PDA

View Full Version : Help minmaxing some mounted enemies

Icewalker
2007-09-11, 12:50 AM
I'm trying to make the Viper Clan of goblins from the webcomic Goblins (www.goblinscomic.com), specifically the riders in this (http://goblinscomic.com/d/20061123.html) strip. However I don't think it'll be easy to make a few goblins into actual challenges for relatively high level adventurers, so how best to set them up to be a challenge?

I'm thinking feats up to spirited charge, then glaives, so they would deal (1d10+str) x2. I'd also say those are dire wolves they are riding...I'm guessing there are rules I don't know somewhere for mounts making attacks too? Or is it just normal attacks?

One other minor thing: Does anybody have a link to the stats and racials for goblins? I don't have any MM.

Then I plan on homebrewing that demonic creature the middle dude is riding.

kpenguin
2007-09-11, 01:04 AM
SRD Goblin Entry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/goblin.htm)

Anyway, given a goblin's strength penalty, I think you'd be better off making them mounted archers rather than lancers. Otherwise, try taking power attack and dual wield that glaive. That double damage doubles power attack damage as well.

Attilargh
2007-09-11, 02:12 AM
I'm fairly sure it's just a regular Howler (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/howler.htm).

Dausuul
2007-09-11, 08:02 AM
I'm trying to make the Viper Clan of goblins from the webcomic Goblins (www.goblinscomic.com), specifically the riders in this (http://goblinscomic.com/d/20061123.html) strip. However I don't think it'll be easy to make a few goblins into actual challenges for relatively high level adventurers, so how best to set them up to be a challenge?

I'm thinking feats up to spirited charge, then glaives, so they would deal (1d10+str) x2. I'd also say those are dire wolves they are riding...I'm guessing there are rules I don't know somewhere for mounts making attacks too? Or is it just normal attacks?

One other minor thing: Does anybody have a link to the stats and racials for goblins? I don't have any MM.

What level is "relatively" high level? Are we talking 4 here? 8? 12?

Person_Man
2007-09-11, 09:17 AM
Mix it up. Use some mounted goblins with lances (superior to glaives) and some with bows, nets, lassos, and tanglefoot bags. Use hit and run tactics. Should be a fun encounter. If the PCs mow through them quickly, just have reinforcements come out of the woods. If you're hurting them too badly (a crit with a lance is pretty deadly at any level), then shift to having more of the goblins try to capture them instead of kill them.

Icewalker
2007-09-11, 10:16 PM
Well, the reason for glaives over lances is that they are cooler (see link to picture).

Good catch on the howler, I didn't know that, and forgot the SRD had monsters :smallredface:

The -2 str is a bit of a problem. Power attack and holding the glaive 2h is definitely included. However, that is -2, and the goblin riders are the strongest of the clan, so they would still have 12-14 str (all my monsters have high stats)

When I'm saying mid level, I don't really care, but I'm thinking in the 8 range.

Dausuul
2007-09-12, 09:32 AM
Here's a thought. Have the goblin leader be a cleric with the Destruction domain. Smite ability + Spirited Charge + lance wielded in two hands + Power Attack = owwwie. Strength bonus? We don't need no stinkin' Strength bonus!

Dire wolves should make pretty solid mounts at that level.

TK-Squared
2007-09-12, 11:43 AM
Strength bonus? We don't need no stinkin' Strength bonus!

Yes, you do. Power Attack needs STR 13. :D

Icewalker
2007-09-13, 12:45 AM
Well, also from the story, we know the Viper Clan has an (awesome) high level cleric teller. He wasn't a rider though. The lead rider is some kind of total kickass goblin, who rides a howler, fights with a glaive, then close up with what looks like a form of scimitar and a howler quill.

Pestlepup
2007-09-13, 01:14 AM
Actually, they look like they're wielding naginatas... But that's likely besides the point. Not too many ideas on the optimization part, though. Above and beyond of giving them a buttload of character levels, that is. By the way, how does Skirmish interact with mounted combat? Just wondering...

Dausuul
2007-09-13, 08:04 AM
Yes, you do. Power Attack needs STR 13. :D

Oops. Heh. Forgot about that bit. Well, that's what gauntlets of ogre power are for.

tannish2
2007-09-13, 02:25 PM
well and then theres something to increase the speed of their mounts, because you can. and maybe even advance their mounts and make it a horrid (ebberon template) dire animal, or just feindish, DR is a good thing.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-13, 02:54 PM
You could give some of them a level or two of Wild Plains Outrider from CAdv. Hell, give them all three levels. It's a short PrC, and it'll significantly increase the staying power of your antagonists as well as their mounts.