PDA

View Full Version : Labyrinthine - Team Contrary

Rizban
2018-07-17, 03:51 PM
http://www.mornproductions.com/gitp/labyrinthe/Delvington-small.jpgJonqash The Radiant is a genie of some sort. He appears to be neither djinn nor ifrit, though he exhibits traits of both.
He offers long term magical buffs and discounted spellcasting, perhaps even the rare _limited wish_, if he's in the right mood.
He requires access to any knowledge you discover as well as ownership of any magic items directly related to genies, for which he offers the market equivalent in spellcasting services.

You arrived in Delvington a two days ago and got settled into a very modest... hut hastily constructed. The construction seems sound enough, but you rather hope that no large storms blow through anytime soon.

A messenger arrived early this morning from Jonqash The Radiant, with a notice that you are given permission to enter into the dungeon at high noon today and instructed to arrive at the docks at least 30 minutes early.

Why the docks you might ask? Well, it seems some fool with a decanter of endless water died in the dungeon before deactivating it. The top two levels of the dungeon in the area quickly filled with water and collapsed, creating the small lake you see before you. Fortunately, a small island near the middle remains above the waters with a relatively safe entrance into the labyrinth below.

THEChanger
2018-07-17, 08:40 PM
Nicomede Gasparo Pia Bonaventura Speziale the Fourth completed the last of his morning devotions to the Locked Vault, the tallying of his current possessions and value. The total was less than it had previously been, it must be said. Much of Nicomede's value had been left behind in Altair, fleeing from his father's hired men. But all this was a temporary setback. The priest had been lucky to fall in with these adventuring types. They had even managed to find a sponsor - the jin Jonqash was intriguing, and Nicomede had hopes to converse further with him. The Radiant was old, and likely had knowledge that even the greatest libraries had forgotten. Anything that could be learned would be of great value.

Finished with his preparations, Nicomede rose, cracked his neck, and grinned. "Ah, my friends, our first foray into the dungeon awaits. Do you feel it? The untold riches, the bounty of knowledge, the wonders unknown, ripe for the taking! Despite these humble accommodations, I have never felt more ready in my life."

WindStruck
2018-07-17, 09:42 PM
"Hah, I can feel it too, lad," Gabbra said, giving the young man a hearty slap on the lower back. It was probably not the most welcome spot to receive a hard pat, but there were not many better options given their difference in height.

"Let's just hope tha' poor sod tha' flooded the dungeon didn't ruin everything in there," she said, as she walked over to her bag, packing the last of her stuff.

"Tha' reminds me. I reckon all that water isn't good for paper. And I ain't got no way o' keeping the water out. We probably need to swing by the shanty markets just to find something waterproof or the like. An' how long you reckon we be down there? I ne'er packed rations, though its a good idea. In case we get trapped down there or somethin'."

She shuddered thinking of that possibility.

JudgeKludge
2018-07-17, 10:14 PM
Roscoe

"Have faith sister, And our luck will bring us riches in these ruins. Though it is still probably a good idea to get something waterproof." Says Roscoe, purched atop the shoulder of his adamantine manservant."Onward Biggun, it's time to shop."

Lyndworm
2018-07-17, 10:32 PM
Biggun

The forged man beneath the little monk grunts in acknowledgement, a voice like steel on a whetstone echoing out of his breastplate. "Indeed." says Biggun, beginning a steady march toward the Merchant's District. "I have never met a dwarf afraid of going underground before, Gabbra. You continue to surprise me." he says thoughtfully.

WindStruck
2018-07-17, 10:37 PM
" 'Ey! I ain't afraid a going underground!" Gabbra says, pointing a stubby finger up at the warforged and his jockey.

"I'm afraid o' being trapped. There's a big diffrence. Anywho, let's not jinx it and get the show on the road."

THEChanger
2018-07-18, 08:05 PM
Nicomede frowned at the mention of the flooding. "Food I have a plenty, and I am happy to share. Getting it below will prove somewhat troublesome, with the flooding. May I impose upon one of you to loan me the fund to purchase a few waterproof bags for transport? I will repay in full out of my share of the goods we procure within, of course."

Rizban
2018-07-18, 09:18 PM
DM

Can you please start your posts with your character's name in bold? I haven't mentioned it before now, but that will really help me with keeping characters straight.

As you stand waiting on the dock, a wide, shallow boat with a small roofed section (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ab/Japon-1886-32.jpg/1280px-Japon-1886-32.jpg) approaches you. While large enough for the entire party, it is obvious that you will need to make two trips to safely transport all four of you and the mule to the island with the dungeon entrance.

The ferryman greets you with a silent nod and waits for you to board.

Lyndworm
2018-07-18, 09:49 PM
Biggun

The forged man approaches the boat with no small amount of caution, and gives a deep nod to the ferryman. He stoops low and extends an arm towards the deck so that Roscoe can more easily hop aboard, and then does his best to daintily step onto the boat himself. "I have a good feeling about this trip." he says, surveying the 'lake' with a pale green gaze and trying to make himself as small as he can.

WindStruck
2018-07-18, 09:53 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

"Oi! 'ello there!" Gabbra says, briskly walking up to the ferryman and shaking his hand. Perhaps a few more shakes than necessary.

She looks back and forth between the boat and the rest of the party several times, especially the mule, and finally says, "So Nico, I guess yer riding with yer mule?" She eagerly steps onto the boat with Roscoe and Biggun, leaving their 4th member behind with his pack animal.

"Dun worry, we won't touch nothin' till you get there!"

JudgeKludge
2018-07-18, 10:10 PM
Roscoe

"You know what Biggun, that may just be the smartest thing that I've ever heard you say. And I couldn't agree more! This is going to be great!" the pilgrim says cheerily to his faithful bodyguard. "Gabby, do you know any fun songs for the ride?"

Rizban
2018-07-18, 10:18 PM
DM

The ferryman looks at Gabbra's outstretched hand with a blank gaze before looking off across the water without grasping it. He continues to not speak.

As soon as the three are aboard, he pushes off from the dock, poles the boat over to the island, and allows them to disembark before returning for Nicomede and his mule.

Once the party is safely on the tiny island, the boat heads back toward the dock.

Calling this an "island" is generous. In fact, it appears to be more akin to the topmost section of a set of ruins rather than an actual island. You stand on a small, rocky outcropping about 30 feet in diameter that is no more than 4 or 5 inches above the water at its highest. There is a 10 foot wide round hole in the very middle and second, smaller hole with what appears to be a stone staircase leading down.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/85/ec/d2/85ecd2bf26ff1e6dedc3b0712f9039f1.jpg

Looking down over the lip of the hole, you realize that there is about a 100 foot drop straight down with a spiral staircase around the sides, cut deeper into the stone, leaving the central shaft completely clear.

The mule should be able to traverse the stairs, but it will need to squeeze the entire way down. It does not look pleased with the idea, or the trip in general thus far.

WindStruck
2018-07-18, 10:39 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

"O' course I do!" the dwarf offers, bursting into a song as the three slowly embarked.

"Oh, what will we do with a drunken kobold?
What will we do with a drunken kobold?
What will we do with a drunken kobold?
Early in the morning!

Way hay and up she rises,
Early in the morning!

Shave his scales with a rusty razor,
Early in the morning!

Early in the morning!

Put him in a long boat till he's sober,
Early in the morning!

Early in the morning!

Stick him in a barrel with a hosepipe on him,
Early in the morning!

Gabbra continues singing a bit till she gets bored of the song.

---

She stares down the big hole while they wait for Nicomede to arrive, remarking at the depth of the drop.

"Tha' first step is a doozy," she remarks. "You takin' the lead, Biggun?"

Lyndworm
2018-07-18, 10:54 PM
Biggun

The forged man glances at Roscoe before saying to Gabbra "Sounds like a good approach. Keep your eyes sharpened and try to stay in my shadow." As soon as Nicomede gets his mule sorted out, Biggun takes point and begins the descent.

JudgeKludge
2018-07-18, 11:00 PM
Roscoe

"I don't trust this hole, what's at the bottom?" with a strangely serious look on his face Roscoe proceeds to the edge of the larger hole and flips a copper piece down the pit I'd like to make a Perception check to hear the coin
[roll0]"bless us o' lady, we will need your grace." with that he turns to follow Biggun and the group down the stairs "Let's go get some loot!"

WindStruck
2018-07-18, 11:33 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

"There's only one way to find out," Gabbra says, following Biggun with her handaxe drawn.

"I hope yer coin didin wake no one up."

Rizban
2018-07-18, 11:35 PM
DM

Gabbra's song is interrupted by a cold, wet thunk on the head from the ferryman's pole.

"Shh!" he hisses at her before looking around nervously.

The waters remain calm... for the moment.

Roscoe's coin spins through the air for a moment before clanging on the stone floor deep below.

WindStruck
2018-07-19, 03:02 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter (OOC)

sorry, I figure we should probably make some rolls?

Academics: [roll0]
I wonder if I can tell anything important.. or unique historical facts by the looks of the architecture.
For example culture, nation, approx. date...

And of course this obligatory roll, for on the way down.
Perception: [roll1]

Rizban
2018-07-19, 03:31 PM
●●●●●●DM

You make your way slowly down the stairs, shoving the mule forward almost every step. The more meticulous (or OCD) among you counts the steps, discovering that the entire staircase is 400 feet long. There's not going to be a quick or easy ascent if you have to climb back out in a hurry.

Though you see the remnants of three traps along the staircase, they have been thoroughly disassembled and removed by earlier groups, though the lowest one still bears the bloodstains of an unfortunate adventurer.

You make your way down the spiral staircase into the deep darkness only to emerge into the center of a decently well-lit room. The vaulted ceiling is some thirty feet high, and the walls at least 50 feet away. Several mighty columns support the roof, each with one or two continual flames cast on otherwise empty torch sconces.

This large room is mostly empty, with only the detritus of adventurers present: scraps of broken gear, discarded rations, even the remnants of a shattered cart that looks as if it fell when someone tried to lower it from above.

There are closed doors in each of the four walls. Three doors head north, four doors head west, two doors head south, and three doors head east.

JudgeKludge
2018-07-19, 05:47 PM
Roscoe

Can I find my copper?

Perception:
[roll0]

THEChanger
2018-07-19, 09:07 PM
Nicomede Gasparo Pia Bonaventura Speziale the Fourth

As they finally descended the stairs, Nico absent-mindedly stroked Rodger's neck, softly cooing to calm his beast. His eyes flitted about, searching the room for anything of particular value. "Curious. Why try to bring a cart down here?
The extra room would be valuable of course, but surely anyone can see getting the thing in and out would be a great exertion."

A whole bunch of skill checks.

First, Perception, looking for anything useful amongst the debris. [roll0]
Second, Streetwise, looking for any identifying features on the scraps of gear. Point of origin, who else might be down here with us. [roll1]
Third, an Academics roll to see what information can be gleaned about the ruin's origins. [roll2]

WindStruck
2018-07-19, 11:21 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

"More treasure, lad. A' course it would be difficult gettin' a cart down..." Gabbra says, peering up the large hole the spiral staircase wound around. "Some blokes tried and failed though. A real lift system would'n be a bad idea. Imagine if something large needed ta be brought up. A statue, a throne made of gold... a cart full o' gems."

Gabbra rubbernecked around the room and took several paces here and there to survey it. "Looks like we got a choice now. An' I reckon some doors will lead to good things and others lead to bad. Or nothin'," she said with a shrug.

JudgeKludge
2018-07-20, 12:24 AM
Roscoe

"I think that may be from the fools who brought the ocean down here with them." says Roscoe as he examines the north most door.

Roscoe is checking for traps.

Perception:
[roll0]

Rizban
2018-07-20, 12:31 AM
●●●●●●DM

Gabbra and Nicomede collaborate for a few moments and discuss their thoughts on the ruins. These particular ruins were unknown and undocumented until just a few weeks ago, so they don't know anything about them from their past studies. However, they do know about dungeons in general.

There are two features by which dungeons are categorized: "Mundane vs Magical" and "Containment, Future Generations, and Vengeance."

Mundane vs Magical is fairly straightforward. If you find a locked vault with no magical protections, it's a mundane dungeon. A magical dungeon has magical protections on it. The line between the two is a bit fuzzy though. There are mundane dungeons with a few magical wards, and magical dungeons frequently have non-magical traps as well. The key difference in defining a dungeon as magical is whether or not the dungeon harnesses the ambient mana to reset traps. Mundane dungeons may contain monsters, but it's almost always just happenstance that the monsters stumbled across it and moved in. True magical dungeons are much more dangerous, because they tend to attract monsters like a moth to a flame, and sometimes, they seem to just spawn monsters as if from nothing.

The second category for dungeons is determined by the dungeon's purpose.

Containment dungeons are, quite obviously, meant to contain something. It could be a threat, a valuable natural resource, etc. Most frequently, this type of dungeon takes the form of a crypt meant to contain the dead, and the spontaneously occurring undead that tend plague any place where corpses are gathered. These are initially the most forgiving dungeons, as they typically were intended to be accessible from outside, but they have many traps and defenses that make it difficult for anyone or anything inside to get back out.

A dungeon meant for Future Generations is usually created when a powerful individual, such as an archmage, is about to die or a mighty empire begins to collapse. Before they meet their end, they secure their most powerful artifacts in vaults with the intention of having them be breached. Not that they would like their valuable artifacts to go into the hands of just anybody. These dungeons are riddled with traps, puzzles, and guardians meant to test those who enter, so that only those who have proved themselves worthy should receive the inheritance.

Vengeance are the absolute worst. When those who build a dungeon are furious at their own demise and resent the thought that their possessions will fall into the hands of another, a vengeance dungeon is constructed to seal away their most valuable treasures. They fill it with the nastiest traps, most vicious monsters, and most potent spells that their twisted minds can conceive. If adventurers were to go into them, they aren't likely to ever leave again. Such a dungeons is designed to brutally kill whoever dares to enter it.

Based on the information your party has gathered and the stories you've heard in town, you are starting to fear that this is a Magical Vengeance dungeon...

Roscoe manages to find his coin, but only because it didn't roll underneath anything in the room. The area around the entrance is fairly clear, with most of the garbage shoved towards the walls.

You note nothing of value among the detritus. Most adventuring parties don't wear coats of arms or any other clearly identifying marks beyond the gear they carry, and the things discarded here show no identifying marks that you have noticed.

Lyndworm
2018-07-20, 12:51 AM
Biggun

The forged man sidles up beside Roscoe at the north-most door. "Any objections?" he asks. Biggun reaches towards the door with a mighty fist and gives a surprisingly soft knock before trying to open it by whatever means necessary.

I'm assuming that Roscoe passes on that he finds no traps, and Gabbra and Nicomede do not object. If Biggun cannot find a knob or latch of some kind, he will allow Roscoe to attempt to disable it.

In the interest of saving us all some time, however, here's a check to break the door down if all else fails.

Strength Check:
[roll0]

Rizban
2018-07-20, 01:17 AM
●●●●●●DM

Biggun, with a massive show of strength, synthetic muscles bulging and rippling clearly, grasps the door handle in his steely fingers and gently opens the door.

As there is no "north most" door, all three northern doors being equally far north, we'll arbitrary say you've opened door number [roll0].

The rightmost door swings open, revealing that it is nearly 15 feet tall and 10 feet wide. The odd thing is that the ceiling of the hallway beyond quickly drops by 5 feet to a more-or-less uniform 10x10 hallway. After traversing a distance of only 20 feet, another, more normally-sized door stands closed.

The dusty floor shows signs that another group went this way recently, but you see no signs of their return trip.

WindStruck
2018-07-20, 01:33 AM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

"Whoa, whoa, hold an now," Gabbra said, hurrying over to the door Roscoe and Biggun were near.

But he already opened it before she could finish her sentence.

Rizban! Seems we are lucky nothing happened. I had been trying to discuss things in discord.

I absolutely do prefer a faster game pace and do not wish to slow the game down. However, before posting, would you mind doing a quick check on discord, if at all possible?

If I am about to post, I will usually be writing some comments and such beforehand.

Gabbra inhaled and stopped dead in her tracks, expecting the worst. Of course, being the first room and all, pretty much filled with garbage and not blood (save for the three traps along the stairs), maybe her worry was for nothing. And luckily it appeared so.

"Gentlemen," she begins, as she briskly covers the distance to the door, "I reckon this place is far more dang'rous than we first thought. It's very likely tha' whoever built this place was a foul, twisted monster, aiming ta kill any fool tha' finds it. Could be tha' all but one o' these doors lead to death traps," she says, gesturing back to the main room with a nervous shrug.

"Now I dun mean ta back out yet. But I think we need to take much more care than this," she says, gesturing at the door Biggun just opened. "I think we all oughta take a careful look at everything before touchin' somethin'. Tha' door, fer instence. Lemme have a look wit' ya next time, Roscoe," she says, pointing at the next door, about 20 feet down the hallway.

After that she awkwardly says, "Also, I brought with me some dungeoneerin' paint. How do ya fellas feel about me marking the way we go?"

JudgeKludge
2018-07-20, 05:04 PM
Roscoe

How symmetrical is the hallway, also how squared* are the corners of the hallway?
"That's a grand idea Gabbra, how much paint do you have though? I'd hate to run out half-way down the first corridor." Roscoe says looking for any reason that the celling looks like it does. "Gabbra, you asked to help me examine things right? What do you think about this ceiling?
At this point Roscoe is going to try and make an engineering check to see why the hallway is shorter than the door
Engineering:
[roll0]

Rizban
2018-07-20, 06:01 PM
●●●●●●DM

https://pre00.deviantart.net/8b62/th/pre/i/2003/40/0/a/castle_hallway.jpg

Roscoe determines that the ceiling is shaped this way to accommodate the massive door. He otherwise sees no purpose to it.

THEChanger
2018-07-20, 07:30 PM

"Specifically, Gabbra and I surmise the dungeon is magically infused, capable of resetting its traps and possibly restocking its monsters. Our offer from the...Mother, or whatever it was, should have tipped us off earlier, with its talk of dark and unnatural forces at the dungeon's heart. It is also probable the dungeon was built with the sole intention of stopping anyone from obtaining the treasures within, with lethal force being the preferred deterrent." Nico stepped forward, peering into the hall. "As such, we should most definitely proceed with extreme caution. I volunteer to take point, as traps are a subject of special interest to the Vault, and I have some experience in their disassembly." He looked around at the other doors. "For now, are we agreed to proceed down this hall, since the way lies open to us?"

As a Beguiler, Nico has the Trapfinding class feature, and with ranks in both Engineering and Perception, he is likely the best suited to take point in a trap-infested dungeons.

Speaking of which, Percepting the hallway for traps.

[roll0]

Rizban
2018-07-20, 08:28 PM
●●●●●●DM

Nicomede does not notice any traps in the hallway...

WindStruck
2018-07-20, 10:03 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

"Ceiling's just the ceilin', lad. Cause of the door. Well the hallway looks good. Let's take a look at the door before anyone touches it."

perception for traps on the door: [roll0]
Gabbra doesn't have trapfinding, so any others who want to look are welcome. :smallsmile:

Didn't seem like she found anything so she shrugged and headed back to the first massive door. "I got a whole can o' paint. It's not quite ordinary either. Even shows up bright with folks tha' see in the dark. And I don't plan on wasting it."

Setting the can down just outside the first massive door (north door number three), Gabbra pries the lid off and dips the smallish paintbrush in the bright orange substance, skillfully inscribing the sigil of a djinn, about four inches in diameter, just to the right of the door.

That was all she did for now, closing the can lid and drying the brush off as much as she could with a piece of waste cloth.

Lyndworm
2018-07-21, 01:04 AM
Biggun

Biggun opens the door to the next room, proceeding inside.

I'm just trying to move things along here. Ideally we'd wait for Nicomede to check the door, but it's been more than three days and so far we've succeeded in walking down a flight of stairs and opening two doors.

Rizban
2018-07-21, 07:16 PM
●●●●●●DM

Biggun feels a tingling sensation as he opens the second door but seems to suffer no ill effects.

The room beyond is 30 feet wide and 40 feet long. The door you have opened is in the southwest corner.

The room appears completely empty at first glance, but you notice the white orb of a humanoid skull on the floor in the very center of the room.

There is a door in the west wall in the far northern corner and a door about 30 feet north in the eastern wall.

https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/98aW5PBphoJJzAqAehLIm8FD7_tWCyD4vQo2_VMdjkM/https/cdn.thisiswhyimbroke.com/images/human-skull-life-size-replica-300x250.jpg

THEChanger
2018-07-21, 10:20 PM

Nico holds out a hand, indicating the others should stay back as he scans the room for magic and traps.

Perception check for traps, accompanied by three rounds of study with Detect Magic, cast as a Beguiler Cantrip.

Perception - [roll0]
And Arcane Lore to help interpret any results from Detect Magic - [roll1]

WindStruck
2018-07-22, 12:58 AM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

Gabbra finishes with her painting job and hustles back to the rest of the group, giving Nico another pat. "Great job checkin' the door for traps. Now what do we have here?"

She takes some steps into the room and immediately notices the skull sitting in the center. Very peculiar. She slowly walks around the room in a counter-clockwise fashion, giving the skull a very wide girth, focusing more on the walls behind her.

"Now what is this for?" she asked aloud?

perception checks on southern and eastern walls
south: [roll0]
east: [roll1]

Rizban
2018-07-22, 02:08 AM
●●●●●●DM

Nico notices no traps but does detect an aura of magic throughout the majority of the room, seemingly centered about 10 feet below the position of the skull. He notices a second aura centered on the handle of the door that Biggun just opened.

Gabbra contemplates the skull as she examines the room.

She thinks of several funerary practices where the skull is placed as a sort of marker where the person died, but this skull seems to lack any other indication of that. The skull seems to lack any markings or signs of arcane use.

After careful thought, she comes to the conclusion that it is most likely meant as a lure into a trap, though she can't be entirely certain.

Gabbra notices nothing unusual about the southern wall but manages to spot a dark arrow scratched onto the wall with charcoal. It appears to be pointing to a small, slightly depressed stone at about knee height. Examining the stone closer, it looks very much like a disguised button...

WindStruck
2018-07-22, 03:39 AM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

"Best keep your guard up," Gabbra says. "I can't help but feel the skull's meant to lure one inta a trap."

"Hm. I wonder if it's related to this button..."

She takes a closer look at the button and any possible mechanisms nearby.

perception: [roll0]
engineering: [roll1]

Trying to determine if there are any clues to tell what the button does.

Rizban
2018-07-22, 05:13 AM
●●●●●●DM

The button is just that, a button. It's a small stone set into a wall comprised of larger stones. There are no other visible mechanisms. Gabbra would need a way to see inside of the wall to determine more.

Of note, Nico did not detect any magic emanating from the button.

JudgeKludge
2018-07-22, 06:17 PM
Roscoe

Roscoe cautiously approaches Gabbra and examines the button.
perception:
[roll0]
If Roscoe can see no obvious reason not to push the button he proceedes to do so.
"what do you think this does?" he says with a smile.

Rizban
2018-07-22, 11:26 PM
●●●●●●DM

Roscoe pushes the button. A circle of glowing runes suddenly appears, centered on the skull, quickly radiating outward as fast as you can blink. The entire floor turns translucent, and the party falls through it as if it were not even there.

Roscoe, however, finds himself standing on a small platform just large enough to keep him from dropping through the floor. The skull also remains in place.

The pit below is 20 feet deep, causing the party to take [roll0] falling damage.

The moment one of you touches the bottom of the pit below, the floor above you turns opaque and solid once more.

The pit is pitch black, except for any light sources you might have with you.

Biggun sweeps his bullseye lantern across the pit, revealing the corpses of several past adventurers who fell prey to this trap and were unable to escape. A quick examination of them reveals that some died of thirst or starvation while others succumbed to their wounds after apparently turning on each other.

Roscoe suddenly finds himself completely alone in the dungeon, and with the party taking the only light source down the pit with them, the room fades into a pitch black.

WindStruck
2018-07-22, 11:51 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

In truth, Gabbra was very curious about what the button did. She might have even pressed it herself. But with all the talk about how this dungeon was likely extremely dangerous, she had thought it might be best to talk it over with the others. Little Roscoe jumped the gun, however, and her sheer curiosity turned to panic as she felt the floor disappear from under her.

The dwarf could hardly gasp, and before she could scream, instead she hit her rump hard on the stone floor below with a fairly loud and high-pitched grunt.

After slowly clambering to her feet, in an action that seemed more like rolling over more than necessary, Gabbra says, "Ugh! I knew it were a bad idea to push that button..." Then she realized Roscoe wasn't with them. Yes, now she remembered! She was falling... yet he was safely standing on a tiny little platform... "kinda wish I was the one tha' pushed it..." she mutters.

As she gets her bearings, she realizes she's trapped in a room. A handful of dead people were in here, apparently they died because they were trapped in here...

Her heart sank, like a pit in her stomach, and she really did begin to panic. "Oh no.. oh no... No, no, no! By the Gods, we're trapped! Just like.. ach!! I can't believe I jinxed meself!!" she exclaimed, wide-eyed, hands clutching the sides of her head as if poised to tear her hair out.

JudgeKludge
2018-07-23, 03:53 PM
Roscoe

"woops, guess I know what it does. Hmm, Hey, how you guys doing?"
can I hear anything in response?

Perception:
[Roll]1d20-3[/roll

Can I determine how the button functions, specificly could I hold the button down in order to prolong the amount of time the floor stays "open"

Engineering:
[roll0]

Lyndworm
2018-07-23, 04:57 PM
Biggun
After clambering to his feet, Biggun fishes a lit torch out of his pack and does his best to illuminate the room. "How sad for them." he remarks, gaze fixed on the former adventurers. "I hope their fate does not come to be yours. Can either of you work your magics to our aid?" Biggun says while continuing to examine the room.

Biggun is focusing on the walls of the pit, trying to see if there are any latches, levers, or promising crevices.

Perception:
[roll0]

Rizban
2018-07-23, 05:57 PM
●●●●●●DM

Roscoe can hear nothing from the party below.

He guesses that is likely how this trap would work, but he isn't entirely sure. Also, in the pitch blackness, he can't see clearly to determine much.

Biggun actually spots a ladder carved into the wall below the door the party entered through.

Lyndworm
2018-07-23, 06:32 PM
Biggun
Biggun gestures to the ladder before beginning to climb it himself. "This may be a way out, fellows."

WindStruck
2018-07-23, 07:01 PM
Gabbra tries to take some deep breaths and peers up at the portion of the ceiling the ladder ascended to, slowly walking towards it.

JudgeKludge
2018-07-23, 07:23 PM
Roscoe

Roscoes Quickly pushes the button on the wall while saying a prayer "The times are trying, and the waters are rising. Miss Fortune is here, please Lady Luck guide me" Roscoe looks to see if everyone is ok in the pit.

THEChanger
2018-07-23, 09:02 PM
Nicomede Gasparo Pia Bonaventura Speziale the Fourth, in a hole

Nico groaned as he stood up. "Friends, if I may, I'd like to propose a new rule for further exploration. All buttons are to be thoroughly examined before pushed." He brushes off his robes before moving to join the others at the ladder.

Perception check, especially taking care for further traps - [roll0]

Rizban
2018-07-24, 12:05 AM
●●●●●●DM

As Biggun climbs the ladder, Roscoe pushes the button!

The floor turns translucent once more, allowing Biggun to safely climb out. It remains that way as long as the button is depressed, allowing the party to climb up and out, if they so choose.

WindStruck
2018-07-24, 01:38 AM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

"Oh, thank the stars," Gabbra says, hurrying over to the ladder.

"Roscoe! Keep holding that button!" she calls, as she begins to climb the ladder.

Lyndworm
2018-07-24, 04:58 PM
Biggun

"Good job, Roscoe." Biggun says as he find his way up the ladder. He extends a hand to Gabbra, and then to Nicomede, as they climb up behind him.

"To avoid a repeat of that incident, would you please check the other doors, Nicomede?" The forged man offers his own inexpert eye, plodding first to the western door and then to the eastern door.

Perception 1: (Western Door)
[roll0]

Perception 2: (Eastern Door)
[roll1]

THEChanger
2018-07-24, 06:19 PM

"It would be my pleasure."

Nicomede approaches each door in turn, carefully examining them for traps.

Eastern Door Perception - [roll0]
Western Door Perception - [roll1]

Rizban
2018-07-24, 07:03 PM
●●●●●●DM

Confident that they have overcome the trap, the party becomes careless. As Nicomede crosses the room, he triggers the trap they all already know about.

The familiar runes appear once more, seeming to emanate from the skull in the middle of the room. The floor once again becomes translucent, but this time in only a 10 ft radius centered on the skull.

Nicomede, slightly more wary than before, notices the appearance of the runes and jumps backwards with preternaturally quick reflexes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?407802-AVB-DM-Rolls&p=23246626#post23246626), avoiding another tumble into the pit below. A few seconds pass, and the floor becomes solid once more.

http://www.mornproductions.com/gitp/labyrinthe/skull-pit.png

The trap triggers in only the colored squares. The button clears the entire floor.

Neither Biggun nor Nicomede discover any traps on either of the doors, though they do determine that the western door is securely locked.

Lyndworm
2018-07-24, 07:50 PM
Biggun

"Another close call..." says Biggun with a glance at the skull. "It is time for a group discussion, I think. Should we leave this door undisturbed?" he says with a gesture towards the locked western door. "Or should we attempt to pass it? My friend Roscoe may be able to bypass the lock if you cannot, Nicomede, and failing that... I'll make another way in."

WindStruck
2018-07-24, 09:02 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

Gabbra shrugs and says with a grin, "I could try to pick it too. Either way, don't matter to me tha' much so long as we don't keep settin' off traps an' killin' each other."

"Hm. I'm thinkin... We might want to mark the traps so other poor folks don't meet the same fate.. or I wonder, if we just destroy the skull, would that disable the trap?"

JudgeKludge
2018-07-25, 05:28 PM
Roscoe

"I'm not sure if cracking the skull would do anything but destroy us in a magical explosion, let me examine it for a moment." The small man says while trying to not trigger the trap a fourth time.
Arcane lore:
[roll0]

Rizban
2018-07-25, 09:35 PM
●●●●●●DM

Assuming Roscoe doesn't actually approach the skull, the trap does not trigger.

He can't determine anything meaningfully arcane about the skull. It appears to be just a skull, and there was no magic aura coming from the skull when detect magic was used earlier. (The detected aura was centered about 10 feet below the skull, if you'll recall.)

WindStruck
2018-07-25, 09:49 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

Gabbra skirts around the skull by the west side and approaches the western door. "Welp, may as well take a peek behind the locked door. But first.. can't be too careful..."

She takes a close look at the door and the edges of the wall immediately next to it, to see if she could see traps or odd features.

[roll0]

Rizban
2018-07-25, 11:28 PM
Gabbra detects no traps.

WindStruck
2018-07-26, 01:49 AM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

Gabbra shrugs and says, "Well I dun think there's anything on this door... anyone else wanta have a look?"

THEChanger
2018-07-26, 05:20 AM

"The button is the failsafe, not the trap. How interesting." Nicomede approaches the locked door to assist in its examination. "I believe marking the trap in some fashion may be wise, if only so we can continue to be aware of it on our return to this room. I could try to disable it, but magical traps may be somewhat beyond my skills. Beyond that, we could have use for an emergency pit in our explorations."

I don't know if my previous Perception rolls matter, as they were interrupted by a pit. If it's needed, here's another Perception - [roll0]

And if the door proves to be clear of traps, an Engineering check to pop that lock - [roll1]

Rizban
2018-07-29, 10:51 PM
●●●●●●DM

Nicomede discovers no traps and is easily able to unlock and open the door.

He also notes that the trap is clearly marked by the skull in the middle and less clearly marked by the charcoal arrow pointing to the button. Perhaps it's not a clear sign in glowing, orange paint, but it is "marked," likely by some team who passed this way previously.

The door opens onto a short hallway with another door, which is determined to be both trap-free and unlocked. The room beyond is 20 x 50 feet.

There is a huge iron cage in this room, but its gate has been ripped from its hinges and lies discarded on the floor. Several broken chains lie under the door. Near the cage lie two rotting corpses that look to possibly be hobgoblins. Another corpse lies a short distance away from the cage. It lacks a head. There are shallow gouges in the stonework in various places throughout the room, particularly near the door heading further west, which seem to have been made by the claws of some horrible beast.

There are doors north, west, and east (through which you entered).

WindStruck
2018-07-30, 04:35 AM
Gabbraa Helmsplitter

"We better keep our heads, or else wind up like this one..." Gabbra comments.

She peers around the room and at the mangled-open cage and bodies, saying, "Call me crazy, but I don't think we wanta go tha' way and see the beast that did this. Then again, someone else is liable to get killed by it if it's runnin' around. A whole bunch o' someone's. But I got the feeling we ain't gonna be the ones to stop it."

Lyndworm
2018-07-30, 11:45 AM
Biggun

Biggun picks up one of the segments of broken chain and says "It must have been some beast to do this." before trying to break it himself. "It is all only so much meat to me, but could one of you determine how long these bodies have been here?"

I assume that this calls for a Strength check.

Strength:
[roll0]

Dammit. Wasted my nat 20...

Rizban
2018-07-30, 11:50 AM
Biggun fails to break the chain, but he figures that if he were to pull hard enough, and could get proper leverage with a crowbar or something, he could probably break it. Maybe. On second thought, maybe not.

WindStruck
2018-07-30, 02:18 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

Gabbra kneels down next to one of the bodies and closely examines them, holding her nose...

Trying to determine how long the bodies were there, and other useful information.

Academics: [roll0]
Natural Lore: [roll1]

JudgeKludge
2018-07-30, 06:52 PM
Roscoe

"Gabbra, could I help at all?" Roscoe says as he crouches down next to the Dwarf. "Let's see here."

Heal:
[roll0]

Rizban
2018-07-30, 08:48 PM
Gabbra determines that the bodies have been there since they died. They don't appear to have moved since.
Roscoe determines that, yep, they're dead. They don't seem to be breathing, and the lack of a head on the one is a dead giveaway.

WindStruck
2018-07-30, 08:54 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

The dwarf throws her hands up in the air and says, "Welp, all I can tell you is they've been there since they died, which ain't no help. Hm, what about the cage?"

Gabbra steps into the cage and looks for any clues, as to what this beast might be.

Rizban
2018-07-30, 10:35 PM
Gabbra steps into the cage and looks for any clues, as to what this beast might be.Big.1234567890

WindStruck
2018-08-01, 03:09 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

Gabbra, after having come to no useful conclusions about anything, stands up and turns to the others and asks, "Well what will it be, gentlemen?"

Lyndworm
2018-08-01, 06:47 PM
Biggun

"My suggestion is to head North, away from whichever great beast killed these people." says Biggun with a glance towards the headless body.

JudgeKludge
2018-08-02, 06:04 PM
Roscoe

Onwards it is, my friends." says the minute monk, as he points his finger to the north.

Lyndworm
2018-08-02, 08:27 PM
Biggun

Biggun take's Roscoe's enthusiasm as an instruction, and quickly moves to the Northern door. As before, he knocks gently before attempting to find his way in.

If Biggun cannot find a knob or latch of some kind, he will allow Nicomede or Roscoe to attempt to disable it.

In the interest of saving us all some time, however, here's a check to break the door down if all else fails.

Strength Check:
[roll0]

Rizban
2018-08-02, 09:06 PM
●●●●●●DM

The party finds no traps on the door, but the door was locked, right up until Biggun tried to open it, snapping the lock.

The first thing the party sees on the other side of the door is the corpse of an adventurer on the floor directly in front of them. The body is riddled with arrows, and the trail of blood makes it appear that he dragged himself towards the door in an attempt to escape. Unfortunately for him, the door was locked.

The room is 20 x 45 feet.

Smashed stone sarcophagi line the sides the room, upright against the walls, so that the dead would have been buried in a standing position. All have been smashed open and thoroughly looted: Some are merely cracked and the lids torn off, others are smashed almost completely. A few fragments of bone and preserved flesh litter the floor, but apart from the dead adventurer, the room seems to have been picked clean.

There are doors north, east, west, and south (entered), each door in the exact middle of their walls.

WindStruck
2018-08-02, 09:32 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

Again, Gabbra kneels down to check the body, this time looking for more clues about his death.

First, no roll, but a question: do the arrows all seem to be focused on one area of the body (for instance, all of them are on his back as if he was shot from behind in the body) or are the arrows scattered all over?

Second question: where does it appear the trail of blood starts? Somewhere within this room, or perhaps entering from another door?

Heal: [roll0] Does it appear poison was used in the arrows?

Academics: [roll1]
Engineering: [roll2]
Perception: [roll3]

What can be said about the make and style of the arrows? Gabbra will even go so far as plucking one out to further study it. Any unusual markings, runes, etc on them?

THEChanger
2018-08-05, 07:51 PM

Nico steps gingerly over the corpse, and begins to search the hallway for traps. "I swear, if this turns out like the fifth hall of trials, what with the pressure plate and the arrows out of the walls, I am going to be sorely upset."

Perception for traps - [roll0]

Rizban
2018-08-07, 04:17 AM
●●●●●●DM

The adventurer has two broken arrow shafts protruding from his chest and five arrows sticking out of his back. The blood trail begins by the western door, but the drag marks don't appear until closer to the door through which the party entered. It appears that he walked, such that he could, at least partway through the room before collapsing and dragging himself forward.

Gabbra does not suspect poison.

The arrows are extremely crude, likely made from whatever could be scavenged within the dungeon.

WindStruck
2018-08-07, 04:24 AM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

Gabbra ponders the evidence and says, "Humm.. so he came from tha' western door. Defin'tley seems like he got shot up in there by... scavengers or monsters, by the looks of the arrows. An' at least they don't look poisoned. Room's probably safe..."

She merely shrugged, half expecting something else to give them a nasty surprise within the next minutes.

Lyndworm
2018-08-07, 09:21 PM
Biggun

"Shall we head East, then?" asks Biggun. "It seems as good a direction as any." The forged man moves to the door in the East wall and makes to open it.

WindStruck
2018-08-09, 09:17 PM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

Gabbra quickly stands and says, "Hold up, Biggun. In case you 'aven't noticed, there've been bloody corpses in every room. Slow down a bit and let us have a look before we go through a door."

Gabbra approaches the eastern door Biggun walked up to and quickly scans it for traps and other suspicious features.

Rizban
2018-08-10, 02:26 AM
Time has passed

http://www.mornproductions.com/gitp/Dice/d8.png
●●●●●●DM

The party spends some time examining the corpse and searching for traps. Though they find no traps, they do discover a pouch with [roll0] gold coins on the dead adventurer as well as a masterwork dagger.

Biggun opens the East door.

Beyond the door lies a chamber covered in poorly cured hides and illuminated by smoking torches in bronze sconces. The smell is indescribable.

The room is 20 x 20 feet.

A group of three hobgoblins busy processing the hides look up at your sudden intrusion. They leap to their feet and begin to scramble for weapons.

For combat, I resolve the entire turn at once. I give about 24 hours for each player to post and then resolve all actions in initiative order. There is no need to wait for "your turn" to post your actions for each round of combat.

Anyone who hasn't posted, I will usually assume either delays, takes a total defense action, or defends themselves against any creature that directly attacks them.

[roll1]
[roll4]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll3]
[roll5]
[roll8]
[roll2]

WindStruck
2018-08-10, 10:39 AM
Gabbra Helmsplitter

Hobgoblins!

Being a dwarf and the combative history of her clan, hobgoblins were up there on the long list of mortal foes, brutish savages with no honor that deserved no quarter. But like many things her clan tried to instill in her, Gabbra hardly paid them any heed. And yet, she had never actually seen one face to face, only having crude pictures to go off of. These guys seemed to be the real thing.

With her hand axe at the ready, she briefly considered that perhaps these humanoids were not looking for a fight. And that maybe her own companions weren't really either. She gives her other companions a quick look and holds her free hand out in a gesture to stop.

She says, <goblin> "We did not come here to kill you. Stand down, and we will close this door and walk away." Gabbra had mixed feelings about this. Although trying to sound confident, there were many reasons she lacked it. Not having spoken the goblin language much was just one of them.

persuasion: [roll0]

JudgeKludge
2018-08-10, 08:00 PM
Roscoe

As soon as he sees the hobgoblins, Roscoe touches his holy symbol and becomes invisible. He then moves to get a clear shot.

Roscoe readies an action to Flurry the two nearest to him if the hobgoblins don't seem friendly. He does speak goblin so, he shouldn't be confused about the conversation.

Invisible Fist Recharge:
[roll0] rounds

Flurry:
[roll1] for the first hobgoblin, including +1 from Precise Shot.

[roll2] the second attack, including +1 from Precise Shot.

Damage:
[roll3] for the first hobgoblin, including +1 from Precise Shot.

[roll4] the second attack, including +1 from Precise Shot.

Sneak Attack:
[roll5] for the first hobgoblin.

[roll6] the second attack.

Stealth:
[roll7]

Lyndworm
2018-08-10, 09:13 PM
Biggun

Being the first to react, Biggun finds himself looking from the hobgoblins to his group and back. The forged man readies his hammer as he steps into the room and waits to get the group's reaction to the situation before deciding on his own course.

Biggun does not speak goblin, and so is about to be quite confused at all this dialogue. He draws his hammer and moves a short distance into the room (just far enough to clear the doorway and put himself between the two groups) as a Move action. Biggun readies a Standard action to attack the first hobgoblin that enters his reach.

Attack:
[roll0] :smallsigh:

Damage:
[roll1]

THEChanger
2018-08-11, 08:34 AM

Nico swears under his breath as he sees the goblins. Pulling back behind Biggun, he mutters a prayer to the Gods of the Vault, as he searches his memories for anything useful he may have learned about hobgoblins.

Move Action to make sure Biggun is between Nico and the hobs.

Free Action - I can't imagine there's much in the way of combat useful dirt on hobgoblins, but as Humanoids that's...Academics?

[roll0]