PDA

View Full Version : Ruling regarding known spells and prepared spells on a multiclass user

Ogeeogelthorpe
2018-07-18, 03:15 PM
So I have a question regarding my character's multiclass build...

I have an Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger multiclass build. My phb +1 choice was Sword Coast. However, as a wizard I've been fortunate enough to learn several spells outside of the PHB due to purchasing spell scrolls at Fai Chen and from other wizard's at my table.

Arcane trickster spells are always considered to be prepared, and with few exceptions must be either enchantment or illusion.

So my question is this: If I have a wizard spell already learned and written in my spellbook from a source other than PHB or Sword Coast (Xanathar's) can I select from these enchantment or illusion spells as my always prepared arcane trickster spells? None are new spells to my book. I'm just wondering if I can have my shadowblade always prepared.

Grear Bylls
2018-07-18, 03:19 PM
So I have a question regarding my character's multiclass build...

I have an Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger multiclass build. My phb +1 choice was Sword Coast. However, as a wizard I've been fortunate enough to learn several spells outside of the PHB due to purchasing spell scrolls at Fai Chen and from other wizard's at my table.

Arcane trickster spells are always considered to be prepared, and with few exceptions must be either enchantment or illusion.

So my question is this: If I have a wizard spell already learned and written in my spellbook from a source other than PHB or Sword Coast (Xanathar's) can I select from these enchantment or illusion spells as my always prepared arcane trickster spells? None are new spells to my book. I'm just wondering if I can have my shadowblade always prepared.

Nope. You can only prepare arcane trickster spells. However, if you have a wizard spell prepared, it doesn't go away at the end of a rest unless you choose to reprepare spells

Ogeeogelthorpe
2018-07-18, 03:32 PM
Nope. You can only prepare arcane trickster spells. However, if you have a wizard spell prepared, it doesn't go away at the end of a rest unless you choose to reprepare spells

Arcane trickster spells are wizard spells. They just have to be enchantment or illusion spells. Shadowblade is an illusion spell that arcane trickster can select as one of their always-prepared spells.
My question was this: Am I stuck only selecting wizard enchant/illusion spells from PHB as my arcane trickster spells even if I have Xanathar's enchantment/illusion spells already in my wizard spellbook? Because arcane trickster's spells are memorized and considered always prepared.

SLOTHRPG95
2018-07-18, 08:38 PM
Arcane trickster spells are wizard spells. They just have to be enchantment or illusion spells. Shadowblade is an illusion spell that arcane trickster can select as one of their always-prepared spells.
My question was this: Am I stuck only selecting wizard enchant/illusion spells from PHB as my arcane trickster spells even if I have Xanathar's enchantment/illusion spells already in my wizard spellbook? Because arcane trickster's spells are memorized and considered always prepared.

Arcane trickster spells aren't wizard spells. I mean, yeah I know they are, in the sense that it's stated so in RAW in describing what spells you can pick to know. But for the purposes of always-prepared spells, they're their own thing and when you cast them you're technically casting them as an arcane trickster spell and not as a wizard spell. So for example if there were some class effect that only applied to spells you cast as a wizard spell, that effect wouldn't apply. So yeah, only PHB and SCAG for your arcane trickster spells would be my guess. Disclaimer: I neither DM nor play Adventure League. The answer I give is merely a logical extension of AL plus one rules as I've seen them written (i.e. I'm not quoting some official ruling for this or whatever).

Griswold
2018-07-18, 10:03 PM
When you learn spells by levelling up in any class, you always learn them from the PHB and your +1, in this case SCAG.

Wizards being able to copy additional spells into their spellbooks from scrolls and other wizards is an exception to the PHB+1 rule, in the same way that all magic items one finds on adventures aren't in the PHB or your +1.