PDA

View Full Version : Modified Grave Domain

WereRabbitz
2018-07-17, 10:48 PM
Wanting to play a Grave Cleric, but with a couple changes. Do these sound over powering too you?

Lose - Heavy Armor Prof
Gain - Spare the Dying when cast on a creature with 0hp restores them 1hp.

Change Divine Strike to Potent Spellcasting Version

What do you think? Anything game breaking there?

AttilatheYeon
2018-07-18, 12:32 AM
They already did most of this. Spare the dying is now a bonus action spell that works at 30ft no hp gain. Other than that it's grave domain as written.

WereRabbitz
2018-07-18, 07:06 AM
They already did most of this. Spare the dying is now a bonus action spell that works at 30ft no hp gain. Other than that it's grave domain as written.

I read the UA, but I want opinions on if the suggested modifications would be over powering... I consider Divine Strike & Potent Spellcasting basically swappable, but the +1 hp to spare the dying when the character is at 0hp might be tipping the scale a bit even with losing the heavy armor proficiency.

Daghoulish
2018-07-18, 07:21 AM
All the changes your talking about were made when the domain was released in Xanathar's Guide to Everything. The only thing changed was talked about by AttilatheYeon, where they made grave's spare the dying a bonus action ranged version of the cantrip.

sophontteks
2018-07-18, 07:28 AM
I read the UA, but I want opinions on if the suggested modifications would be over powering... I consider Divine Strike & Potent Spellcasting basically swappable, but the +1 hp to spare the dying when the character is at 0hp might be tipping the scale a bit even with losing the heavy armor proficiency.

Grave is no longer a UA. Its an official release. You are reading the old version. In the new version the one thing I'd recommend changing is allowing channel divinity to work through total cover. Because if something is within 60 feet and not behind total cover you'd see it. They overnerfed it IMO.

The official version gives you spare the undying for free and gives it a 30 foot range, freeing you up to take another cantrip and removing the need to buff it any further.

Heavy armor was already removed.

Potent spellcasting already added.

WereRabbitz
2018-07-18, 07:32 AM
All the changes your talking about were made when the domain was released in Xanathar's Guide to Everything. The only thing changed was talked about by AttilatheYeon, where they made grave's spare the dying a bonus action ranged version of the cantrip.

Thanks! That clarifies a lot actually. I was looking at the release pdf from a while back.

Vogie
2018-07-18, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I like the new Grave Cleric - Spare the dying keeps people alive long enough for you to wander over and tap them with a Maximized Cure Wounds. Because they can opt to use Spare the Dying as an action as well, you could also just do a ranged Spare the Dying as an Action, then a maximized Healing Word as a BA.

I do like that they took the attitude of "you don't need to heal unless someone is dead" that people have of 5e and baked it into a mechanic.

Sception
2018-07-18, 09:07 AM
If you're going to healing word in the same turn anyway, I'm not sure why you'd bother with spare the dying as an action? Unless you're talking about tagging multiple downed party members.

Vogie
2018-07-18, 09:13 AM
If you're going to healing word in the same turn anyway, I'm not sure why you'd bother with spare the dying as an action? Unless you're talking about tagging multiple downed party members.

I was saying it's useful that you can choose to use it as an action OR a bonus action, precisely for issues like that.