PDA

View Full Version : I Was Wrong! (again)

brian 333
2018-07-19, 11:04 AM
I had rejected the idea presented by others in this forum that the money given to Sigdi had been spent to raise five strangers. Boy, was I wrong!

By this time I should know better than to have an opinion on what The Giant will do next, but it's so fun I can't help myself. I'll do it again, and probably be wrong again.

Thanks to Mr. Burlew once again. Magnificent!

martianmister
2018-07-19, 01:22 PM
You were wrong? What a world, what a world!

2D8HP
2018-07-19, 01:25 PM
Eh, you get used to it.

And then you don't want to be right!

godsflunky
2018-07-19, 02:53 PM
From where I stand, not many people would launch a thread just to admit their error. My hat's off to you, brian 333.

Fyraltari
2018-07-19, 02:58 PM
I can't wait to be wrong again, personally, it makes the twists better.

brian 333
2018-07-19, 02:58 PM
From where I stand, not many people would launch a thread just to admit their error. My hat's off to you, brian 333.

Didn't want it to get lost in a pile of replies on another thread which has now been rendered moot.

Plus, you know, some folk may want a place to say, "Told ya so!"

137beth
2018-07-19, 03:10 PM

It's been done before on this very board: see Pendell's thread "Kish was right." (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?133353-Kish-was-right)

Still impressive and unusual.

Dutch
2018-07-19, 07:41 PM
I stopped guessing a long time ago. Now I am just enjoying the ride.

TheStranger
2018-07-19, 08:50 PM
Didn't want it to get lost in a pile of replies on another thread which has now been rendered moot.

Plus, you know, some folk may want a place to say, "Told ya so!"

Way to suck all the fun out of a good "told ya so" by being all grown-up and reasonable about it.

Seriously, making a thread for it is just above and beyond. Truly, you are an inspiration to all of us who dream of a world where people can disagree on the internet without being jerks about it.

brian 333
2018-07-19, 09:01 PM
Way to suck all the fun out of a good "told ya so" by being all grown-up and reasonable about it.

Seriously, making a thread for it is just above and beyond. Truly, you are an inspiration to all of us who dream of a world where people can disagree on the internet without being jerks about it.

A boss told me long ago that if I stopped bringing my feelings to work he couldn't hurt them. Still working on that.

WindStruck
2018-07-20, 03:00 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/2ed68w.jpg

Jannoire
2018-07-20, 06:39 AM
Seriously, if I started a thread everytime I was wrong, I'd get banned for spamming...

Still can't wait to be proven wrong by The Giant again,,,

Darth Tom
2018-07-20, 07:17 AM
A boss told me long ago that if I stopped bringing my feelings to work he couldn't hurt them. Still working on that.

But if he weren't being a [censored], you wouldn't need to worry about bringing your feelings to work. The burden of not hurting should be largely on the part of those who choose to inflict pain, not the recipient!

This is a big challenge I'm dealing with in my day job as an independent business advisor, to try to show owners and managers that the current trend for "employee resilience" exists because workplaces are being made unnecessarily stressful and toxic.

martianmister
2018-07-21, 03:38 AM
But if he weren't being a [censored], you wouldn't need to worry about bringing your feelings to work. The burden of not hurting should be largely on the part of those who choose to inflict pain, not the recipient!

In Brian 333's worldview, everyone complain about the unjustice done to them is a crying little baby and they should just man-up and be cool about it, instead of criticizing these unjust things and people.

brian 333
2018-07-21, 09:15 AM
In Brian 333's worldview, everyone complain about the unjustice done to them is a crying little baby and they should just man-up and be cool about it, instead of criticizing these unjust things and people.

This is a rather extreme ad hominem attack based upon a very narrow extrapolation of my posts. Here's a hint: if you find that I've posted an extreme PoV, you've actually misread what I wrote.

In the boss example it actually was not a case of an abusive boss, but a case of a boss doing his job by examining my work and telling me what I had to correct. I was a fireball back in the day, and it took me many years to learn the difference between criticism and critique.

So, the difference is not that I was complaining of injustice, but that I was conflating a boss' job of quality control with personal attack. It was my error, not his, and he was absolutely right to tell me to toughen up.

martianmister
2018-07-21, 04:59 PM
Really? :smallannoyed:

...if they offend you you might consider this old saying:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me."

Once upon a time it was a common saying. Back then we had far fewer insults. The message is clear, though:

"Words can hurt you only if you choose to let them!"

You are not a helpless victim at the mercy of verbal tormentors who must be curbed by social pressure. You are an active agent capable of removing the stings of your enemy by a simple shift in attitude.

And what was that "shift of attitude" you were speaking of?

Hate speech is noise. I have endured it at a level none of the social justice warriors of today have ever dreamed. Back in my day, getting upset over hate speech could land you in jail.

I have been spit at and had objects hurled at me because of my skin color. I have had friends jailed because they reacted to insults. I have been denied employment and promotions because everyone knows people like me can't be electricians.

No, I know nothing of hate speech.

Except that it hurts a lot less than a bottle hurled from a crowd of screaming cowards.

Grow a thick skin. Words can only hurt you if you let them. More importantly, otherwise innocent words, or words uttered in ignorance, can be construed to be insults and can then hurt you if you go seeking them out. And once you begin to look for the hidden insults you find them everywhere: especially in the words of someone who challenges your beliefs.

brian 333
2018-07-21, 08:31 PM
And of course the only way to read that is from the most extreme PoV.

The choice is simple: let it slide or let the annoying people control you. I choose to not be a puppet manipulated by people who know the right words to pull my strings. That's what those cited paragraphs mean.

Very often you can disarm the haters simply by not reacting to their hate.

Which is a completely different issue than a boss assigning a task then checking to insure it was done properly.

137beth
2018-07-21, 11:48 PM
Well, that derailed quickly.

PopeLinus1
2018-07-22, 12:42 AM

Meh. I've Seen Quicker

Lacuna Caster
2018-07-22, 06:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr7-3Q3nmSs

martianmister
2018-07-22, 12:56 PM
And of course the only way to read that is from the most extreme PoV.

The choice is simple: let it slide or let the annoying people control you. I choose to not be a puppet manipulated by people who know the right words to pull my strings. That's what those cited paragraphs mean.

Very often you can disarm the haters simply by not reacting to their hate.

There is a middle path between overreacting by being violent and being submissive to their injustice. You're talking about extremes in a negative tone, but what you doing is just showing the problem in two extreme situations and force us to choose one.

2D8HP
2018-07-22, 01:24 PM

I suppose, but not satisfyingly so.

No Lovecraftian Cat gods.

No melange of the Underdark and Mad Max.

No poems ending in "Also, I hate sports"

Nothing about The Lord of the Rings.

Jedi ethics? No mention.

Not even a three page detour on details of medieval carpentry!

So what about the influence of Armando (Ricardo Montalbán) on Caesar (Roddy McDowall) in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes?

brian 333
2018-07-22, 01:55 PM

Jedi ethics? No mention.

So what about the influence of Armando (Ricardo Montalbán) on Caesar (Roddy McDowall) in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes?

Cat-thulu really deserves her own thread because the spice served in Outback Steak House turned her eyes blue in the heat of the post-apocalyptic Australian desert.

There was an electrician of sorts,
Who went around checking out shorts.
Until he met Jane,
Who caused him great pain,
So he said, "I also hate sports."

Which is an example of a poem never seen in Lord of the Rings, which served as the foundation of the very derivative ethical code of the Jedi. The same thing is seen in Planet Of The Apes when Ricardo Montalban teaches a chimpanzee how to be suave while conquering the world.

That better? No? You can find my three page discussion of medieval carpentry on the thread titled, Ballistae, Catapults, and Trebuchets: A GuideTto Building Medieval Engines Of Distruction.

The question which occurs to me is, how many times have I been wrong when projecting what is to come on OotS? As I recall, my very first post on this forum involved a bad guess as to the identity of Haley's Dad, back when she was polishing her gold and reading Miron's note. Since then I'm clocking in a perfect record.

2D8HP
2018-07-22, 02:08 PM
That better?

Yes.

Yes it was.

Jannoire
2018-07-22, 03:18 PM
The question which occurs to me is, how many times have I been wrong when projecting what is to come on OotS? As I recall, my very first post on this forum involved a bad guess as to the identity of Haley's Dad, back when she was polishing her gold and reading Miron's note. Since then I'm clocking in a perfect record.

Just out of curiosity... What was your guess regarding Haley's Dad.

2D8HP
2018-07-22, 03:38 PM
Just out of curiosity... What was your guess regarding Haley's Dad.

Are you just testing his memory?

Okay, now all the pieces are coming together.

Haley's dad is the guy in the prison who was freed by Roy. (Not the peg-leg guy.)

Haley's dad is also Orrin Draketooth, and her mother was Penelope.

I originally thought the freed gladiators were running back to the arena where they would be 'safe', but now I'm thinking they are headed to Girard's Gate at maximum movement for unencumbered humans.

Crusher
2018-07-22, 05:31 PM

Jedi ethics? No mention.

To be fair, the medieval carpentry one was (iirc), 1) Quite a bit longer than 3 pages, and 2) Could at least have been argued to still be on-topic.

SaintRidley
2018-07-26, 07:26 PM
It's been done before on this very board: see Pendell's thread "Kish was right." (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?133353-Kish-was-right)

Saying "Kish was right" is, in my experience, like saying rocks are made of matter.

Goblin_Priest
2018-07-26, 07:42 PM
Want my plot twist prediction?

Next strip moves back to other characters! Ha! Xykon, maybe. O'Chul?

Emanick
2018-07-26, 09:38 PM
Want my plot twist prediction?

Next strip moves back to other characters! Ha! Xykon, maybe. O'Chul?

As much as I love O-Chul, I will get the screaming heejeebees if your prediction proves accurate.

Kish
2018-07-26, 09:47 PM
Ten gold says there will be no cutting away until the Order is no longer in immediate danger.

2D8HP
2018-07-26, 11:41 PM
Saying "Kish was right" is, in my experience, like saying rocks are made of matter.

Really?

Let's see what The Giant has posted about Kish"s comments:

Kish wins

This.

Yes, exactly

This.

Kish correctly ninja'd me.

[spoiler=Start of Darkness]
This

Eh, lucky coincidences.

martianmister
2018-07-27, 06:45 AM
Ten gold says there will be no cutting away until the Order is no longer in immediate danger.

Twenty gold says you're wrong about everything.

brian 333
2018-07-27, 11:22 AM
As of 1130 I must confess to being wrong yet again. And loving it.

Belkar's cat can activate his brooch, Belkar woke undominated, and it's looking like Durkula is having a change of heart.

I think The Giant is reading my posts anc writing the story to contradict them!

dps
2018-07-27, 04:52 PM
Cat-thulu really deserves her own thread because the spice served in Outback Steak House turned her eyes blue in the heat of the post-apocalyptic Australian desert.

There was an electrician of sorts,
Who went around checking out shorts.
Until he met Jane,
Who caused him great pain,
So he said, "I also hate sports."

Which is an example of a poem never seen in Lord of the Rings, which served as the foundation of the very derivative ethical code of the Jedi. The same thing is seen in Planet Of The Apes when Ricardo Montalban teaches a chimpanzee how to be suave while conquering the world.

That better? No? You can find my three page discussion of medieval carpentry on the thread titled, Ballistae, Catapults, and Trebuchets: A GuideTto Building Medieval Engines Of Distruction.

On another forum I frequent (where real-world politics and such isn't off-limits) it would have been an American Civil War hijack.

2D8HP
2018-07-27, 05:46 PM

Cindy/Ponchula has been decapitated, Greg/Durkula now has Durkon's personality, and the other Dwarf vampire ran away.

I'd think the Order was out of danger.....

.....except maybe for Hilgya?

Kish
2018-07-27, 07:06 PM
Strip 1130 was definitely not a cutaway, in any event.

TheStranger
2018-07-27, 07:47 PM
Welp, rather than start my own thread, I'll make this the general "I was wrong" thread. I didn't think the memory was leading up to anything like this. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but that's not the point. I was wrong.

martianmister
2018-07-27, 08:36 PM
I was right about HPoH's turning into Durkon. :smallyuk:

137beth
2018-07-28, 10:04 AM
Really?

Let's see what The Giant has posted about Kish"s comments:

But there was one time (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?293540-No-love-for-Neutral-alignments-in-OOTS&p=15667937&viewfull=1#post15667937) when Kish was WRONG! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?293540-No-love-for-Neutral-alignments-in-OOTS&p=15668041&viewfull=1#post15668041) Clearly that invalidates everything Kish has ever said!

martianmister
2018-07-28, 11:29 AM
Not to mention this time. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10572711&postcount=128)

Kish
2018-07-28, 11:51 AM
I was also critically wrong about Greg. So, I think my accuracy quotient is somewhat overstated here. Can't think of any bets I've lost yet, though.

martianmister
2018-07-28, 12:16 PM
I was also critically wrong about Greg.

About what?

137beth
2018-07-29, 10:06 AM
About what?

I don't have a link, but IIRC Kish thought that Durkon was actually the one controlling Vampire Durkon prior to strip 946. That's what I thought, and I was also wrong about that.

brian 333
2018-07-31, 02:32 PM
Perhaps I should have waited a bit before posting this thread because as of 1131 I am again proven wrong. I did not believe Durkula would even momentarily turn good. The best I hoped for was a distraction at a critical moment, not an outright defection to the other team.

Now I am certain The Giant is writing this comic by reading what I post then not doing that!