PDA

View Full Version : non-standard wild shape usefulness

Mike Miller
2018-07-16, 09:15 PM
I am the DM and plan on giving my Druid a bonus wild shape form. Of Giant, Monstrous Humanoid, Fey, and Ooze, which is most useful overall (in relation to one another, not all forms)? I am thinking of versatility as well as combat prowess. I don't use druids much, so I can't really take a guess from experience with wild shape. My guess is Monstrous Humanoid due to the number of choices, but quantity doesn't mean they have quality.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-07-17, 08:25 AM
I am the DM and plan on giving my Druid a bonus wild shape form. Of Giant, Monstrous Humanoid, Fey, and Ooze, which is most useful overall (in relation to one another, not all forms)? I am thinking of versatility as well as combat prowess. I don't use druids much, so I can't really take a guess from experience with wild shape. My guess is Monstrous Humanoid due to the number of choices, but quantity doesn't mean they have quality.

Probably Monstrous Humanoid and then Giant. Both have a lot of good forms. Giant may have the edge on power but i believe MH wins on versatility.
Fey and Ooze on the other hand have barely any forms and most of them aren't very good.

You could also look through the Master of Many Forms Bible (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472737-Updated-Master-of-Many-Forms-Bible-official-wild-shape-rules-(recovered)) - it has a nice list - and make up your own mind.

Bronk
2018-07-17, 01:33 PM
I think the choice would be affected by how many, if any, of the creature's innate powers you'll be giving them. For example, are they getting supernatural abilities? Are you waiving the size restrictions? That sort of thing.

liquidformat
2018-07-17, 02:05 PM
they should already have all the mobility options they need with all the animal choices so I would say giant over monstrous humanoid. You get quite a few great form like the different trolls (except for war troll they very nicely gave them monstrous humanoid levels so they would get full bab and better hd) and the list expands as your size limit increases. If EX are allowed monstrous humanoid is a better due to having more and more interesting choices. In general the fey are very underwhelming especially without being able to take the su, sla, and casting abilities they possess; the two that stand out that don't have too many rhd are redcaps which are just awesome and verdant lords which have great dex. Oozes are kind of weird and without their su not great and with their su can turn into silly cheese you probably don't want to add into your game like splitting...

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-17, 02:51 PM
Constructs have all sorts of utility and combat potential.

Just throwing that out there.

liquidformat
2018-07-17, 03:21 PM

Except for the fact that almost all of them don't fit the druid theme.

Gnaeus
2018-07-17, 03:28 PM
Totally monstrous humanoid. Stuff like the Abeil, which can speak, has hands, flies, and is legit for combat or casting support, or all the forms with 4+ arms so you can hold a wand and a staff and a rod at once with a hand free.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-07-17, 03:38 PM
I think the choice would be affected by how many, if any, of the creature's innate powers you'll be giving them. For example, are they getting supernatural abilities? Are you waiving the size restrictions? That sort of thing.

I'd assume normal WS rules since it's not stated otherwise.

Constructs usually have a lot of HD for their CR. And generally very little in the way of Natural or Extraordinary abilities. Both of those make them bad for WS.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-17, 03:40 PM
Except for the fact that almost all of them don't fit the druid theme.They do if they appear to be made from organic, all-natural ingredients. Stone golems can look like earth elementals, wooden animated objects can look like trees grown into elven furniture or floating mossy carpets, etc.

Constructs usually have a lot of HD for their CR. And generally very little in the way of Natural or Extraordinary abilities. Both of those make them bad for WS.Animated objects have all sorts of potential, including a LOT of utility.

Mike Miller
2018-07-17, 04:45 PM
So it seems like either monstrous humanoid or giant is the way to go. I am not changing wild shape rules otherwise. I will have to check out the handbook too. I like the idea of the giant list expanding more once the larger wild shape forms arrive. I'm guessing most monstrous humanoids are closer to medium than the giants.

Bronk
2018-07-17, 08:30 PM
So it seems like either monstrous humanoid or giant is the way to go. I am not changing wild shape rules otherwise. I will have to check out the handbook too. I like the idea of the giant list expanding more once the larger wild shape forms arrive. I'm guessing most monstrous humanoids are closer to medium than the giants.

I'd go with giant too, in that case. They'd also keep the rock throwing, if nothing else. I'd drop a bunch of wilding clasps to avoid accidental giant nudity though.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-17, 08:42 PM
Oh, and anyone who can turn into a chain golem can turn themselves into a blade barrier effect as an [Ex] attack.

Just for the record, of course.