PDA

View Full Version : Call for submissions;

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-15, 04:36 AM
Good day to all of you reading this, I really like the home brew section of this site, and, it has filled me with a new hunger to return to dungeons and dragons. The stuff in here is rather scintillating and really makes me hunger to try new things. Yes, it is full of non combat oriented play!

Now,

I have put together, with the rights my company Hydra bought, a game based on all the games I enjoyed playing, along with my own system and intellectual property, and modified all these into a d30 system. They all blend and sync for a giant whopper of a game - you know r.i.f.t.s? Sort of like that...

So,

This game needs more home brew ideas for the second edition! Yes, 'uncle Sam wants you!' This is where you can get paid and mentioned in the credits of our game with your original home brew designs, if we acquire them from you.

And,

As a layman psychologist, I for a long time have thought that everybody has a great deal of 'original ideas' to add to the mix of games, and, all things in life. Those that successfully put pen to paper and present these ideas - no it is not one in a million that can come up with their own 'forged ideas,' - to the world, make money and get famous.

Sound cool? Your cup of tea?

If you are interested, please contact my connection; "[email protected]" with your submissions? He will probably consume anything original, of course!

brian 333
2018-07-15, 08:04 AM
Homebrew is a huge category. What, exactly, do you want? Adventures? Characters? Settings? Monsters?

Eldan
2018-07-15, 09:35 AM
Yeah, what Brian said. Also we can't brew for a system we don't know.

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-15, 10:21 AM
Yeah, what Brian said. Also we can't brew for a system we don't know.

Well, all sorts of things, as, it is set in space, so just modify your monsters and stuff, please?

It uses a d 30 system, where there is a statistic out of but not capped by ten, a skill out of ten, also uncapped, and a talent related to that skill out of but not capped by ten. You simply roll under the added together 'dots' of the 'skill tree' to see if you succeed.

It uses white wolf systems for upping stats and things, and my own session based gig for levels. Adventure or experience points and growth points. You get adventure points to buy dots by playing your character, and growth points equalling your level refreshing after each level gain, per level.

How is that for being brief, no need to be too particular, we can modify it!

Eldan
2018-07-15, 01:12 PM
Yeah, that's not how homebrew works. We need the whole system.

Alabenson
2018-07-15, 01:14 PM
Well, all sorts of things, as, it is set in space, so just modify your monsters and stuff, please?

It uses a d 30 system, where there is a statistic out of but not capped by ten, a skill out of ten, also uncapped, and a talent related to that skill out of but not capped by ten. You simply roll under the added together 'dots' of the 'skill tree' to see if you succeed.

It uses white wolf systems for upping stats and things, and my own session based gig for levels. Adventure or experience points and growth points. You get adventure points to buy dots by playing your character, and growth points equalling your level refreshing after each level gain, per level.

How is that for being brief, no need to be too particular, we can modify it!

Speaking for myself, this doesn't really provide enough information to actually create anything. Before I can homebrew anything for this game I would need access to the entire system, not just a brief description of the core mechanics.

Thanatos 51-50
2018-07-15, 04:46 PM
This sounds like a poorly-disguised call for freelance and free design work.

I mean, I'm happy to do some design work, but I need the system to work with and you'd have to pay me. (I'm happy to sign an NDA if you like)

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-15, 09:45 PM
Well the game is about [2000] pages long, the first edition...

Oh and magic also uses a [D30] system. this is where you match your [spell] level to your [school] level to your [willpower] statistic. If it fails, it fails but the thing is at higher levels it will not fail, and stack in potency.

I am not asking for specific home brew designs, that are exact, but rather just 'ideas.' Things you have never seen before in games that you would like to see.

For example, if you run out of manna, you may simply rest to recharge or pray to recharge quickly...

Eldan
2018-07-16, 01:24 AM
Okay, can I be blunt here? A game of 2000 pages is never going to sell. Far too long. That's twice the length of all three D&D 3.5 core books combined. Which is already long. Most RPGs I have standing around here are less than 500 pages, which includes the setting.

Also, how to recharge magical energy? That's the kind of super basic thing that you should have in your system already, not ask people about on a forum.

And what you want is not homebrew, it's ideas.

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-16, 01:25 AM
News for new edition of game;

You may now use references to War Hammer and War Hammer 40,000, as my company has acquired the intellectual property rights to both those games through buying the latest steam versions, yes the full on simulated table top game!

Cost [10,000] dollars for "Slitherine Ltd" and [100,000] dollars for "Sega," by the way....

Please, draw inspiration from those games, and, feed it back to us?

Eldan
2018-07-16, 01:25 AM
Okay, are you just trolling us?

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-16, 01:26 AM
Okay, can I be blunt here? A game of 2000 pages is never going to sell. Far too long. That's twice the length of all three D&D 3.5 core books combined. Which is already long. Most RPGs I have standing around here are less than 500 pages, which includes the setting.

Also, how to recharge magical energy? That's the kind of super basic thing that you should have in your system already, not ask people about on a forum.

And what you want is not homebrew, it's ideas.

Yes, home brew idea sort of stuff, what else do you call it?

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-16, 01:27 AM

No, I have a company... "Hydra.Ltd," listed in South Africa.

We got our capital from 'donors,' they wanted me to be their 'vulture.'

Nifft
2018-07-16, 01:27 AM

It's probably just a kid doing some fantasy role-playing.

aimlessPolymath
2018-07-16, 01:33 AM
I can confirm that he's probably serious about the publishing thing- he had a thread a few months back where he presented the first draft of his work - "X tech".

It had a lot of pages, although not 2000 at the time, and while the rules weren't good IMO, he had an unusual and creative set of races.

Nifft
2018-07-16, 01:35 AM
News for new edition of game;

You may now use references to War Hammer and War Hammer 40,000, as my company has acquired the intellectual property rights to both those games through buying the latest steam versions, yes the full on simulated table top game!

I can confirm that he's probably serious about the publishing thing- he had a thread a few months back where he presented the first draft of his work - "X tech".

I'm having trouble reconciling the OP's claims with the idea that he's serious.

Eldan
2018-07-16, 01:55 AM
Yeah, that. I mean, yes, GW has sold the 40k computer game license to basically everyone who wanted it for a few years, but the RPG license? NO chance. Also, Warhammer doesn't even exist as a property anymore. There's only Age of Sigmar.

demonslayerelf
2018-07-16, 02:18 AM
I'm gonna go off on a limb and say the Warhammer stuff is BS. A quick google to GW shows that they still(Ultimate surprise of surprises) own Warhammer and all that jazz. A quick search through Nortj's post history says that he is, in fact, making a game, and claims to have been since 1996, despite having a precious nothing to show for it, outside a handful of ideas for using a d30 system.

My guess is that he's serious about having a game, but he's trying to make it seem better than it is so he can attract attention and get people to build it for him.

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-16, 03:46 AM
I'm gonna go off on a limb and say the Warhammer stuff is BS. A quick google to GW shows that they still(Ultimate surprise of surprises) own Warhammer and all that jazz. A quick search through Nortj's post history says that he is, in fact, making a game, and claims to have been since 1996, despite having a precious nothing to show for it, outside a handful of ideas for using a d30 system.

My guess is that he's serious about having a game, but he's trying to make it seem better than it is so he can attract attention and get people to build it for him.

[1] Games workshop still owns the rights, but the rights were acquired by the gaming companies we bought, so, we carry over the intellectual property rights.

[2] Yes, I have been making a game sine 1996, and, it has been on and off.

[3] The X Tech game is in final production phases with rights acquired this way from tedious labels, like buying hte now defunct Black Isle, which had rights to dnd 3rd ed.

[4] This thread is bout harnessing new material for 'Advanced X Tech,' a follow up.

[5] The core books is five hundred pages long, and advanced rules and options, like 'advanced skills and powers," "High level options," "Combat and tactics..." then the add on White Wolf games books, like "The Story Teller's Guide," and other defunct role playing game companies have all been acquired already, through loop holes and windows of opportunity.

Eldan
2018-07-16, 04:14 AM
You are seriously claiming that you own Black Isle and White Wolf? I don't believe you.

Also, the rights to make a video game in a system are very different from the rights to publish RPG books.

JoshuaZ
2018-07-16, 09:27 AM
other defunct role playing game companies have all been acquired already, through loop holes and windows of opportunity.

To paraphrase Princess Bride, I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-16, 10:37 AM
You are seriously claiming that you own Black Isle and White Wolf? I don't believe you.

Also, the rights to make a video game in a system are very different from the rights to publish RPG books.

Actually my share holders that put the games together got the rights organized, which is not what I wanted. It would have been cheaper to actually buy the dormant White Wolf and Black Isle, but, they wanted to get rights...

Sorry, got my tenses mixed.

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-16, 10:39 AM
Gooooddd dayyyyy!

And who might you be?

aimlessPolymath
2018-07-16, 11:11 AM
And who might you be?

That guy's a spammer. You can tell from the way he makes 10 meaningless posts with bad grammar, then his eleventh contains a link to a site.

Eldan
2018-07-16, 02:37 PM
Actually my share holders that put the games together got the rights organized, which is not what I wanted. It would have been cheaper to actually buy the dormant White Wolf and Black Isle, but, they wanted to get rights...

Sorry, got my tenses mixed.

Uh-huh. The still very much existant, doing very well White Wolf, who were bought up by Paradox.

rferries
2018-07-16, 04:54 PM
Well this is an exciting thread!

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-16, 06:50 PM
Uh-huh. The still very much existant, doing very well White Wolf, who were bought up by Paradox.

And Paradox did away with most of the clans. What were they thinking?

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-16, 06:53 PM
Well this is an exciting thread!

I like your "ring of the apprentice" under your home brew stuff, nice little item. :smallsmile:

jqavins
2018-07-18, 05:04 PM
OK, Sir Brett, while I sympathize strongly with those who think you are giving off a powerful Nigerian prince vibe, I will give you the benefit of the doubt (for now).

After Elden (so rightly) pointed out that 2000 pages is way too long for a basic game system, you clarified that the basic system is only 500 pages, and the rest is extra material. 500 pages is still way, way too big. Only people with some dedication to using this system will read that much, and you're not going to get anyone that dedicated without an easier port of entry.

As an alternative, you've given us about a half dozen short paragraphs, constituting less than a page, with no specifics of any sort beyond the die size. That was the briefest briefing and sketchiest sketch I've ever seen.

What you need to produce is two items. One is a two to four page summary description, split between setting and mechanics, with enough, but just enough detail to give someone a chance to get interested. The second is a 5 to 20 (preferably not more than10) page introduction with enough for someone to get started on a very simplified game. That's how you get the interest of players, customers, and contributors.

If you find that you just can't condense it that much it means that your own thoughts and understanding of your own system and setting are not sufficiently well organized. In short, if you can't explain it in 10 pages then you don't understand it either.

Finally, you mentiomed payment for contributions. For that to mean anything you must define it much more precisely. How much are you willing to pay, and for what kind of material? Will payment be the same for anything you decide to accept? Will it depend on length, quality, applicability as is vs. the need to for you to modify? Will it be different for different types of material e.g. rules suggestions, adventures, setting details, creatures, etc.? Will you just decide capreciously case by case?

It's the lack of all these details that gives you the Nigerian prince vibe. It is also their lack that, even with the benefit of the doubt, makes developing any contributions for you both unappealing and impossibe.

I suggest you drop this thread, then come back and try again when you're better prepared.

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-18, 06:11 PM
OK, Sir Brett, while I sympathize strongly with those who think you are giving off a powerful Nigerian prince vibe, I will give you the benefit of the doubt (for now).

After Elden (so rightly) pointed out that 2000 pages is way too long for a basic game system, you clarified that the basic system is only 500 pages, and the rest is extra material. 500 pages is still way, way too big. Only people with some dedication to using this system will read that much, and you're not going to get anyone that dedicated without an easier port of entry.

As an alternative, you've given us about a half dozen short paragraphs, constituting less than a page, with no specifics of any sort beyond the die size. That was the briefest briefing and sketchiest sketch I've ever seen.

What you need to produce is two items. One is a two to four page summary description, split between setting and mechanics, with enough, but just enough detail to give someone a chance to get interested. The second is a 5 to 20 (preferably not more than10) page introduction with enough for someone to get started on a very simplified game. That's how you get the interest of players, customers, and contributors.

If you find that you just can't condense it that much it means that your own thoughts and understanding of your own system and setting are not sufficiently well organized. In short, if you can't explain it in 10 pages then you don't understand it either.

Finally, you mentiomed payment for contributions. For that to mean anything you must define it much more precisely. How much are you willing to pay, and for what kind of material? Will payment be the same for anything you decide to accept? Will it depend on length, quality, applicability as is vs. the need to for you to modify? Will it be different for different types of material e.g. rules suggestions, adventures, setting details, creatures, etc.? Will you just decide capreciously case by case?

It's the lack of all these details that gives you the Nigerian prince vibe. It is also their lack that, even with the benefit of the doubt, makes developing any contributions for you both unappealing and impossibe.

I suggest you drop this thread, then come back and try again when you're better prepared.

I am looking for inspiration and new ideas to add to my game "X Tech."

It is set in the year [2020] - [2022] when the aliens return to earth. Then, we join them in populating the universe and educating the primitive aliens, while fighting for resources as all life does.

The setting includes the dawn of magic. It seems some scientists have found that mixing the lore of old with the justification of new have brought about magic in many senses, ten schools, the eight classic dnd schools, telepathy or psionics and prayer or divine magic.

Then, there are nine stats, split into three sub stats. Unfortunately I have yet to see the sub stats, but I know they defer from the main nine, being physique, reflexes, system, willpower, intelligence, wisdom, intuition, harmony and charisma.

There are more than twenty saving throws, using two of the stats added together to roll under on a [d20.] Then, there are things like shooting guns, using [reflexes] + [firearms skill] + 'specific weapon type.' That is rolled on a [d30]. To test a individual statistic, you roll under that rating on a [d10].

For magic, you use spell failure too! That would be [willpower] + ['school'] + [spell level]. You may not have a higher spell level than school, I think, I cannot see what has been modified so far. The higher the scores, the more potent the spell is.

Then you get merits and feats. These are bought with points you acquire through playing your character, like with white wolf systems of experience points. It costs four times more to develop a merit after creation than it costs to buy it at creation, and, there are some flaws too, many of them, that can be bought away.

There are twenty races. There are things like 'polymorphing zerglings,' that sample d.n.a. and genes from the host, than go into a cocoon to transform into that thing, always ready to nearly instantly change back to their fighting selves. There are snake people, elves, dwarves, dragons... and so forth.

That is my briefest synopsis please ask about things in detail, yes?

JNAProductions
2018-07-18, 06:15 PM
Do you not know about your own game? There were some “I think” and “I don’t know yet” in there.

Sir Brett Nortj
2018-07-18, 06:26 PM
Do you not know about your own game? There were some “I think” and “I don’t know yet” in there.

Get this, the guys compiling it for me say they have not done it yet, oh, they thought I was joking, hey, this is nice...

Don't worry, it is coming! Just had to resend it... all my source, to be compiled.. no big deal.

Sorry for the hold up!

JoshuaZ
2018-07-18, 07:59 PM
Then, there are nine stats, split into three sub stats. Unfortunately I have yet to see the sub stats, but I know they defer from the main nine, being physique, reflexes, system, willpower, intelligence, wisdom, intuition, harmony and charisma.

There are more than twenty saving throws, using two of the stats added together to roll under on a [d20.] Then, there are things like shooting guns, using [reflexes] + [firearms skill] + 'specific weapon type.' That is rolled on a [d30]. To test a individual statistic, you roll under that rating on a [d10].

Dear gods. What makes you think anyone would want to play something this complicated? 20 saving throws is way more complicated than anyone wants to deal with.

Thanatos 51-50
2018-07-18, 09:20 PM
This system sounds like it's in need of some major streamlining.

Which, fortunately, is another thing I'm willing to help with, provided proper compensation.

What I'm getting from your very spotty description is, at its core, a very additive system, where Attribute + Skill creates a target number to roll under on a d20? Very much like, say, the Star Trek Adventures system? That can very easily be worked with and around. And, while I understand the compulsion to add in a new system for Magic-suers, which somehow involves a d30, but you're not giving us any other information about, this is a trap.

Good game and system design is predicated on having one major mechanical through-line.
3.x/Pathfinder/Every D&D that has come after 3.x have the d20+modifiers