PDA

View Full Version : Can Psicrystals carry or push light objects?

Crichton
2018-07-17, 12:10 AM
I asked this question in the RAW thread, and got an "I think..." answer, instead of a rules citation, so I'll ask it here, to allow people to discuss more. (No offense, Arkhios, I do appreciate you answering!)

I've edited the original question for more detail:

By RAW, can a Psicrystal using the self-propulsion ability carry or in any way move a Power Stone, or any other very light object? They have a listed STR of 1(when self-propulsion is activated), and Power Stones don't have a listed weight, but are probably lower than the 1.5lb light encumbrance limit of a STR 1 Diminutive construct, and almost certainly lower than the 7.5lbs a Diminutive construct with STR 1 could push or drag.

I guess it's down to 2 sets of questions:

1:Can they carry anything, since they don't have hands? They do have an unspecified number of legs... What about pushing, pulling, or otherwise moving/manipulating items?
2: How much do Power Stones weigh? They're described as 'thumb-sized' so I don't imagine it can be much, but I can't find a listing anywhere.

And to be super specific about how the question came up: if a psion is locked in a jail cell, but his belongings, including a power stone that could help him escape, are right outside the jail cell, can he send his psicrystal to go retrieve the stone?

Jack_Simth
2018-07-17, 12:18 AM
I guess it's down to 2 sets of questions:

1:Can they carry anything, since they don't have hands? They do have an unspecified number of legs... What about pushing, pulling, or otherwise moving/manipulating items?
2: How much do Power Stones weigh? They're described as 'thumb-sized' so I don't imagine it can be much, but I can't find a listing anywhere.

And to be super specific about how the question came up: if a psion is locked in a jail cell, but his belongings, including a power stone that could help him escape, are right outside the jail cell, can he send his psicrystal to go retrieve the stone?
1: DM call, basically, but probably yes. Worst-case scenario, I can see them slowly head-butting a thing, or maybe the psion rigging a sling out of scraps of cloth.
2: Eh, I'm not finding a RAW answer for you, but it's almost certainly negligible.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-17, 09:02 AM
It's a Diminutive creature with 1 Str. The amount it can carry and/or push is negligible, though not 0. Adding ability points from its HD will increase this amount, as will bonuses from other sources, such as animal affinity and Str-boosting items. Size-altering effects and feats/items that boost carrying capacity will do the same. If the psicrystal has ectoplasmic legs at some point, it should count as a quadruped, and its carrying capacity will increase as such.

Calculate its push/drag amount according to the above factors. If the amount it's trying to move falls within that range, then it can move it. If not, then no.

It might be better to just give the psicrystal a ring of telekinesis or some other way to cast that spell. That's always useful. Or you could give it a psychoactive skin of proteus, an item of alter self, or some other way to change its form into something much stronger.

Andor13
2018-07-17, 09:08 AM
It has a strength score (albeit a tiny one) and a dex score, so it can manipulate objects.

Of course, it has no hands or digits even, so it's about like asking your tarantula familiar to grab the keys.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-07-17, 09:09 AM
It has a strength score (albeit a tiny one) and a dex score, so it can manipulate objects.

Of course, it has no hands or digits even, so it's about like asking your tarantula familiar to grab the keys.Its limbs do stick to stuff, so it can most likely use its limbs like somewhat sticky fingers.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-07-17, 09:13 AM
I'd rule that it can carry and push objects, subject to the usual carrying capacity limits. Psicrystals have a climb speed, so they can at the very least hold on to walls well enough to support their own weight. That leads me to think they can hold on to objects, too.

Zaq
2018-07-17, 09:19 AM
Agreed. It has STR, and therefore it can exert physical force on objects.

For a STR of 1 on a Diminutive critter, a light load is 3/4 of a pound, a medium load is up to 1.5 pounds (6/4), and a heavy load is up to 2.5 pounds (10/4). Push/drag limit should be about 12.5 pounds (5 times 2.5) under conditions that are neither especially favorable or especially unfavorable.

Interestingly, if it has exactly four "spidery legs," you can double these numbers thanks to the quadruped rule. But if it doesn't have exactly four legs, that technically doesn't apply.

Fouredged Sword
2018-07-17, 12:12 PM
Agreed. It has STR, and therefore it can exert physical force on objects.

For a STR of 1 on a Diminutive critter, a light load is 3/4 of a pound, a medium load is up to 1.5 pounds (6/4), and a heavy load is up to 2.5 pounds (10/4). Push/drag limit should be about 12.5 pounds (5 times 2.5) under conditions that are neither especially favorable or especially unfavorable.

Interestingly, if it has exactly four "spidery legs," you can double these numbers thanks to the quadruped rule. But if it doesn't have exactly four legs, that technically doesn't apply.

Wierder still, a winged quadraped can fly with twice the load of a two legged quadraped.

Wierd.