PDA

View Full Version : So the group I DM acquired an alchemist and is opening an alchemy "potion" shop....

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-07-16, 05:43 PM
One of the groups I'm lucky enough to DM for cracks me up. They "saved" an alchemist who was working for a mob boss type fellow and took him out of town for both his safety and for profit.

They are planning on opening a shop on the opposite corner of an intersection from a perfectly fine alchemy shop similar to the CVS/Walgreens/Lowes/Home Depot plan and totally had me rolling with their description of this.

I figure it will give them a bit of regular income and lead to a quest or two. First the guy on the other corner might try to sabotage them. Second, to make really good potions I'm sure you need really rare ingredients. The alchemist already asked for dragon scales from the dragonborn lol. Any better ideas? Our Druid wanted to make a bomb so I told him go find some saltpeter.

Unoriginal
2018-07-16, 06:15 PM
Two questions:

-Are you talking about alchemical substances like acid or alchemist's fire, or about magic potions?

-Have you read the Xanathar's chapter on downtime?

SLOTHRPG95
2018-07-16, 10:13 PM
Characters with a stake in an established business make for characters with easy plothooks, as long as it's not abused too often. I'd say what you have in mind sounds about right.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-07-16, 10:36 PM
Two questions:

-Are you talking about alchemical substances like acid or alchemist's fire, or about magic potions?

-Have you read the Xanathar's chapter on downtime?

They are probably expecting both kinds. I wouldn't mind having their Dwarf alchemist be good at something but every healing potion of his you drink lowers your intelligene by 1 until you finish a long rest.

SLOTHRPG95
2018-07-17, 10:32 AM
They are probably expecting both kinds. I wouldn't mind having their Dwarf alchemist be good at something but every healing potion of his you drink lowers your intelligene by 1 until you finish a long rest.

So... alcohol? (Obviously under the theory that "hit points" don't equal actual injury until you're beyond a certain points, hence being able to fight fine at half health).