PDA

View Full Version : Mr Rogers in a blood stained sweater

Warchon
2018-07-16, 10:15 PM
Just for fun

Can we stat up a Fred Rogers character who could, as per the old Lemon Demon song, come out on top after an apocalyptic battle of the titans?
He doesn't necessarily need to handle a toe-to-toe with Superman, but he's got to have some way to stay alive in the thick of things while mountain-levelling punches are being thrown.
I'll also consider this a success if somebody could look at the results without seeing the name and immediately ask "Did you just build Mr Rogers?"

Possible starting points: (Not necessarily all on one build)

Native Outsider, Positive Energy Plane ties

Henrietta etc: Does Fred abuse Animate Objects tricks? Or is he some kind of minionmancer who turns vanquished foes into literal hand puppets?

Bard or Marshal might be a good fit: CHA based and focused on helping his special people be the best they can be

Leadership?

Possible stat array
8 STR (He's an older gentleman in most of our memories)
12 DEX (Does plenty with his hands)
11 CON (He's pretty fit)
14 INT (Aiming at 10 IQ per INT)
18 WIS (Clearly much wiser than most of us)
22 CHA (Needs no explanation)

Max ECL or CR around level 20? I think we can mostly agree he was epic, but we need some kind of level cap or there's no challenge here.

I would lean away from spellcasting, I think, but that's just how I see it. Psionics doesn't feel particularly out of character, and I'll be surprised if he didn't have some (Su) and (Ex) abilities.

Feel free to use any resource, including homebrew, or give him a mon-man type entry...at the end of the day, if he's formidable on the field but still feels like Mr Rogers, I'd say we hit it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-16, 10:20 PM
Try a Lawful Good diplomancer build? (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Politico_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build))

ben-zayb
2018-07-16, 10:20 PM
I'd probably find a way to Fiend of Possession. That would pretty much enable him to dodge physical blows by being ethereal and/or simply possessing and controlling the actions of creatures or objects. Worst case scenario, he "hides" by possessing the very terrain the battle is taking place on to prevent hits entirely.

Warchon
2018-07-16, 10:29 PM
Try a Lawful Good diplomancer build? (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Politico_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build))

I love it. Wow is that ever broken. XD

Fiend would obviously need some major reflavoring but mechanically it's an interesting class for this too.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-16, 10:44 PM
I love it. Wow is that ever broken. XD

Fiend would obviously need some major reflavoring but mechanically it's an interesting class for this too.You could even use both in the same build. He gathers armies to his call, and like the Borg, you will be assimilated; resistance is futile. Your biological and thaumaturgical distinctiveness will be added to his own.

TheStranger
2018-07-16, 10:51 PM
I'd stick Vow of Peace in there somewhere. Both for general flavor and for the calming aura.

Spore
2018-07-16, 10:58 PM
I'd stick Vow of Peace in there somewhere. Both for general flavor and for the calming aura.

Yup. Fits the person (not persona, afaik he doesn't play a figure on TV) of Mr Rogers quite well. Honestly for a quick and dirty build I'd say he is a buffing Favored Soul or an enchanting Sorcerer/Wizard.

CharonsHelper
2018-07-16, 11:07 PM
A bard with Perform: Uplifting Speech wouldn't be amiss either.

Bullet06320
2018-07-17, 01:42 AM
ranks in swim, he was an avid swimmer

he was a Presbyterian minister, so sumthing clericy or religious at least would be fitting

some sort of puppet minion mastery as well, altho I like the animated object abuse idea

Warchon
2018-07-17, 04:22 AM

he was a Presbyterian minister, so sumthing clericy or religious at least would be fitting

some sort of puppet minion mastery as well, altho I like the animated object abuse idea

I'm like a +4 Atheist and I would convert in a heartbeat just to go to Mr. Rogers' sermons.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-17, 08:28 AM

he was a Presbyterian minister, so sumthing clericy or religious at least would be fittingFor added irony, have him follow Pelor, the Burning Hate (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?443306-quot-Pelor-the-Burning-Hate-quot-(from-Wizards-forum)).

Telonius
2018-07-17, 10:06 AM
I'd have to put him in as using the Saint Bertold (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=5998772&postcount=2) build. First three levels as a Cleric3. (I really want to put Bard, but he's definitely Lawful).

Whatever 3/Knight 4/Apostle of Peace 4/Full Caster Progression PrC X

Saint Bertold should only be played by a mature player, interested in a lot of roleplaying, with an all Good group interested in a challenge. Your Vows have all sorts of ridiculous pre-conditions, such as taking all helpless or incapacitated living enemies prisoner instead of killing them. So again, do not play this build unless everyone in your party is on board with it. That said, here’s how it works:

Whatever 3 can be anything with Concentration (prereq for Apostle of Peace) as a class Skill A mix of Paladin, Binder, Incarnate, and/or any Skill Monkey class might be a good idea.

Knight gives you Test of Mettle.

Apostle of Peace (Book of Exalted Deeds) offers ridiculously fast casting, giving you 9th level spells at ECL 16, albeit from good but somewhat limited list. It also gives you Turn Undead, a no Save Calm Emotions, and Censure Demons. Nothing but spells after 4 levels though, so head into any other PrC that offers full caster progression.

The catch is that you need to take Sacred Vow, Vow of Peace, Vow of Non-Violence, and Vow of Poverty.

Vow of Peace and Vow of Non-Violence boosts the Save DCs of all of your abilities and spells (including Test of Mettle), makes weapons break against you, and give you other abilities.

So your combos are rather strait forward. Use Test of Mettle, and enemies will hopelessly attack you, breaking their weapons against you. Your friends can incapacitate those who aren't effected, and then focus on the people who are one at a time. If an enemy isn’t effected by Test of Mettle, you can use Calm Emotions, Skills, or the many spells at your disposal.

thorr-kan
2018-07-17, 02:40 PM
I'm like a +4 Atheist and I would convert in a heartbeat just to go to Mr. Rogers' sermons.
Did you watch Mister Rogers' Neighborhood? If so, I'll see you on Sunday. :smallsmile:

If you get the chance, see the Won't You Be My Neighbor? documentary. Big screen is nice, but not necessary. Spoiler warning: it exposes the deep, dark secret of Fred Rogers: he was exactly what he seemed. And he was *awesome.*

It included footage of his Senate interview for PBS funding. Doubly awesome.

ObDND: Cloistered Cleric Diplomancer. NG. Maybe Bard? Definitely Words of Creation. Some Dragonlexi for laughs?

Braininthejar2
2018-07-17, 04:27 PM
Since noone has linked it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMnAGN2gRsw

Warchon
2018-07-17, 05:39 PM
...in going through these (I love threads like this, I learn so many classes and features I might otherwise never have discovered) I am baffled by Apostle of Peace.

Vow of Poverty as a class prereq, but the Weapons and Armor section dictates explicitly that they can wear magic bracers or other nonarmor protective equipment. Except if they do so, they irrevocably lose the feat forever. How did that get past proofreading?

Gerrtt
2018-07-17, 08:05 PM
It's worth noting that something with music in would be appropriate because he wrote and performed all the original music on the show.

Telonius
2018-07-17, 09:40 PM
...in going through these (I love threads like this, I learn so many classes and features I might otherwise never have discovered) I am baffled by Apostle of Peace.

Vow of Poverty as a class prereq, but the Weapons and Armor section dictates explicitly that they can wear magic bracers or other nonarmor protective equipment. Except if they do so, they irrevocably lose the feat forever. How did that get past proofreading?

Yeah, it's a known bit of weirdness. The Dysfunctional Rules handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=14536844&postcount=2) has an entry on it (noted first by Chronos (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15290277&postcount=184)). They either completely forgot that Vow of Poverty was a prereq, or intended the class feature to over-ride VoP's restrictions.