Six levels of forge Cleric and defensive combat style can get you 23 AC

bloodgroove
2018-07-14, 02:05 PM
That depends on why you're dipping. If it's to boost your combat abilities via the War domain (and certain spells), I wouldn't bother. You're better off as a single-classed Fighter. If you want to be able to in emergencies provide a little secondary healing, one level to get the Grave domain's Circle of Mortality seems enough.

I'd be dipping to provide a little secondary healing as people rarely want to play clerics in my groups so I'm it.
I have two dwarven life clerics, one 9th and the other 11th.

Aett_Thorn
2018-07-14, 02:08 PM
It isn’t considered a fluff restriction, but a mechanical one, by AL interpretation (though there are a few non-metal heavy armors to be found here and there)

Six levels of forge Cleric and defensive combat style can get you 23 AC

Bah! That’s too bad about the armor restriction.

Then yeah, Forge cleric is a great, and thematic, dip

Specter
2018-07-14, 03:03 PM
Resilient (WIS). Your stats are begging for it.

opaopajr
2018-07-15, 10:05 AM
I don't feel the burning pressure to have 17s in both STR & CON for four levels before I can even them out, especially in AL since it is not Milestone Leveling. But to each their own.

If you are stuck on feeling obliged to heal the party, I would not sacrifice Champion levels to do it. I would go through feats, possibly Inspiring Leader or Healer. If you feel you need more, you could go Purple Dragon Knight (Baronette) and add that to the feats above. And then there's always buying Healing Potions...

But then killing things quickly is a form of 'preventative healing' all its own. That and having players learn to cooperate and coordinate. It's AL, I'd just rock an interesting background (maybe Criminal for the Stealth & Thieves Tools), diversify my weapons, and call it a day.