PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerers and delaying spell progression

Laughingdagger
2018-07-17, 03:03 PM
Is it potentially not as disastrous for a sorcerer to multiclass into another full-caster as we think? Sorcerer is already all about being able to do a few things very often very well, and if you keep full caster progression by MC'ing wizard, druid, or cleric, you retain spell SLOT level and amount progression, which translates into free sorcery points for either more spells or more metamagic.

Normally a daunting consequence, spell progression delay, but I feel like the Sorcerer has a really good go of this sort of situation, at least over the other full casters.

I would love to hear others' thoughts, I'm making a dragon sorcerer X/evoker wizard 2 mainly for backstory thematics and sculpt spells, and this phenomena was something I noticed. At Sorcerer 8 Wizard 2 the character has 2 5th level spell slots but no 5th level spells known since they only learn 1 per level for the most part. These two spare 5th level slots can be cannibalized for sorcery points or used for upcasting.

Anyway, just a little interesting thought experiment.

sophontteks
2018-07-17, 03:14 PM
Do you perhaps mean wizards specifically?

Sorcerers are an extremely popular class to multiclass with bards, warlocks, and paladins, who all have charisma-based casting.And the way multiclassing rules work I don't think they really suffer at all when they MC with bards.

Quoxis
2018-07-17, 03:37 PM
Do you perhaps mean wizards specifically?

Sorcerers are an extremely popular class to multiclass with bards, warlocks, and paladins, who all have charisma-based casting.And the way multiclassing rules work I don't think they really suffer at all when they MC with bards.

When multiclassing two full casters, you get spell slots as if you stayed singleclassed, BUT you can’t learn new spells that neither of your class levels could cast.

For example, if you are a third level sorcerer, you have access to 2nd level spell slots and can only learn up to 2nd level spells. If you now mc into wizard, you’re a fourth level caster and can learn 1st level wizard spells - no 2nd level wizard spells, because you’re a first level wizard.
Now, going back to sorcerer for your fifth level, you’re now a fifth level caster and get access to 3rd level spell slots, BUT because you’re only a fourth level sorc, you can only learn spells that a fourth level sorc could learn, so only second level spells.

That’s what the OP is about.

Imo there’s a divide when it comes to different classes - warlocks, certain clerics and draconic sorcerers can deal neat damage with cantrips, which scale with character level independently from class levels.

The higher the starting level before dipping, the less you’re gonna suffer -third level spells (so fifth level casters) are a good cutting point to throw in a level of another class, because you now already have access to fireball and haste (and potentially other 3rd level spells, but are there any better ones than these?).

I personally like versatility more than pure combat effectiveness - i once had a goolock 2/druid 5 that didn’t have access to 4th level spells or slots, but he could haste and he had goodberries and faerie fires for days, and i had tons of fun before my GM decided that we needed a deadly encounter that ended... well, deadly for my character.