PDA

View Full Version : New magic item pricing question

PaladinBoy
2007-09-10, 09:32 PM
Alright, here's what I have:

Dragonmark Whip Bracer
This silver bracer has one yellow and one red crystal set into it. Each one is tied to a specific type of dragonmark. As a swift action, any person with a greater or Siberys version of the appropriate mark can activate the spell greater dragonmark whip. Doing so expends 1 charge from the bracer. A newly created bracer has 50 charges; when all of them are expended, the bracer becomes nonmagical.
Moderate transmutation; CL 11th; Craft Wondrous Item; greater dragonmark whip, creator must have a greater of Siberys dragonmark of the appropriate type; Price 49,500 gp; Weight 2 lb.

The one question I have is the price. I used the DMG's guidelines for a spell trigger item with 50 charges; they seem reasonably accurate. However, I have no idea how to account for 2 factors:
1) The user of the item does not have to know the spell, and
2) The rather specific dragonmark-based limitation.

Any advice on how to adjust the price for this? Any criticism in general?

Jasdoif
2007-09-10, 10:35 PM
So it's basically a wand? OK, that means the guidelines are a bit more reliable...

1) The user of the item does not have to know the spellUse the use-activated formula, with the price halved to account for the item having 50 charges instead of having unlimited use.

2) The rather specific dragonmark-based limitation.A restriction like requiring a specific class or alignment is suggested to reduce the price by 30%. I'm not familiar with dragonmarks, are they difficult to acquire? If so, I'd advise the same 30% reduction.

Those two things combined would yield a price of 46,200.

SCPRedMage
2007-09-11, 12:58 AM
I'm not familiar with dragonmarks, are they difficult to acquire?
You have to be one of the races that can manifest them, and then take the appropriate feats. It'll take three feats (and 12 ranks in two skills) to get a greater dragonmark, and you can only get a Siberys mark from a prestige class.