PDA

View Full Version : Best to-hit modifier possible?

Arelai
2018-07-15, 10:29 PM
Hey!

So I’m trying to build something that just doesn’t miss. Missing sucks-so how about I don’t?

So, without using magic items, what’s the best I can do? I rarely play games over level 10-so some kind of level 20 super build won’t be too useful.

Here’s what I came up with:
Half Elf (so you can point buy for 16 cha, 16 dex, 13 str, 13 wis and you could get a 9+1 for con)
Use a Bow +3 dex
Paladin 3 - Devotion
- Sacred weapon (+3 cha to hit and magical)
- Bless +1-4
Fighter 3 - Battlemaster
- Archery Fighting Style +2
- Precision attack +1-8
Cleric 1 - Forge
- Blessing of the Forge +1 magic weapon

So, you have between an +11 to +21.
+Proficiency bonus (+3 at level 7)
So +14-24
And you just need a short rest to reset your channel divinity and Battlemaster dice.

1 more level into Paladin and fighter would give you 2 ASI’s for an extra +2 to-hit.
You could go warlock 3 for magic blade pact weapon instead of Forge to be less MAD. But it takes longer.

Am I missing anything that quickly boosts +To-hit? Paladin 3 fighter 1 gets almost all of it. Just need more levels for ASI’s, cleric level, and Battlemaster dice.

LudicSavant
2018-07-15, 10:32 PM
So I’m trying to build something that just doesn’t miss. Missing sucks-do how about I don’t?
Is the goal the best to-hit modifier possible, or the best chance to hit possible? Because those are two different questions with two different answers.

Arelai
2018-07-15, 10:43 PM
Is the goal the best to-hit modifier possible, or the best chance to hit possible? Because those are two different questions with two different answers.

Well, the only other thing that would improve your chance to hit besides +to-hit stuff would be advantage.

Not sure the best way to do that. Archery fighting style for +2 seems key. But thinking about it, you could go strength based with barbarian’s reckless attack to always have the advantage(basically +5).

Kane0
2018-07-15, 10:51 PM
I would go Warlock instead of Cleric so you don't have to worry about Wis and get more bang for your buck when Short Resting. The invocations cover the Forge Cleric bonus and allow you to smite with your bow unlike Paladin Smites. That said you're looking at level 11 or so before it's all online, and you will probably be waiting a bit for Extra Attack, ASIs or both.

Naanomi
2018-07-15, 10:55 PM
This was generated a while ago, so new modifiers may exist but...

Dexterity 30: +10
Proficiency Bonus: +6 Hit
Ioun Stone of Mastery: +1 Hit
Archery Combat Style: +2 Hit
Battle Inspiration: +12 Hit
Precision Attack: +12 Hit
Channel Divinity: War Domain: +10 Hit
Bless: +4 Hit
Arrow +3: +3 Hit
Bow +3: +3 Hit
Bend Luck: +4 Hit
Precision Attack+ 12 Hit
Sacred Weapon: +10 Hit
Epic Boon: Peerless Aim: +20
Epic Boon: Boon of Luck: +10

A Devotion Paladin/Battlemaster Fighter with a Valor Bard, War Cleric, and Wild Sorcerer buddy and a host of magic items can get... +119 to hit, and thus with a 20 hit AC 139!

Kane0
2018-07-15, 11:03 PM
Snip

So we're looking at a War Cleric 1 / Battlemaster 3 / Devotion Pally 3 / Valor Bard 3 / Wild Sorcerer 6 to start with. Totally doable with 4 levels to spare, which we can use on Warlock or ASIs/extra attack. Although we will need Str 13, Wis 13 and Cha 13 on top of the Dex we want to max.

Arelai
2018-07-15, 11:04 PM

Precision Attack+ 12 Hit

A Devotion Paladin/Battlemaster Fighter with a Valor Bard, War Cleric, and Wild Sorcerer buddy and a host of magic items can get... +119 to hit, and thus with a 20 hit AC 139!

Good to know I was pretty close to the mark. I was thinking best a character could do themselves, but that can be seen from the above.

xyianth
2018-07-16, 01:47 AM
If the goal is just not to miss, wouldn't evocation wizard be best? Magic missile doesn't miss and evocation wizards can do decent damage with it. Plus, using frostbite as a backup for shielded/force immune enemies deals damage even on a successful save.

If you instead want to deal better damage but less often, you can go nuclear druid (twilight druid + 1 level dip as wizard or arcana cleric for magic missile). If you prefer melee, spore druid gets you an auto-hit poison attack as a reaction. Both druids also get options to do no-save no-attack type things like heat metal or spike growth as well.

Finally, if your goal is just to deal damage consistently, you can try this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23218286&postcount=3) build out. It deals a lot of damage while being an effective tank.

LudicSavant
2018-07-16, 02:01 AM
Well, the only other thing that would improve your chance to hit besides +to-hit stuff would be advantage.

Incorrect. There are numerous other things that can boost your chance to hit, such as super advantage (Elven Accuracy), rerolls (such as the halfling's Lucky ability), or abilities that let you forego the rolling of dice entirely (like Portent, or certain attacks which auto-hit). So it's actually really important whether we're talking about "most likely to hit" vs "best to-hit modifier."

gloryblaze
2018-07-16, 02:06 AM

Precision Attack+ 12 Hit

To be fair, a level 1 wizard who rolled 3 strength and is wielding a weapon he's not proficient in would have a -4 to hir, and - with a 20 - he would also hit AC 139 :smalltongue:

Kadesh
2018-07-16, 02:35 AM
Conquest Paladin can get a +10 to hit as part of his Channel divinity.

Arelai
2018-07-16, 03:12 AM
Did just realize that hexblade let’s you use CHA to-hit, at level 3 it’s to any pact weapon. So, you could avoid needing dex in that scenario, just wear heavy armor. So paladin 3 gives you x2 cha mod to hit. Which is dope

MagneticKitty
2018-07-16, 06:16 PM
If you're just looking to always hit, kobold archer dex fighter build with lots of melee buddies for pack tactics with the above mentioned archer builds is good.

Or try to make amagic missile focused build.
Or lots of aoes with dex save and a partner that forces restrained (or other disadvantage in dex save builds)

Daithi
2018-07-16, 11:01 PM
Someone else mentioned it in passing, but Elven Accuracy is missing from your build, and that basically gives you advantage on steroids.

Since I'm seconding other people's suggestions, magic missile doesn't miss.

Might as well give one of my own. If UA is ok, then the Mystic has Psionic Blast, which deals 1d8 damage per psi point with 7 psi points max. This is 7d8 and no save.

CircleOfTheRock
2018-07-17, 01:25 AM
Someone else mentioned it in passing, but Elven Accuracy is missing from your build, and that basically gives you advantage on steroids.

I’d just like to point out that, mathematically, ‘double advantage’ gives a smaller increase in hit chance than just gaining advantage does. I wouldn’t called it advantage on steroids, per se.

Daithi
2018-07-17, 02:36 AM
I’d just like to point out that, mathematically, ‘double advantage’ gives a smaller increase in hit chance than just gaining advantage does. I wouldn’t called it advantage on steroids, per se.

Yes, advantage gives a substantial... uh... advantage over not having any advantage at all, and a third roll doesn't provide nearly as much benefit, but it is still quite good. This is especially true the more difficult your target is to hit. For a typical and an extreme example:

If you need 16 or above to hit the math is--
_a normal attack roll is 25% (15/20 misses, so 5/20 hits)
_normal advantage is 43.75% (15/20 * 15/20 = 225/400 misses, so 175/400 hits)
_elven advantage is 57.8125% (15/20 * 15/20 * 15/20 = 3375/80000 misses, so 4625/8000 hits)

But if you only hit with a 20 then math gets relatively better--
_a normal attack roll is 5% (19/20 misses, so 1/20 hits)
_normal advantage is 9.75% (19/20 * 19/20 = 361/400 misses, so 39/400 hits)
_elven advantage is 14.2625% (19/20 * 19/20 * 19/20 = 6859/80000 misses, so 1141/8000 hits)

In the first case, elven advantage is about a 25% better than normal advantage.
In the last case, elven advantage is about a 33% better than normal advantage.

Galactkaktus
2018-07-17, 04:19 AM
Lightfoot halfling with the lucky feat and alot of manuals of quickness of action