PDA

View Full Version : Two worlds

EvilElitest
2007-09-10, 06:49 PM
has anybody heard of it? Just by the by, i have heard next to nothing about it, so has anybody played it? If so, do tell about the pros and cons of the game.
thank you
from,
EE

Logic
2007-09-10, 07:01 PM
The opinion of Tim Buckley (writer for Ctrl-Alt-Delete) is that it is terrible.

His initial reaction (http://www.cad-comic.com/news.php?i=1463) and his clarification. (http://www.cad-comic.com/news.php?i=1465)

Based on that, I doubt I will invest in it.

Tom_Violence
2007-09-10, 07:36 PM
There was this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54848) about it a little while back. From the opinions of people in that thread, its hard work, but rewarding after you get properly into it.

The opinion of me is that the opinion of anyone willing to spew out something like Ctrl-Alt-Del is worth next to nothing, as I trust his judgment about as much as I expect to ever laugh at one of his comics. :smalltongue:

Two Worlds strikes me as a fairly low-budget, inexperienced affair, the results of which are a game that means well but lacks polish. If I had the money, I'd give it a look, as I suspect there are some rough gems hidden beneath its surface.

Midnight Son
2007-09-10, 07:43 PM
I bought it because some friends did and it has online play. Haven't gotten very far in it yet, though, so I make no judgements at this time.

Daze
2007-09-11, 06:38 PM
The reviews I've read are generally poor-fair...

Subpar graphics, repetitive action, shallow character depth, poor menu layout, short and unoriginal story. From the impression I got, it's the type of game where you can collect hundreds of different weapons, but your strategy never changes... hack n' slash all the way, rogues and wizards need not apply.

Morty
2007-09-12, 11:59 AM
hack n' slash all the way, rogues and wizards need not apply.

Actually, from what I've heard after half of the game you're wizard, warrior and rogue at the same time anyway.
This game actually recieved good marks in the gaming magazine I've read, but it represents the genre I hate fiercely, i.e hack'n'slash pretending to be RPG. And from what I see, aforementioned gaming magazine overrated this game anyway.

Daze
2007-09-12, 09:07 PM
Actually, from what I've heard after half of the game you're wizard, warrior and rogue at the same time anyway.
This game actually recieved good marks in the gaming magazine I've read, but it represents the genre I hate fiercely, i.e hack'n'slash pretending to be RPG. And from what I see, aforementioned gaming magazine overrated this game anyway.

Well yeah, you get spells and thief abilities and such... but doesn't much matter if they're not effective. From what I understand the only real way to succeed in the game is to use one of the hundreds of weapons and hack your way through.

I dont like hackers being portrayed as RPG's either... I mean, hack and slash can be fun as a change of pace once in awhile, but there is no need to market something disingenuously.

BR4life
2007-09-13, 09:26 AM
Iv have it for the xbox 360 and i love it. The gameplay is addicting and online is always fun. They are supposed to be coming out with a patch to fix online lag issues but after that the pvp will also be really fun. As for graphics, they are really good exept in cutscenes and when you get close ups on people faces. Voice acting is really bad. The world is about 33% bigger than Oblivion and has many diffrent regions. Some of the regions are the typical forest, desert, Oriental forests (bamboo), coast, and dead lands. There is a lot to do in the game, and unlike oblivion everything has a preset level and doesnt lvl up with you. One other negetive thing that i have found about it is that when you die you just respawn which makes the fights seem less important. ex: You run into a Orc warcamp, injure a couple but die from the archers. You respawn run in again take out some more and repeat until you have completed what you wanted to do. Over all i would give this about a 7/10. I believe this is the first real game from the developer so its bound to have more problems than a well funded company like Bethesda or Lions Head. If you have a good computer there is a downloadable demo on their website.

Edit:
From what i have found this is thier fourth game. The other games they developed are knightshift 2, World War 3: Black gold, and Earth 2160.

banjo1985
2007-09-13, 09:35 AM
I saw this game in a shop the other day, and was immediately interested in it, because of it's apparaent similarity to Oblivion, which I love. The thing that stopped me from buying was that I hadn't heard anything at all about it, which set a few alarm bells off in my mind. Judging by most of the opinions included here I made the right choice!

I'm going to wait for the Game of the Year version of Oblivion to come out, I think its best to stick with that!

Morty
2007-09-13, 10:16 AM
Well yeah, you get spells and thief abilities and such... but doesn't much matter if they're not effective. From what I understand the only real way to succeed in the game is to use one of the hundreds of weapons and hack your way through.

Well, I don't know. The guy who was making a review I've read wrote that he started out as fighter, but after some time he had enough magic power to decimate opponents with single spell while being good warrior at the same time.

I dont like hackers being portrayed as RPG's either... I mean, hack and slash can be fun as a change of pace once in awhile, but there is no need to market something disingenuously.

Well, hack'n'slashes are fun but problem is, recently more and more of them are marketed as RPGs. Example is Oblivion.

Daze
2007-09-13, 01:29 PM
Well, hack'n'slashes are fun but problem is, recently more and more of them are marketed as RPGs. Example is Oblivion.

I wouldnt go so far as to call Oblivion hack 'n' slash... If anything it's an FPS-RPG hybrid. There's just way too much other stuff going on in any Elder Scrolls game to label them anything but unique.

Driderman
2007-09-13, 02:44 PM
My boss, at EB games, says its a delightful if too easy hybrid of Oblivion and Diablo, although what somewhat poor voice acting. So if you're into that sort of thing it might be something for you