PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Babysitter

Chalkarts
2018-07-17, 04:46 PM
Saw a hilarious idea on Twitter and wanted to actually make it but wanted advice.
The idea was that the Warlocks patron has a child that the Warlock has to babysit in order to keep their powers.
I have decided to make him Chain pact and make his familiar be the kid, maybe use Quasit stats?

Any suggestions on beefing up a familiar?

CTurbo
2018-07-17, 04:49 PM
lol sounds fun

Draconi Redfir
2018-07-17, 04:51 PM
at some point the warlock gives the baby a portion of his powers, effectively making the baby a warlock.

so The Baby gets some magic from the Warlock, who in turn gets some magic from *Insert powerful entity here*

A warlock-warlock

Malkavia
2018-07-17, 04:53 PM
I think an interesting question is why does the patron's baby listen to your orders, and not you listen to its orders? It might be fun to RP you being its servant instead of the other way around. Unfortunately, I have no advice to give for how to beef it up, but it is essentially immortal anyways since you can always just resummon it. Cool idea!

Chalkarts
2018-07-17, 04:57 PM
I think an interesting question is why does the patron's baby listen to your orders, and not you listen to its orders? It might be fun to RP you being its servant instead of the other way around. Cool idea!

That could be fun, I’d not thought of that lol

I’ve been wondering if it would be more fun to let the DM run the familiar as an unruly infant. Make it like trying to babysit JackJack from the incredibles.

Kane0
2018-07-17, 04:57 PM
Wait, that sounds familiar (http://i.imgur.com/uptND8O.gif).
Heh, familiar. That was unintentional, I swear.

Anyways, you would probably want to talk with your DM about giving your kid some sort of plot armor, unless you can just put them in 'timeout' like an actual familiar. I'd personally use Pixie or Sprite stats but Imp/Quasit is good too.

For beefing it up, how open is your DM to houserules/homebrew?

LichPlease
2018-07-17, 05:33 PM
My mind immediately went to the magikoopa, Kamek, from Yoshi's Story and your familiar could be Baby Bowser in the form of....a quasit? Your patron could be....future adult Bowser? But yeah...go fiend patron and see if your DM will let you cast your fire spells through the familar....if you even like this idea.

sophontteks
2018-07-17, 06:30 PM
yu yu hakusho anyone?

CTurbo
2018-07-17, 08:27 PM
The problem with being a Chainlock and having a "baby" as your familiar is your entire class feature would be nerfed pretty bad unless the baby could do everything your regular familiar would be able to do. I don't know how that would work considering your familiar is pretty much supposed to follow your every command to the best of it's abilities which is the total opposite of how a baby would be.

bc56
2018-07-17, 09:45 PM
The problem with being a Chainlock and having a "baby" as your familiar is your entire class feature would be nerfed pretty bad unless the baby could do everything your regular familiar would be able to do. I don't know how that would work considering your familiar is pretty much supposed to follow your every command to the best of it's abilities which is the total opposite of how a baby would be.

I think the idea is that it's a baby Cthulhu (or demon, whatever), so it's much more powerful than a regular baby. Having a regular baby as a familiar would be bad.

Chalkarts
2018-07-17, 11:41 PM
I think the idea is that it's a baby Cthulhu (or demon, whatever), so it's much more powerful than a regular baby. Having a regular baby as a familiar would be bad.

Yeah, the idea is that it’s the infant form of a demon or greater fey. The warlock is it’s caretaker/protector.

CTurbo
2018-07-18, 12:12 AM
Yeah, the idea is that it’s the infant form of a demon or greater fey. The warlock is it’s caretaker/protector.

and it's expect to listen to you and follow orders? lol

Seriously though I love the idea

Cerefel
2018-07-18, 12:36 AM
I think part of what makes chain pact so strong is that the familiar is easily replaceable. Don't underestimate the importance of giving that up

CTurbo
2018-07-18, 12:51 AM
On one hand, the Chainlock is EXTREMELY strong. Having a familiar as strong as an Imp is a very powerful thing. On the other hand, I think it can get a bit boring as it feels like it's lacking SOMETHING. I just think it needs more features to be "complete." Another cool specific invocation or two would probably do it. There is just no really great high level features.