PDA

View Full Version : Question about alignment and certain spells

CopperElfCleric
2018-07-14, 12:19 PM
If a CN divine caster of a Trickster deity wanted to cast spells with the "evil" descriptor, could they? Simple question, I'm sorry, but I don't have my books with me at the moment. Thank you. So not the evil domain, but with the evil descriptor.

CEC

sleepyphoenixx
2018-07-14, 12:26 PM
Yes. Clerics are only restricted from casting spells opposed to their or their deities alignment.
So you can cast good, evil and chaotic spells just fine as a CN cleric (assuming your deity is N or CN as well), but not lawful ones.

SLOTHRPG95
2018-07-14, 12:38 PM
This is wholly correct, but to be clear: if your deity is CG, you CANNOT cast Evil spells.

Goaty14
2018-07-14, 12:48 PM
As an add-on: If you end up casting the [Evil] spell one too many times, then the DM (by RAW) is fully obligated to change your alignment.

CopperElfCleric
2018-07-14, 02:14 PM
Thank you guys. That helps very much!

Gemini476
2018-07-14, 04:40 PM
As an add-on: If you end up casting the [Evil] spell one too many times, then the DM (by RAW) is fully obligated to change your alignment.

Although do note that this is not that big an issue if your deity is also Chaotic Neutral.
If your deity is Chaotic Good or True Neutral, however, changing to Chaotic Evil means that you're now two steps away from them alignment-wise and thus run into clerical issues.

Also, of course, becoming Chaotic Evil has its own slew of issues in other areas - the most immediate one is probably that any Paladins in your party risk breaking their Code of Conduct.