PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Cleric Domain: Fearlessness and Invincibility

Foxydono
2018-07-18, 05:34 PM
I made a homebrew cleric domain and would like to know whether it would be within the power limits of 5e without breaking anything. Please rate it without multiclassing in mind. Also, I borrowed some of the ideas from the unofficial cleric domain from Mearls, so it's not completely original, although I did try to refluff it a little.

Domain of Fearlessness and Invincibility
A deadly combination: fearlessness and invincibility. Your power strikes fear in some and can inspire the hearts and souls of others. With your mere presence can compel people to fall in line and bend to your will. Clerics of the domain of Fearlessness and Invincibility bring the world to their knees and remind everyone that there is but one rule: Survival of the fittest. Everything they do, they do with a great display of might and courage, cause nothing can bring them down! They enjoy the thrill of battle, wouldn’t you if you were invincible?

Domain of Fearlessness and Invincibility Spells
1st Heroism, Hunters Mark
3rd Enlarge/Reduce, Suggestion
5th Haste, Fly
7th Freedom of Movement, Death Ward
9th Circle of Power, Hold Monster

Bonus Proficiency
Starting at first level, you gain proficiency with heavy armor and shields.

Deflection
When you select this domain at 1st level, you gain the ability to deflect damage that is dealt to you. As a reaction when a creature you can see within 30 feet of you inflicts damage, you force that creature to make a Wisdom save. On a failed saving throw, it takes psychic damage equal to the damage dealt. On a successful save, it takes half that damage. If the creature made multiple attacks, select one attack to determine the damage dealt. If the creature used one or more effects that damaged multiple targets, choose the damage taken by one of those targets from one of the effects. Once you use this feature, toy can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Channel Divinity: Lo and Behold my Power
Starting at 2nd level, you can use you Channel Divinity to display your awesomeness to break the opponent will. As a bonus action, every creature within 5 feet of you has disadvantage on all attack rolls made against you and you have advantage on attack rolls against them. This effects lasts until the start of your next turn. When you use Channel Divinity, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

You can;t scare me!
Starting at 6th level, your mere presence is enough to inspire others. When you complete a short or long rest, you and up to 12 allies of your choice become immune to being feared for one minute.

Powerful Strike
Starting at 8th level, once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 force damage. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

The Frightening Presence
Starting at 17th level, you become an avatar of the God on Fearlessness and Invincibility. Your enemies attack you with uncertainty as they are but puny creatures compared to you. As a reaction, you can impose a penalty on a creature’s attacks against you. This benefit lasts until the start of your next turn. The penalty equals your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).

MrStabby
2018-07-18, 06:37 PM
You probably want to put it here.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design

Smitthy
2018-07-18, 06:56 PM
Seems way to strong to me. I’d limit deflection to melee. I also don’t know how I feel about I recharging on short rest I would limit recharge to long rest but bump the uses up to #wisdom modifier. I think it would still be very strong at that level.

The fear immunity is also a little confusing\OP without a limit of some sort. Additionally, it is really stepping on the toes of a holy Paladin. If you want it to effect a significant amount of people, I would think the cleric should have advantage on saves against fear effects and be able to cleanse fear on up to #wisdom modifier allies in Line of sight as an action.

Aett_Thorn
2018-07-18, 07:25 PM
While yes, this probably belongs in the Homebrew subforum, I'd say that it feels a little scattered and not completely thought out. For instance:

1) Spell list - what do Hunter's Mark, Fly, Silence, and Hold Monster have to do with Bravery? (Going to call the domain that because it's just easier)

2) Proficiencies - All clerics have proficiency with Shields, so you probably don't need to add that

3) Deflection - You say that the cleric learns to reflect damage dealt to it, but the damage seems like it could come from anywhere. Also, reactions are taken when the damage occurs, you don't get to see what all of the attack and damage rolls are, then choose which one you'd reflect. Agree that it should probably be melee only, and Wis Mod/Long rest, and probably not psychic damage. It should be the same damage type as the original attack.

4) Lo and Behold - Using your action to grant disadvantage on attacks against you? Great! Your own attacks to have advantage? Ummm...but you just used your action, so doesn't seem like it would quite work too well. Basically it would only impact your Spiritual Weapon attack if you cast/use that.

5) I am invincible - This is basically permanent fear immunity for the party. It needs some sort of duration on it. The effect also really doesn't match the name.

6) Frightening Presence - seems pretty weak, since you need to be investing in a non-useful stat along your career just for the level 17 ability. At max, it'd be like a Shield spell but only affecting one enemy. For most clerics that don't invest in Cha, it's be even weaker than that.

I think that you've got some decent ideas here, but I'd try to figure out what you really want out of this. It seems like you're trying for a Mary Sue type character but realized that you were doing that and so held yourself back. But then you just ended up with a bunch of random stuff put together. I'd say go with a "Bravery" concept instead of "Fearlessness and Invincibility" concept, and see where that takes you.

CTurbo
2018-07-18, 07:51 PM
I made a homebrew cleric domain and would like to know whether it would be within the power limits of 5e without breaking anything. Please rate it without multiclassing in mind. Also, I borrowed some of the ideas from the unofficial cleric domain from Mearls, so it's not completely original, although I did try to refluff it a little.

Domain of Fearlessness and Invincibility
A deadly combination: fearlessness and invincibility. Your power strikes fear in some and can inspire the hearts and souls of others. With your mere presence can compel people to fall in line and bend to your will. Clerics of the domain of Fearlessness and Invincibility bring the world to their knees and remind everyone that there is but one rule: Survival of the fittest. Everything they do, they do with a great display of might and courage, cause nothing can bring them down! They enjoy the thrill of battle, wouldn’t you if you were invincible?

Domain of Fearlessness and Invincibility Spells
1st Heroism, Hunters Mark
3rd Enlarge/Reduce, Silence
5th Haste, Fly
7th Freedom of Movement, Death Ward
9th Circle of Power, Hold Monster

Bonus Proficiency
Starting at first level, you gain proficiency with heavy armor and shields.

Deflection
When you select this domain at 1st level, you gain the ability to deflect damage that is dealt to you. As a reaction when a creature you can see within 30 feet of you inflicts damage, you force that creature to make a Wisdom save. On a failed saving throw, it takes psychic damage equal to the damage dealt. On a successful save, it takes half that damage. If the creature made multiple attacks, select one attack to determine the damage dealt. If the creature used one or more effects that damaged multiple targets, choose the damage taken by one of those targets from one of the effects. Once you use this feature, toy can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Channel Divinity: Lo and Behold my Power
Starting at 2nd level, you can use you Channel Divinity to display your awesomeness to break the opponent will. As an action, every creature within 5 feet of you has disadvantage on all attack rolls made against you and you have advantage on attack rolls against them. This effects lasts until the start of your next turn. When you use Channel Divinity, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

I am invincible!
Starting at 6th level, your mere presence is enough to inspire others. When you complete a short or long rest, you and up to 12 allies of your choice become immune to being feared.

Powerful Strike
Starting at 8th level, once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 force damage. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

The Frightening Presence
Starting at 17th level, you become an avatar of the God on Fearlessness and Invincibility. Your enemies attack you with uncertainty as they are but puny creatures compared to you. As a reaction, you can impose a penalty on a creature’s attacks against you. This benefit lasts until the start of your next turn. The penalty equals your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).

Bonus Proficiencies, Clerics already get shields. I feel like this domain should get full Weapon proficiencies too.

I like Deflection. I would make it usable a number of times equal to your Wis mod per short rest.

Channel Divinity seems a little weak. I'd make it last 1 minute I think.

I Am Invincible is odd as it doesn't list a duration. May as well be permanent. Still doesn't seem very strong.

Powerful Strike is fine

Frightening Presence is pretty terrible considering you chose it to key off of Cha. I would remove the reaction, make it a static boost, and make it key off of Wis.

Foxydono
2018-07-18, 08:53 PM
You probably want to put it here.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design
No I do not. Sadly, in my experiences far less people view and comment on threads made in that part of the forum. Further, since I specifically want advice on the power level of this cleric domain regarding d&d 5e, I find the D&D 5e part of the forum more suitable to answer my question and to give feedback.

Foxydono
2018-07-18, 09:14 PM
Seems way to strong to me. I’d limit deflection to melee. I also don’t know how I feel about I recharging on short rest I would limit recharge to long rest but bump the uses up to #wisdom modifier. I think it would still be very strong at that level.

The fear immunity is also a little confusing\OP without a limit of some sort. Additionally, it is really stepping on the toes of a holy Paladin. If you want it to effect a significant amount of people, I would think the cleric should have advantage on saves against fear effects and be able to cleanse fear on up to #wisdom modifier allies in Line of sight as an action.
You find deflection too strong even though it is limited to one attack or person per short rest? Although you can probably do around 10-15 damage with it depending on whether the creature makes its saving throw, I'm not sure its better as blessing of the forge for example.

But perhaps I could make it melee or spell attack to avoid it being used on a breath weapon attack.

I will either put a limit of one minute on the fear immunity or make it a cleansing ability as you suggested. I am not quite sure which fits the concept better, I guess both could work. Thanks for the feedback.

ATHATH
2018-07-18, 09:18 PM
No I do not. Sadly, in my experiences far less people view and comment on threads made in that part of the forum. Further, since I specifically want advice on the power level of this cleric domain regarding d&d 5e, I find the D&D 5e part of the forum more suitable to answer my question and to give feedback.
So you're openly stating that you intentionally put this thread in the wrong subforum so that you'd get more traffic?

Daghoulish
2018-07-18, 09:23 PM
I feel like I am invincible! either needs a new name or a different effect. How about changing it to be the opposite of the grave domains channel divinity, where instead of cursing an enemy to be vulnerable to the next hit you inspire yourself or your allies with righteous fervor and they gain resistance to the next hit.

Foxydono
2018-07-18, 09:31 PM
While yes, this probably belongs in the Homebrew subforum, I'd say that it feels a little scattered and not completely thought out. For instance:

1) Spell list - what do Hunter's Mark, Fly, Silence, and Hold Monster have to do with Bravery? (Going to call the domain that because it's just easier)

2) Proficiencies - All clerics have proficiency with Shields, so you probably don't need to add that

3) Deflection - You say that the cleric learns to reflect damage dealt to it, but the damage seems like it could come from anywhere. Also, reactions are taken when the damage occurs, you don't get to see what all of the attack and damage rolls are, then choose which one you'd reflect. Agree that it should probably be melee only, and Wis Mod/Long rest, and probably not psychic damage. It should be the same damage type as the original attack.

4) Lo and Behold - Using your action to grant disadvantage on attacks against you? Great! Your own attacks to have advantage? Ummm...but you just used your action, so doesn't seem like it would quite work too well. Basically it would only impact your Spiritual Weapon attack if you cast/use that.

5) I am invincible - This is basically permanent fear immunity for the party. It needs some sort of duration on it. The effect also really doesn't match the name.

6) Frightening Presence - seems pretty weak, since you need to be investing in a non-useful stat along your career just for the level 17 ability. At max, it'd be like a Shield spell but only affecting one enemy. For most clerics that don't invest in Cha, it's be even weaker than that.

I think that you've got some decent ideas here, but I'd try to figure out what you really want out of this. It seems like you're trying for a Mary Sue type character but realized that you were doing that and so held yourself back. But then you just ended up with a bunch of random stuff put together. I'd say go with a "Bravery" concept instead of "Fearlessness and Invincibility" concept, and see where that takes you.
1. Well hunter mark is because the cleric finds the strongest opponent to fight to show everyone how strong he or she is. The 1v1 concept (probably tanking a boss) is also shown in the powerful strike and frightening presence. Hold monster is also justifiable in this sense. As in the opening sentence: "With your mere presence can compel people to fall in line and bend to your will."

Fly and silence are more out of place. Fly is mainly because it sucks not being able to fly towards your enemy. This would look rather silly. I can see this lvl 1 Aarakocra flying above this lvl 20 fighting cleric which is screaming: "I AM INVINCIBLE", while the Aarkakocra slingshots him to death. I could replace fly with something else though, like slow perhaps.

As for silence, I don't know. I thought about it, but I couldn't come up with a better spell. Suggestions are welcome though.

2. I'll go fix that.

3. What if I change it work against piercing, slashing or bludgeoning damage only, deflecting the same type of damage back. As for the reaction problem I'm not sure how to fix that. If you have to use it before you know whether the attack hits, it's a very risky ability.

4. Right you are, I could make it a bonus action. That would solve the main problem.

5. I am fearless! *fixed*

6. I could make it scale of something else, but Charisma seems like the best fit for what it does. Maybe Strength? Wisdom seems odd somehow looking at the ability.

Bravery eh? I will think about it and I'll have to go re-write stuff tomorrow. Thanks for all the useful feedback though. It helps a lot.

PhantomSoul
2018-07-18, 09:39 PM
[...] As in the opening sentence: "With your mere presence can compel people to fall in line and bend to your will."

[...]

As for silence, I don't know. I thought about it, but I couldn't come up with a better spell. Suggestions are welcome though.

Hihi

(Emphasis mine)

Foxydono
2018-07-18, 09:42 PM
Hihi

(Emphasis mine)

Very subtle, you must be some kind of sorcerer!

Smitthy
2018-07-18, 09:57 PM
You find deflection too strong even though it is limited to one attack or person per short rest? Although you can probably do around 10-15 damage with it depending on whether the creature makes its saving throw, I'm not sure its better as blessing of the forge for example.

But perhaps I could make it melee or spell attack to avoid it being used on a breath weapon attack.

I will either put a limit of one minute on the fear immunity or make it a cleansing ability as you suggested. I am not quite sure which fits the concept better, I guess both could work. Thanks for the feedback.

Breath weapons, finger of death, disintigration Ray, etc were exactly so I think you are right “on melee or spell attack” should work.

I like the idea of a cleanse because it sounds more cleric flavored to me (opinion). I also dislike preemptive actions because they always interact strangely in person. While temp immunity is great against frightful presence and other similar effects, the DM will never waste the action economy of a bad guy on a fear spell or similar non instant effect (personal gripe).