PDA

View Full Version : Weapon sizes?

Tyger
2007-09-10, 09:16 PM
Hoping you guys can help. Just how big are weapons? For example, how big is a Huge Scimitar? I'm envisioning a 12 foot long blade that weighs 16 pounds... (double for Large, double again for Huge).

Are there rules, in any WotC book on this note?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-10, 09:48 PM
The rules are pretty skimpy on giving actual dimensions for different items. The best you can do is extrapolate from existing data and real world examples of the items.

Note that most other places in the rule assume that an increase in one size category approximately doubles each dimension, which increases weight by 8 rather than two. It seems weapons may scale disproportionately compared to other things.

RAGE KING!
2007-09-10, 09:49 PM
I once checked the length of a 10 foot pole against a greataxe. But i can't remember anything much. I think a colossal greataxe is 48 feet long total, but only has 5 foot reach.

Douglas
2007-09-10, 09:58 PM
In general, a light weapon is an object two size categories smaller than the wielder, a one-handed weapon is an object one size category smaller than the wielder, and a two-handed weapon is an object of the same size category as the wielder. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponSize)

Table of how big each size category is. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat)

A scimitar is a one-handed weapon, so a Huge scimitar would be a Large object, between 8 and 16 feet long. For a more exact measure you'd have to know how long a normal Medium scimitar is. This information seems to not be in the PHB, but if you can find it elsewhere a Huge scimitar should be 4 times as big in each dimension and 64 times as heavy.

Chronos
2007-09-10, 10:05 PM
Not in the SRD, maybe, but the dead-tree PHB has scale drawings of all the weapons, and most other pieces of equipment (at least in 3.0; I would imagine that they kept it in 3.5). Going by that, a normal-sized (medium) scimitar is about 3.5 feet long.

TheOOB
2007-09-10, 11:11 PM
Not in the SRD, maybe, but the dead-tree PHB has scale drawings of all the weapons, and most other pieces of equipment (at least in 3.0; I would imagine that they kept it in 3.5). Going by that, a normal-sized (medium) scimitar is about 3.5 feet long.

The problem with that is that the drawings only represent one type of weapon, there is a lot of variety in weapons. There are hundreds of different weapons that are functionally identical in D&D terms, are quite different in real life, take an epee, military rapier, and small sword, all use a rapier stats in D&D, but in combat all are used quite differently. A more extreme example is the bastard sword/katana, two completely different weapons that use the same stats.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-10, 11:15 PM
IIRC, weights are not x2/x2. They're a flat x10 from Medium to Huge, just as Medium to Tiny is X1/10

KillianHawkeye
2007-09-11, 09:59 AM
IIRC, weights are not x2/x2. They're a flat x10 from Medium to Huge, just as Medium to Tiny is X1/10

Maybe that's how it is for creatures, but I think it's different for weapons.

Weight
This column gives the weight of a Medium version of the weapon. Halve this number for Small weapons and double it for Large weapons.

I assume that you simply repeat the adjustment if you need weapons smaller than Small or larger than Large.

AtomicKitKat
2007-09-11, 10:53 AM
So it's a 14' long scimitar? Going by the D&D rules, it's 4*2*2=16lbs. Real life, it would be 2*8*8=128 lbs.

Tyger
2007-09-11, 12:29 PM
And therein lies the dilemma. I have a large size character in my game who jsut got Strong Arm braces and wants to wield Huge Scimitars. I have no problems with this, but wonder about wielding these bad boys in enclosed spaces. Even if the character can fit, can the swords be wielded?

Take a ten foot wide corridor. Character fits just fine, but if the swords are 14' long, they don't fit. Thus the problem.

Looks like its going to come down to a judgement call on my part. Which is fine. Was just hoping there was a rule somewhere for me to fall back on.