PDA

View Full Version : Chef Cleric DM help!

SMac8988
2018-07-15, 08:51 AM
Hello all, and thanks for giving my little post here a look over.

I was looking for some advice on refluffing spells and abilities for one of my characters in an up coming game I am starting.

The players decided that he wants to be a dwarven pastry chef, and all his magics and heels are tied to them. He has decided he wants to do life cleric, and I figured for his cure wounds he could shove a cookie in the targets mouth, or something to that extent.

But I was looking for more for the other spells. This campaign is all players with 0 experience in d&d and table top, so I want to help him with the fluff till he gets a feel for how things go.

Thanks in advance!!!!

DragonBaneDM
2018-07-15, 09:00 AM
Man. Shame they didn’t think of a Forge/Oven pun for domain. But for reals: Life is a great domain for this.

First up I thought about was spell preparation. In the morning/after a long rest, while the wizard studies and the Paladin recites their oath, they’re baking.

Making their spiritual weapon a bearclaw with candy bear-claws coming out of it seems fun. Bless can be the dwarf busting out a fresh pie, sending cartoonish pie smell-lines out to their friends to get em all revved up.

Heck, same thing works for Command, using pie-smells to make enemies kneel or run.

I guess the only real question I have is: is the dwarf still technically a cleric? Like do they serve a god of cookies and sweets? Or are they just a magic baker?

SMac8988
2018-07-15, 09:18 AM
Man. Shame they didn’t think of a Forge/Oven pun for domain. But for reals: Life is a great domain for this.

First up I thought about was spell preparation. In the morning/after a long rest, while the wizard studies and the Paladin recites their oath, they’re baking.

Making their spiritual weapon a bearclaw with candy bear-claws coming out of it seems fun. Bless can be the dwarf busting out a fresh pie, sending cartoonish pie smell-lines out to their friends to get em all revved up.

Heck, same thing works for Command, using pie-smells to make enemies kneel or run.

I guess the only real question I have is: is the dwarf still technically a cleric? Like do they serve a god of cookies and sweets? Or are they just a magic baker?

He wants to serve a god of cookies and treats.

I love the idea of him baking as they get ready each day. I was thinking his holy symbol would be a bag of never emptying flour. But he would have to get the rest of the stuff from his surroundings.

He said his gear will be a leather apron. A rolling pin and a pot lid.

I'm super excited to see how he plays him.

CTurbo
2018-07-15, 12:32 PM
The Gourmand feat would be perfect for him. I would homebrew him a "chef" or "cook" background too. Then there is the Hero's Feast spell...

Honest Tiefling
2018-07-15, 12:47 PM
Anyway you can give him the good berry spell? Those could be refluffed easily, and perhaps something that does it 1/week won't wreck the game.

Going on this theme, his spells could be many different varieties of cookies. Mint ones might be lesser restoration, fruit flavored might be cure wounds, etc. Material and somatic components should sometimes involve a sprinkling of sugar or candied flowers.

The bearclaw idea is good, but I must admit that marzipan and sugar sculptures might also be worthwhile. Could even be worked into loot ideas for later.

His holy symbol should be something sugared or honeyed, so it'll last quite some time. Perhaps give him a magic one so animals and bugs quit trying to eat it.

SMac8988
2018-07-15, 01:36 PM
His holy symbol should be something sugared or honeyed, so it'll last quite some time. Perhaps give him a magic one so animals and bugs quit trying to eat it.

Omg. I now want to go the other way. Have it be honey covered, and sticky which draws bugs and vermin.

The game they are running is OotA, so u dont want to give them any free food till later on. So goodberry for now will be delayed.

Innocent_bystan
2018-07-16, 12:37 PM
Anyway you can give him the good berry spell? Those could be refluffed easily, and perhaps something that does it 1/week won't wreck the game.

I played with this idea to make a chef based on the Goodberry spell. Especially if you look up what plants qualify as 'berry'.

Botanical berries not commonly known as berries include bananas,tomatoes,grapes, eggplants (aubergines), persimmons, watermelons, and pumpkins.

The general concept was heavily based on an elderly grandmother focusing on buffing/healing in the form of cookies or pies. "Feeling bad? Here, have a cookie."

Innocent_bystan
2018-07-16, 12:41 PM
Also: have you read Discworld? The Dwarves on the world have Dwarven Battle Bread.

Dwarf Bread

Rock-hard (and indeed contains various rocks such as gravel), never goes stale, and is terribly sustaining. A traveller can go for miles, just knowing there's dwarf bread in their pack. A traveller can think of just about anything to eat rather than dwarf bread including their own foot and even pumpkins (see Witches Abroad).

Various forms of dwarf bread can be used as weapons, e.g. battle muffins and drop scones. Fine specimens of dwarf bread can be found in the Dwarf Bread Museum, Whirligig Alley, Ankh-Morpork, open to the public whenever volunteers have time (Feet of Clay). Dwarfs away from home often miss dwarf bread very much, and complain that mass-produced breads by Mr. Ironcrust hardly meet the standards, but dwarfs are too busy working to go and see the exhibits in the museum, much less to volunteer there.

Proper dwarf bread has to be not just baked, but forged (with gravel, of course) and dropped in rivers and dried out, and sat on and left, and looked at every day and then put away again. For preference, its use as a cat's litter box is also recommended. Dwarfs generally devour it with their eyes, because even dwarfs have trouble with devouring it any other way.

Famous breads include the Scone of Stone, which appears in The Fifth Elephant.

Other instances of dwarf bread include:

that made by Carrot's mother which he can barely get out of the box by himself, and has to cut with his pike.
the Battle Bread of B'hrian Bloodaxe.
the bread offered to the dwarfs outside Genua which was all the better for Greebo pissing on it.
the bread that Nanny Ogg promises to bake for Casanunda for which an unemptied cat litter tray and gravel will form essential components.