PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Is it possable to play as Dread Blossom Swarm

Greenflame133
2018-07-18, 03:47 PM
After playing some Starebound as Florian and Wakfu as Sadida I wondered about playing a plant in D&D.
https://starbounder.org/mediawiki/images/thumb/d/d2/Floran-ExplorersGuide.png/250px-Floran-ExplorersGuide.pnghttps://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/krosmoz/images/6/68/Sadida_female_class_Dofus.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/360?cb=20140902000104
There don't seem to be many playable plant races. Awaken oak or Dark Tree should be fair simple to play, I found really awsome plant, a Dread Blossom.
https://a.wattpad.com/cover/44784832-352-k947409.jpg
Sadly there are few problem. For starters it's not plable race, like at all. Lucky there is conversion system so that can be solved

Fiorst round down abilty scores to even numbers.
Subtract 10 from new scores and that's mofiters race gets
AL = CR - RHD (minimum 0)

Secondary and more significantly lack inteligente score. For anime or tree there is awaken spell but that's not a tree. This is problem as any adjacency requiers inteligente, and collecting XP too.
Lastly there is whole deal with swarms being in fact a 1 000 (in case of tiny and flying) cratures. How would they handle iteam? As per 1 gigantic (total size of swarm) crature, 1 000 x more then 1 tiny crature or something else and can swarm holistically hold beinger items?

PS: are there any feats only srwarm can take?

Troacctid
2018-07-18, 04:00 PM
It's not suitable for player characters for multiple reasons. I think you've put your finger on a couple of them already. The problem isn't just "Can I?" Of course the DM can homebrew a level adjustment for them. The problem is "Should I?" Some monsters are unplayable for a reason. Mindless swarms don't lend themselves to good gameplay.

If you want to play a plant, I suggest checking out the Woodling template.

Greenflame133
2018-07-18, 05:14 PM
Asking that one odds to do is quite problematic as it inevitably resies a question of any higher meaning and possibly many other questions that philosophy been trying to answer for ages how. I do not know whether there it is a right course of action, however I do know that I want to. It’s no longer a simple matter of playing a plant. I have fallen in love with idea of thousand roses rising from a flowerbed and using their sharpen stalks to pierce skin of unexpecting victim. Yes Dread Blossom is a strange creature and to many it might seem forain but to me it’s incredibly appling. Mindless is problematic as it rid a charter of any adjacency, will or dier, leaving then no more than an object or a force of nature. Yet I don't lose hope as many thing can be awaken and within vastness of rules there might be a solution for me. Having seen a my share of exploids within the system. Immense mass of poisons rose with sharm stingers might be far for mondain but that’s why I turn to fantasy.

When it comes to woodling they are indeed a great template adding much need characteristic of plant to a character. They can make character feel like Sadia which i wanted to play in D&D as soon as I familiarized myself with an idea. I'm definitely going to attempt to play as one however, currently Dread Blossom got me capiated like few ideas go

thethird
2018-07-18, 06:09 PM
Have fun: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?259833-Gather-round-children-and-let-me-tell-you-a-story-about-the-forgoten-template

daremetoidareyo
2018-07-18, 10:24 PM
If you take the creature type trainer feat from the arms and equipment guide, and key it the plant type, You can use handle animal skill on yourself. If you have a psi-crystal, it can take the feat and use your skill ranks on handle animal to make you perform tricks that you are capable of doing. Weirdly, this puts your sentience in your psi-crystal, as it has to make checks using its ability scores to make you perform actions on your next turn.

While we are being really weird, if that's psi Crystal takes ranks in ride, it can guide your move actions and take the mounted combat feat to negate hits

sleepyphoenixx
2018-07-19, 12:23 AM
Druids can turn into a Dread Blossom Swarm at level 12 with City-Shape (CS WE) + Enhance Wild Shape.

Greenflame133
2018-07-19, 01:40 AM
Have fun: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?259833-Gather-round-children-and-let-me-tell-you-a-story-about-the-forgoten-template
I shall keep it in mind for one shots/arena games where this may fly. However even there DM aren't lily to allow it.

If you take the creature type trainer feat from the arms and equipment guide, and key it the plant type, You can use handle animal skill on yourself. If you have a psi-crystal, it can take the feat and use your skill ranks on handle animal to make you perform tricks that you are capable of doing. Weirdly, this puts your sentience in your psi-crystal, as it has to make checks using its ability scores to make you perform actions on your next turn.

While we are being really weird, if that's psi Crystal takes ranks in ride, it can guide your move actions and take the mounted combat feat to negate hits
There might be a problem as it take class lv to optain psi-crystal but mindless creatures generalz cannot optain class lvs.

Druids can turn into a Dread Blossom Swarm at level 12 with City-Shape (CS WE) + Enhance Wild Shape.
Sure this may happened few times but not really a central point of a character

Here is another idea, starting as symbiote and taking levels in psion or manifester and ones psicrystal is ready to handle and ride the Swarm of Dread Blossom. Dose it make any sens?

Anthrowhale
2018-07-19, 05:32 AM
I'd also recommend looking at the Volodni race which is only LA+2 compared to LA+3 for Woodling.

daremetoidareyo
2018-07-19, 06:57 AM
There might be a problem as it take class lv to optain psi-crystal but mindless creatures generalz cannot optain class lvs.

Hidden talent makes you a psionic critter, psicrystal affinity comes next. Put creature type trainer on the psi crystal and call it a day.

Efrate
2018-07-19, 08:20 AM
We talked about this recently in the la assignment thread. Savage species has the symbiotic template. Awaken the swarm, it is technically a plant, though it's many creatures, so you can argue the targetting, and latch onto something. Template is also only la plus 1.