PDA

View Full Version : New Computer

K2
2007-09-10, 08:43 PM
So, I presently have a Dell Inspiron 5150 which I purchased at the end of high school, while it has served me very faithfully over the years friends of mine have not had much luck the the model/brand.
And now my dear Loki is almost 4 years old, a good age for any computer, more so for a laptop(its kinda hard to upgrade hardware) and now I have begun to run into some trouble. My computer is dying, there are no "if ands or buts" about it. I need a new computer. So, I come here to ask for advice.
Dell was not good for my friends, but I have never had any trouble with them and this computer has served me well, on the other hand I hate Bill gates and thus microsoft. Apples have always been an interest of mine I am considering getting one of them, though I know nothing about them.
What I need in a computer is rather simple: the ability to pick it up and move it when needed(laptop), enough power to play games that are coming out today(Starcraft 2), Wireless(always), 3000 or under, ...and thats about it. I can't think of any things else at the moment.

I know that this is vague, but I don't plan on buying a new computer for a month or so. And at this point I just want to get a heads up on whats on the market.

Samiam303
2007-09-10, 10:45 PM
I hate Bill gates and thus microsoft.
I don't have much to say about laptops, but I'm just curious why you phrase it that way. Most people hate Microsoft, and thus Bill Gates... not the other way around. :confused:

Ishmael
2007-09-10, 11:02 PM
Well, if you want to get a Mac laptop, you really have one of two options. Their consumer-end product, the Macbook, is a great computer. It lacks a video card, however, making hardcore gaming impossible on it. However, normal gaming, depending upon both the game and the settings you use, works fine. The Macbook Pro has an incredible video card in it, twice the RAM, and a slightly better processor. It costs 2k. I recommend the normal Macbook, the mid-end version, for about $1300. It's a really good value for the hardware that you get on it. I might upgrade the RAM on it to 2 gigs, though. And maybe get a bigger hard drive. Aside from that, it's great.

Plus, you can run Windows on a Mac. I mean, for gaming purposes.

If you want to avoid the (realistically) high price tag of a Mac, HP makes some good computers as well. They're pretty nice looking as well, if that's you're thing. For portability, reliability, power, and a great OS, though, the Macbook is really worth the few hundred dollars extra. It's more pretty, too...

Dispozition
2007-09-11, 07:40 AM
If you want to avoid the (realistically) high price tag of a Mac, HP makes some good computers as well. They're pretty nice looking as well, if that's you're thing. For portability, reliability, power, and a great OS, though, the Macbook is really worth the few hundred dollars extra. It's more pretty, too...

No, no they don't...They are the devil...

Aaaanyway...Alienware...That's the way to go if you want gaming laptops...Failing that, there's a good Dell one...Can't remember what it's called though. I don't look into laptops much, if it were a PC you wanted, I could help...

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-09-11, 08:10 AM
I don't have much to say about laptops, but I'm just curious why you phrase it that way. Most people hate Microsoft, and thus Bill Gates... not the other way around. :confused:

Look, all my irrational hatreds are based on solid scientific facts! Don't question them:smalltongue:

EDIT: Dissy raises a good point.

Alienware surely is out of this world:smallwink: