PDA

View Full Version : Tweak to sacred fist.

Belzyk
2018-07-14, 11:22 PM
So I was wondering. I have a player wanting to play a cleric monk and rely more on the melee aspect. And wanted input on how broken would allowing them in sacred fist to sacrifice a spellslot for d6s to melee smh? As like divine empowering?

P.s. super tired so sorry if explanation sucks.

weckar
2018-07-15, 12:03 AM
Make it in line with similar abilities: d6 times the level of the slot, sacrifice a stunning fist attempt

heavyfuel
2018-07-15, 12:29 AM
Not broken at all. My only worry is that Sacred Fist is already a very strong class, but otherwise, allowing any slot (except a 0th slot) for an extra 1d6 damage is actually very subpar.

Arcane Strike feat allows you sacrifice X spell slot for +X attack and +Xd4 damage.

If you allow X slot for Xd6 damage it's about on par with the feat. A bit worse, but it doesn't require arcane spells, so you might as well allow it.

weckar
2018-07-15, 01:15 AM
Sacred Fist is already a very strong class,
*SPITTAKE*

Man, you gotta warn me before you say something like that!

Andezzar
2018-07-15, 03:07 AM
If you go by text trumps table, yes it is.

heavyfuel
2018-07-15, 08:29 AM
*SPITTAKE*

Man, you gotta warn me before you say something like that!

Full BAB, Full casting, two good saves, progresses the monk's abilities. How is this class not strong? Sure, there are harsh pre-reqs and class features are a bit lacking but you can't have everything.

JNAProductions
2018-07-15, 08:37 AM
Full BAB, Full casting, two good saves, progresses the monk's abilities. How is this class not strong? Sure, there are harsh pre-reqs and class features are a bit lacking but you can't have everything.

Full BAB is meh.

Full casting is strong as all hell. (Although, table says it's only 8/10.)

Two good saves are nice, but hardly OP.

Progressing Monk abilities is a cute ribbon.

And I was gonna say it requires you to be a Monk beforehand, but it technically doesn't. That being said, a pure Cleric, built well, will be much stronger than a Cleric/Sacred Fist.

heavyfuel
2018-07-15, 08:45 AM
a pure Cleric, built well, will be much stronger than a Cleric/Sacred Fist.

Just because a class isn't as strong as a well built Tier 1 class doesn't mean the class isn't very strong.

The Viscount
2018-07-15, 09:48 AM
For on topic discussion: This would be fine if you added it to the class. It's a rough equivalent to the arcane strike feat, so not insanely powerful to add to the class, since cleric isn't swimming in spellslots to the extent that say, Duskblade is.

Full BAB is meh.

Full casting is strong as all hell. (Although, table says it's only 8/10.)

Two good saves are nice, but hardly OP.

Progressing Monk abilities is a cute ribbon.

And I was gonna say it requires you to be a Monk beforehand, but it technically doesn't. That being said, a pure Cleric, built well, will be much stronger than a Cleric/Sacred Fist.
Regardless of whether it excites you, Full BAB is undeniably better than the average that cleric has.

The table does indeed say 8/10. It's a good thing that text trumps table is an explicit rule from WotC.

As you pointed out, you can enter as pure Cleric. What makes you say that a pure Cleric will be "much stronger" than a Sacred Fist? Is having more feats for selection, advancing turning, and having good will instead of reflex that important to you? I mean sure, more feat selection is always good, but that much?