PDA

View Full Version : Support/heal Class suggestion

Pjohnnyko
2018-07-17, 04:08 PM
So I am starting a brand new campaign with a party of 3 PC痴; of the other two, one is a veteran player playing a fighter and the other is a brand new player playing a rogue. For my own sanity and decent party role balance, I feel like I should/need to play a support class with probably some sort of healing capabilities. I was looking at Bard, Cleric and maybe Druid. We are starting at level 1, I知 sure multiclass will be an available option. What would be the most effective support class with some heals thrown in there as well? It doesn稚 have to be strictly those classes, any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks everyone =)

NecessaryWeevil
2018-07-17, 04:13 PM
Just for the sake of variety, you could also look at Divine Soul Sorceror, Celestial patron Warlock, and Paladin.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-07-17, 04:21 PM
Personally I like Celestial Warlock to start out and MCing into Divine Soul Sorcerer or Bard when you hit level 3 or 5 on Warlock.

This gives you decent combat ability, ranged bonus action heals, if you go later levels in warlock (10th) some awesome group wide Temp hp after every rest, some scouting potential, some advantage giving potential, and alot of flexibility.

Fighter and Rogue are more or less short resty classes. Warlock will match them in this regard and hold its own for the first several levels. AS far as races go, as long as you pick something with a + in Cha you should be good. Aasimar, Variant Human, All kinds of Half Elf, Tabaxi, Tiefling, Yuan-ti pureblood, Dragon born, all work really well.

I went with a Half-Elf (moon) with Mold Earth as my wizard cantrip, BB and EB as my Warlock cantrips, and Celestial Gives Sacred Flame and Light. Armor of Agathys and Hex are both great but i don't think hex should be your priority. AoA is great and Guiding Bolt is an amazing spell for your rogue and any hard enemy to kill.

CTurbo
2018-07-17, 04:30 PM
I'd go Cleric or Paladin all the way with that 3 man group

Cleric in particular would be a good compliment

My go-to Cleric recommendation is almost always Tempest because it's just awesome at everything. But it really depends on what kind of Fighter and Rogue those guys are building.

And for the record, you can build ANY kind of character you want, and it would work out just fine. Don't think you NEED to build a healer/support character.

MidgetMarine
2018-07-17, 04:33 PM
I'd recommend looking at Order Cleric for some cool healer/support options.

CTurbo
2018-07-17, 04:44 PM
Do you want to be the "face" of the group and be the main social dominate character?

If yes, Paladin, Warlock, Bard, or Sorcerer

If no, Cleric

unusualsuspect
2018-07-17, 05:19 PM
Druid dipping Life Cleric (and maybe Warlock) gets you Godberries, Healing Spirit, and things to do during combat that don't involve healing (Shillelagh, spells, wild shaping, etc.) so you aren't wasting your actions every turn.

Heals you can recover on a short rest are best, because that can become a part of the healing process that replaces using (non-replenishing on short rest) hit dice.

If you want to support in other tangible ways during combat, Paladin 6 or 7/Hexblade 3/Divine Soul Sorcerer 10 or 11 will be capable up close or at range (SAD Charisma and Eldritch Blast), have up to lvl 6 spells known and lvl 7 spell slots, lvl 2 short rest spell slots, at least one Aura that your party will love you for immensely (two of them if you're Ancients), and that wonderful synergy of on-hit Smiting damage and increased crit ranges.

Low levels are all about Paladin until you get your Auras, with a possible exception for Hexblade 1 (extra spell slots for smiting/healing, Charisma SAD, Hex, and Eldritch Blast are just barely enough to consider delaying the sweet, sweet Aura(s) at Paladin 6(/7).

For ease of play, Paladin 8/Hexblade 3/Sorc 9 or Paladin 6/Hexblade 4/Sorc 10 may be easier ASI-wise, so you can max Charisma and/or pick up your favorite Feat pairing early on. Lose out on some spells known, but generally low tier play will matter more.

SLOTHRPG95
2018-07-17, 05:36 PM
One or two levels of Life Cleric before going into Bard boots your healing capabilities long-term while still allowing you to eventually get access to Mass Heal and/or True Rez through magical secrets. Plus the heavy armor proficiency is nice for surviving (esp. compared to just light armor from Bard).

MagneticKitty
2018-07-17, 06:39 PM
Tranquility monk gets 10 hp per level with a lay on hands like ability.

Ranger 5 / cleric x would be good for extra attack good berry and healing spirit. Gloomstalker gives you darkvision if you need it. Dex build w/ rapier and shield. Longbow.

Fighter 3 / Forge cleric makes a tanky healer. Str build with heavy armor. Defensive fighting style.
18 plate + 2 shield +2 (lv 6 forge cleric) +1 defense fighting style
23 ac with good heals. Maybe with. Champion for fighter subclass staying relevent. Or eldritch knight for utility stuff like shield and find familiar

Pjohnnyko
2018-07-20, 11:01 PM
Thank you all! Lots of great suggestions =D I think I知 going to go with a Bard and may do a cleric dip for a level or two. We値l see how it plays out! I知 excited to play