PDA

View Full Version : hello, opinions on an archetype

magwaaf
2018-07-15, 10:23 PM
i'm not a power gamer and i just play for fun but i've been out of tabletop gaming for a few years now and kinda got that itch again

I was wondering what people thought about the Sensate fighter archetype and was wondering if its any good or if anyone has tried it out.

heavyfuel
2018-07-15, 11:03 PM
i'm not a power gamer and i just play for fun but i've been out of tabletop gaming for a few years now and kinda got that itch again

I was wondering what people thought about the Sensate fighter archetype and was wondering if its any good or if anyone has tried it out.

It's... okay. It doesn't really help the fighter all that much. You lose Heavy Armor proficiency, so this is basically for dex focused Fighters, and the other class features accentuate this point by granting you Uncanny Dodge and Evasion.

Overall, I probably wouldn't ever use this because there are better archetypes out there. In fact, the base Fighter is probably stronger in some cases.

Psyren
2018-07-15, 11:27 PM
Losing Weapon Training is a huge negative because you lose access to Advanced Weapon Training options. This is doubly painful because Armed Bravery basically renders Centered Senses obsolete, and doesn't require an action to activate nor go away when you go to sleep or fail a save. Perfect Senses is great but you get it far too late to matter (and you were able to afford item-based solutions (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/goggles-truesight/) to these problems ages ago anyway.) All in all, a cool idea that ends up pretty superfluous in practice.

Geddy2112
2018-07-17, 08:58 AM
I agree that losing weapon training is not worth it, particularly when you need a move action to turn on your weapon training like ability. Not getting heavy armor proficency makes it even less dippable. The guarded senses are better than bravery and the skills are kind of okay, so I could see dipping a level or two for feats...maybe.

It is a cool concept, but the execution is poor. I would build a similar themed character as a barbarian, monk, ranger/slayer, or even another fighter.

magwaaf
2018-07-23, 07:35 AM
Losing Weapon Training is a huge negative because you lose access to Advanced Weapon Training options. This is doubly painful because Armed Bravery basically renders Centered Senses obsolete, and doesn't require an action to activate nor go away when you go to sleep or fail a save. Perfect Senses is great but you get it far too late to matter (and you were able to afford item-based solutions (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/goggles-truesight/) to these problems ages ago anyway.) All in all, a cool idea that ends up pretty superfluous in practice.

what is armed bravery? i can't find it

Firest Kathon
2018-07-23, 10:29 AM
what is armed bravery? i can't find it

Armed Bravery (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/AdvWeaponTrainingDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Armed%20Bra very) is an option for Advanced Weapons Training.

Florian
2018-07-23, 10:59 AM
Hm... Ok, like a bunch of other archetypes, this one is geared towards a very specific kind of game or campaign. Letīs say you want to recreate the classic Alone in the Dark style, then this is the fitting archetype to play an Edward Carnaby and is just fine the way it is. Compared to the overall bunch and what Fighter are generally capable of? No, don't do it.