PDA

View Full Version : Check My Monster Math (ASiC STAY OUT)

Fax Celestis
2007-09-10, 10:52 PM
Players of A Storm Is Coming: stay out. For your own safety, the rest of this has been placed within a spoiler.

The party is coming up rather rapidly on a vicious battle with one who is petitioning to become a deity. The party, being mostly on the CG/CN side of the spectrum, doesn't want this to happen, nor do a number of their patrons.

The monster in question is as follows, and I want to make sure I've got all of his abilities laid out correctly prior to their subsequent combat with him.

Ghulurak
Half-Farspawn Spellwarped Voidmind Dark Advanced Frost Worm
Size/Type: Huge Outsider (Aug. Aberration, Aug. Magical Beast, Native, Cold)
Hit Dice: 14d10+136 (276 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), burrow 20 ft.
Armor Class: 34 (-2 size, +4 Dex, +19 natural, +3 deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+39
Attack: Bite +27 melee (2d8+11 plus 1d8 cold)
Full Attack: Bite +27 melee (2d8+11 plus 1d8 cold), three tentacles +25 melee (2d6+5 plus 1d8 cold; 15' reach)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Trill, cold, breath weapon, cone of slime, constrict, improved grab, sentient tentacles
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., superior low-light vision, blindsight 60', hide in plain sight, death throes, spell absorption, change shape, spell-like abilities, immunity to mind affecting effects, immunity to poison, immunity to cold, immunity to acid, resist (electricity) 10, vulnerability to fire, DR 10/magic, SR 25
Saves: Fort +23, Ref +13, Will +14
Abilities: Str 36, Dex 18, Con 34, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +7, Escape Artist + 8, Hide +39, Intimidate +7, Knowledge (Arcana) +11, Knowledge (Nature) +11, Knowledge (Psionics) +16, Knowledge (The Planes) +11, Listen +24, Move Silently +27, Spot +24, Speak Language (Abyssal, Infernal), Survival +22, Swim +21
Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Multiattack, Power Attack, Awesome Blow, Alertness (Bonus), Combat Reflexes (Bonus), Great Fortitude (Bonus)
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Languages: Common, Auran, Aquan, Abyssal, Infernal, Draconic

Trill (Su)
Ghulurak can emit a noise that forces his prey to stand motionless. This sonic mind-affecting compulsion affects all creatures other than frost worms within a 100-foot radius. Creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Will save or be stunned for as long as he trills and for 1d4 rounds thereafter, even if they are attacked. However, if attacked or violently shaken (a full-round action), a victim is allowed another saving throw. Once a creature has resisted or broken the effect, it cannot be affected again by that same frost worm's trill for 24 hours. The effect's caster level is 14th. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Cold (Ex)
Ghulurak's body generates intense cold, causing opponents within 30' to take 1d8 points of cold damage every round. Creatures attacking Ghulurak unarmed or with natural weapons take this same cold damage each time one of their attacks hits.

Breath Weapon (Su)
30-foot cone, once every 1d4 rounds, damage 15d6 cold, Reflex DC 29 half. Opponents held motionless by the frost worm's trill get no saving throw. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Death Throes (Ex)
When killed, Ghururak turns to ice and shatters in an explosion that deals 12d6 points of cold damage and 8d6 points of piercing damage to everything within 100 feet (Reflex half DC 29). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Deflection (Su)
Ghulurak receives his Charisma modifier as a deflection bonus to his AC.

Hide In Plain Sight (Ex)
Ghulurak can use the Hide skill even while being observed (except in natural daylight, the area of a daylight spell, or a similar effect).

Spell Absorption (Su)
Whenever a spell fails to pass Ghulurak's SR, he may gain one of the following abilities for one minute: +4 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con, temporary HP equal to 5 times the spell's level, speed increase equal to 5 times the spell's level, or resistance 10 to any element.

Change Shape (Su)
As a standard action, Ghulurak can take the form of a grotesque, tentacled mass. This ability functions as described for the change shape ability (see page 306 of the Monster Manual), except as follows: movement modes do not change; retains the tentacle attacks granted by this template and gains two additional tentacle attacks when making a full attack; cannot be flanked, and is not subject to extra damage from critical hits; and creatures native to the Material Plane take a –1 morale penalty on attack rolls against Ghulurak in his amorphous form.

Cone of Slime (Su)
Once per day as a standard action, Ghulurak can expel the psionically charged slime in his head in a 30' cone. This attack deals 14d6 points of acid damage, with a DC 29 Reflex save for half damage. Any creature damaged by this spray takes a –2 penalty on Will saves and is stunned for 1d4+1 rounds. A successful Fortitude save versus DC 29 negates the stunning effect. The save DCs are Constitution based.

Constrict (Ex)
Ghulurak deals an extra 2d6+19 damage with a successful grapple check. When he constricts, only one of his tentacles is used.

Improved Grab (Ex)
If Ghulurak hits a creature of Huge size or smaller with a tentacle attack, he can automatically attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If he wins the grapple, he establishes a hold and can constrict.

Sentient Tentacles (Ex)
Ghulurak's tentacles attack of their own accord. He can direct them to attack certain targets, but the psionic nature of the tentacle enables it to flex and move in combat without hindering Ghulurak's other combat abilities. When Ghulurak has grappled a creature, he may attack another creature at no penalty, as long as that creature is within his tentacles' reach.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp)
Ghulurak's caster level for his spell-like abilities is 14.

3/day – blur, blink, ethereal jaunt; 1/day – true strike, touch of idiocy, stinking cloud, greater invisibility, telekinesis

Skills
*Ghulurak, due to its coloration and its affinity for burying itself in the snow, has a +10 racial bonus on Hide checks in his native environment. The Dark template affords him a +8 bonus to Hide and a +6 bonus to Move Silently. The Voidmind template affords him a +4 bonus on Bluff, Escape Artist, and Intimidate checks.
A few notes: Some changes have been made to the actual statistics of the initial frost worm, and certain features of the templates (such as the mind flayer host feature of the Voidmind template) have been omitted for story reasons. What I'm mainly looking for here is affirmation that I have accounted for all the statistics of the creature correctly and that no errors have been made in his stat block. And yes, he gets max HP per die. He's a demigod.

Thanks!

Zincorium
2007-09-10, 11:14 PM
I'll work more later, but DANG.

The PC's are not going to know what hit them. Even if they kill it and dissect the corpse.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-10, 11:16 PM
I'll work more later, but DANG.

The PC's are not going to know what hit them. Even if they kill it and dissect the corpse.

That is totally the intention. :smallbiggrin: Also, there will be no corpse, thanks to the Death Throes ability.

Jasdoif
2007-09-11, 12:19 AM
Grapple modifier is +39? Shouldn't it be +35 (+14 BAB, +13 Str, +8 Size)?

Also, the bite's attack bonus should be +25 (+14 BAB, +13 Str, -2 Size), and the bite's base damage should be 2d8+13.

Thrawn183
2007-09-11, 09:35 AM
I don't see a range on the bite attack. I see 15ft. for the tentacles, is the bite the same? I also don't see an option of using a single tentacle for an attack.

Items?
CR?

Lord Tataraus
2007-09-11, 09:38 AM
Wow, I just want to say that is one messed up...thing...good job!

Dizlag
2007-09-11, 09:45 AM
I second Jasdoif's numbers. Fax, you missed the size modifier to it's attack roll (-2). Also, the tentacle attacks should be +23 and damage should be 2d6+6. The Strength modifier is +13, so half would be +6 not +5.

Very nice job!

Dizlag

Fax Celestis
2007-09-11, 12:22 PM
I don't see a range on the bite attack. I see 15ft. for the tentacles, is the bite the same? I also don't see an option of using a single tentacle for an attack.

Items?
CR?

The bite attack uses his natural reach. The tentacles, due to the Half-Farspawn template, have 5' more reach than his natural reach. Due to the same template, however, the tentacles are always secondary and cannot be used as primary.

No items, as he's a frost worm and can't really use them and/or have a place to store them.

And CR, by last calculation, is 18.

Oeryn
2007-09-11, 01:00 PM
Cone of Slime (Su)
Once per day as a standard action, Ghulurak can expel the psionically charged slime in his head in a 30' cone.

Seriously, it doesn't get much wronger than that.

Dizlag
2007-09-11, 01:06 PM
A 30' cone of psionically charged snot? Brilliant! :smallbiggrin:

It puts everything in perspective, doesn't it? LOL

Dizlag

Jasdoif
2007-09-12, 03:25 PM
...and the bite's base damage should be 2d8+13.Actually, take that back. I was getting confused on the natural weapon rules; since the bite is the creature's primary attack and there's only one bite attack, it should get one-and-a-half times Strength to damage. So, 2d8+19.

Also, does one of the templates alter the Will save progression? If not, the Will save should be +9 (+4 base, +5 Wis), as it would retain the poor save progression of its original type.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-12, 03:43 PM
Actually, take that back. I was getting confused on the natural weapon rules; since the bite is the creature's primary attack and there's only one bite attack, it should get one-and-a-half times Strength to damage. So, 2d8+19.

Also, does one of the templates alter the Will save progression? If not, the Will save should be +9 (+4 base, +5 Wis), as it would retain the poor save progression of its original type.

IIRC, I think the Voidmind template gives a +4 bonus, but I don't recall off the top of my head. I'll check it tonight.