PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Roguish Archetype based on Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantum Trickster (PEACH)

Vogie
2018-07-16, 11:04 AM
Due to the release of the new live-action movie of Ant-Man & The Wasp, I thought I'd release this idea for some feedback.

Roguish Archetype: Quantum Trickster

https://www.torredevigilancia.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/homem-formiga-e-a-vespa.jpg

Shrinking Armor
Starting at 3rd level, you gain a suit of arcano-mechanical armor—a magic item that only you can attune to. While you are attuned to it and wearing it, it grants you resistance to force damage and you can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike. Your unarmed strikes act as finesse weapons for you. The armor is light armor and provides an AC of 12 + your Dexterity modifier. It weighs 8 pounds.

While wearing the armor, including the helmet, you gain the ability to shrink in size as a bonus action, which lasts for one hour, until you end it as a bonus action, or until you are incapacitated. Only you and your worn items are shrunk - your weapons and other carried items are not. You undergo the following changes while transformed:

Your size becomes Tiny.
Any running speed you have is halved.
Any creature has disadvantage on attack rolls against you.
Whenever you are hit with a weapon attack, that creature forces you to make a Strength Saving throw with DC of 12+ that creature's STR modifier. On a failed save, you are knocked prone. If you succeed, you are knocked back 10 feet.
You have advantage on Stealth checks.
Your hands act as Thieves’ tools.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to half your rogue level, rounded up. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest. Taking the helmet on or off requires an action, and is only available to be removed while you are at normal size.

Quantum Disks
Starting at 9th level, you gain the Magic Stone cantrip. The pebbles affected by this spell act as light, ranged weapons for you, and you can also target objects that aren't being worn or carried. When you hit an object, that isn't being worn or carried, with one of the pebbles enchanted by Magic Stone, you can cast Enlarge/Reduce on the targeted object as a reaction. You can choose Int, Wis or Cha as the casting stat for this spell.

When you successfully use the Enlarge/Reduce feature, you must wait at least 30 seconds before using it again.

Armor Upgrades
At 13th level, you gain the ability to transform as a reaction (in addition to a bonus action), and choose one of the following options:

Ariel Modification - While transformed, you a pair of arcano-mechanical wings emerge from the back of your armor, and you gaining a flying speed of 60 ft. while transformed (this is not halved by the Shrinking Armor feature). While you are in this form, and you use your action to Dash, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack.
SubMolecular Modification - When you transform, you can shrink so far you enter another plane of existence until your next turn. While on this plane, you gain an additional turn, in which you can cast a spell targeting yourself, or use an object. At the beginning of your next turn, you reappear in the space you left or in the nearest unoccupied space if that is occupied. If you reappear next to a hostile creature in this way, that creature has vulnerability to your attacks this turn
Goliath Modification - When you transform, you can instead choose to grow in size for 1 minute instead. While transformed in this manner:

You quadruple in all dimensions, including weight. If there isn't enough room, you attain the maximum possible size in the space available. Your size becomes Huge.
Your running speed is Doubled and your reach increases 5 feet.
You have advantage on Strength checks and saves, are proficient with improvised weapons, and all attacks deal an extra 1d6 damage for the duration. Any creature smaller than your size that you hit with an attack must make a Strength Saving throw, which has a DC of 8 plus your proficiency modifier plus twice your strength modifier. On a failed save, it is knocked prone. If it succeeds, it is knocked back 10 feet.
your AC increases by 2, but all attack rolls against you are rolled with advantage.
You have a -10 to Stealth Checks, and cannot be hidden except by magical means.
When this transformation ends, if you didn't end it early, you gain one level of exhaustion.
You also gain the ability to don or doff the helmet as a bonus action or reaction, having it retract into the armor.

Mercurial Mastery
Starting at 17th level, the Enlarge/Reduce effects of your Quantum Disk ability grants a duration that doesn't require concentration, and you can have up to 2 objects enlarged or reduced at a time. You also gain the ability to shrink (or grow, if you have Goliath Modification) your weapons, and you can use your Shrinking Armor transformation an unlimited number of times.

At 17th level, when you are normal size and shrink as a bonus action while in melee range of one or more enemy creatures, You can choose to make all attack rolls you make against those creatures have advantage this turn. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Constitution Modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expanded uses when you finish a long rest.

EDIT: For those trying to square the circle of the characters in the Ant-Man and the Wasp Movie, I'd suggest Scott Lang's Ant-Man would have a 1 level dip in Druid for Beast Bond or Animal Friendship (to charm Ant-thony and co) as well as Jump or Longstrider spells. Hope Van Dyne's Wasp, however, would have a dip in a class with some ranged spell attacks, such as 2 levels of Warlock for Agonizing blast and Repelling blast (Or Lance of Lethargy).

JNAProductions
2018-07-16, 12:19 PM
Strength Saving Throw has no DC.

Also, that first feature is OP as all hell. You can easily be rocking +17 to Stealth at level 3, twice a short rest, for as long as you want. For reference, +17 is the standard for a level 17 character with max Dex and Expertise.

The rest seems mostly okay.

Vogie
2018-07-16, 12:51 PM
Strength Saving Throw has no DC.

Also, that first feature is OP as all hell. You can easily be rocking +17 to Stealth at level 3, twice a short rest, for as long as you want. For reference, +17 is the standard for a level 17 character with max Dex and Expertise.

The rest seems mostly okay.

That makes sense- I envisioned it as a self-only Pass Without Trace, but failed to include the duration. I'll adjust it.

Aleister VII
2018-07-16, 04:22 PM
Now this is awesome xD

Vogie
2018-07-23, 11:22 AM
Made some updates, and expanded the 17th-level ability to make it more rogue-y.

silentpun
2018-07-27, 02:23 PM
Getting Enlarge/Reduce effectively at-will worries me slightly.
Also, aren't unarmed strikes already finesse weapons?

Vogie
2018-07-27, 03:49 PM
Getting Enlarge/Reduce effectively at-will worries me slightly.
Also, aren't unarmed strikes already finesse weapons?

They are not! The normal unarmed strike is just 1+STR, and the wording for Martial arts on the monk page sounds effectively the same as finesse, except they deliberately left the word finesse off to remove potential Rogue shenanigans (I believe there's a JC tweet admitting as much). I added the finesse effect to the subclass specifically so that QT rogues can use the sneak attack feature, as they can't shrink their weapons (or tools) until level 17.

Magic stone is also normally a Ranged spell attack, rather than a ranged weapon attack, for the same reason, which I had to reword in the level 9 ability to make it work. I also now see that the wording is a bit off there, so I'll adjust

You're right, the Enlarge/Reduce effect of the disks could potentially get out of hand, even outside of the normal concentration stuff. Let me put a limiter in there as well just so it doesn't get out of hand.