PDA

View Full Version : Tabula Rasa

Ranis
2007-09-10, 08:37 PM
I was just wondering who else in here was in the closed beta for this game, and if so, what do you think?

Also, what are thoughts in general?

Setra
2007-09-10, 09:04 PM
I wish I were in the closed beta, that game looks fun.

Like a sort of Sci-Fi Guild Wars or something.

Tom_Violence
2007-09-10, 09:48 PM
I was not, alas.

But I am very much looking forward to this game. I just hope it doesn't follow the usual MMOG conventions (massive level differences being the main one that I think could ruin this).

Hopefully by the time its released I'll have some kind of system capable of handling it.

I have to say though, the features list on the webpage leaves much to be desired. One can craft things, and do PVP?! Gasp! That really puts it a cut above the rest! Though the 'ethical decisions' and interesting levelling system sound more than intriguing.

Hermit
2007-09-11, 04:30 AM
Had a little go on my brothers closed beta account a couple of days ago, and its an interesting game certainly. I especially like the combat system, which does a pretty good job of hiding the fact its still nothing more than dice rolls and stat checks. The guns and the cover system give it the feel of a tactical shooter in combat, when it could very easily have been a dull "Auto-attack" fest.
Its felt buggy in places, and the engine doesn't seem the smoothest, but those things are exactly what the beta is for.

My one complaint is how the actual game doesn't differ that much from the now standard formula WoW has presented. Early quests are the usual kill x of this monster, or bring me x of this item. That said I liked the idea of doing quests to get the various runes, and its nice to see a well written backstory as well.

Dunno if I'll actually play the full game though. Warhammer Online is still looking like the game for me when its finally released.

Ranis
2007-09-11, 09:44 AM
It's really quite a neat game, if you overlook that you'll spend more than half of the money you get on more ammo, because you go through it faster than a hunter in WoW. I just picked up Battlefield 2142 and play with my friends, so it'll be a while before I pick it up, but I will pick it up.

Yuki Akuma
2007-09-11, 09:48 AM
They should release the retail version as a blank disc, just to screw with people.

Ranis
2007-09-11, 09:49 AM
They should release the retail version as a blank disc, just to screw with people.

Uh....why?

Yuki Akuma
2007-09-11, 10:00 AM
Uh....why?

...It's called Tabula Rasa.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-11, 02:43 PM
...It's called Tabula Rasa.

hehe, good one! :smallsmile:

I have played the game once, with a friend, very briefly, and thought it looked quite cool, though WoW is still the game for me.

Also, a kick-ass Buffy episode in season six.

Tom_Violence
2007-09-11, 04:12 PM
My one complaint is how the actual game doesn't differ that much from the now standard formula WoW has presented. Early quests are the usual kill x of this monster, or bring me x of this item. That said I liked the idea of doing quests to get the various runes, and its nice to see a well written backstory as well.

This is the one thing I think that stands the most chance of ruining the game. MMOGs need to learn to distance themselves from the WoW formula, and I had really hoped that this game might be one to do this since it was taking the FPS path. I very much do not like the feel of traditional MMOGs these days, but I fear that I may have to wait a while longer for one to really break the mold.

Down with stupid level progressions! Down with mundane quests! Etc!

Nah, the case should contain nothing more than a piece of paper and a pencil. :smalltongue:

Hermit
2007-09-11, 04:21 PM
This is the one thing I think that stands the most chance of ruining the game. MMOGs need to learn to distance themselves from the WoW formula, and I had really hoped that this game might be one to do this since it was taking the FPS path. I very much do not like the feel of traditional MMOGs these days, but I fear that I may have to wait a while longer for one to really break the mold.

It's my hope for W:AR really. Level progression is possible via PvP (ie the fun bits of the game), the idea of big zonewide quests you can jump in and out of sounds good, and from their podcasts they really sound like they're fed up of kill/collect quests.

Ranis
2007-09-11, 05:00 PM
from their podcasts they really sound like they're fed up of kill/collect quests.

I heard that too, but the sad thing is that most of the questing I've done so far is exactly that. I guess that's what the beta is for, though.

Tom_Violence
2007-09-11, 05:13 PM
It's my hope for W:AR really. Level progression is possible via PvP (ie the fun bits of the game), the idea of big zonewide quests you can jump in and out of sounds good, and from their podcasts they really sound like they're fed up of kill/collect quests.

My problem with levels in MMOGs these days is the ridiculous differences in levels between players. My favourite two MMOGs have been EVE (where levels don't exist) and Guild Wars (where everyone is basically the same level). I just don't see the point of these games that have 60+ levels for players to get through, and the gulf that exists between characters seems useless to me. For me, most games are ruined the instant I get into a major town and see people a thousand levels above me running around with 'uber gear' on.