PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid help

Belzyk
2018-07-19, 01:39 PM
So I am about to introduce a weakened version if Warhammer 40k tyranid into my dnd game. In my world there is a fortress that sits in a space that is a tear between the abyss and the material plane. And the Tyranids have stung fourth from outside if reality at the very bottom of the abyss and have eaten their way through the abyss. Any tips on good base monsters to use to build off of?

Edit. Also what would be a good type for yhem? Aberration outsider or what?

Nifft
2018-07-19, 01:52 PM
BoVD has things called Kythons which are Aberrations.

There's a thread with some discussion of them and comparison to Tyranids over here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?154971-Kython-Campaign-3-5

That thread also has pictures, which might sell the things.

SangoProduction
2018-07-19, 01:53 PM
So I am about to introduce a weakened version if Warhammer 40k tyranid into my dnd game. In my world there is a fortress that sits in a space that is a tear between the abyss and the material plane. And the Tyranids have stung fourth from outside if reality at the very bottom of the abyss and have eaten their way through the abyss. Any tips on good base monsters to use to build off of?

Edit. Also what would be a good type for yhem? Aberration outsider or what?

They would be outsider if their body and spirit are one, save if they are outsider(native)...which actually kinda fits for how little information we've got of your tyranids. They are ultimately cosmic beings of adaptation, but those that have been adapted for the plane are outsider(native), and much like the abyss they come from, they reform in their home plane when destroyed. And they are native to their own plane as well.

Another option if to add the (Tyranid) subtype and just use any other monster you'd normally use, and give it a small refluff to say how it's a breed of Tyranid that's like this other thing in the world, because it stole the genes or some nonsense. If you really want to give them mechanical differences, toss on an Advanced template and be done with it.

Belzyk
2018-07-19, 02:03 PM
They would be outsider if their body and spirit are one, save if they are outsider(native)...which actually kinda fits for how little information we've got of your tyranids. They are ultimately cosmic beings of adaptation, but those that have been adapted for the plane are outsider(native), and much like the abyss they come from, they reform in their home plane when destroyed. And they are native to their own plane as well.

Another option if to add the (Tyranid) subtype and just use any other monster you'd normally use, and give it a small refluff to say how it's a breed of Tyranid that's like this other thing in the world, because it stole the genes or some nonsense. If you really want to give them mechanical differences, toss on an Advanced template and be done with it.

Thanks. Umm well I never thought about their soul. They are not actually from the abyss. From what I remember of the abyss the very bottom drains into some cosmic ocean or some such that is unknown. I'm having them invading from that point.

Also they are just going to destroy and assimilate all they can into their gene pools. Just like how they work in Warhammer 40k

AnimeTheCat
2018-07-19, 02:09 PM
I would suggest a combination of the Half-Farspawned and Insectoid (Insectile?) templates from Lords of Madness and Savage Species, respectively. Then, pick a base animal, vermin, or other creature depending on the breed of tyranid and apply the templates. If it's an intelligent creature with an int of 3+, it gets some pretty nifty abilities from Half-Farspawned, and Inctoid/Insectile gives them the creepy praying mantis, bug critter, weird hard outer shell thing that most Tyranids have going for them.

I think aberration is the best type for them, personally, as when they die, they're dead, but there are just tons of them (aren't Tyranids from Warhammer 40K the basis of Zerg from Starcraft?).

Belzyk
2018-07-19, 02:14 PM
I would suggest a combination of the Half-Farspawned and Insectoid (Insectile?) templates from Lords of Madness and Savage Species, respectively. Then, pick a base animal, vermin, or other creature depending on the breed of tyranid and apply the templates. If it's an intelligent creature with an int of 3+, it gets some pretty nifty abilities from Half-Farspawned, and Inctoid/Insectile gives them the creepy praying mantis, bug critter, weird hard outer shell thing that most Tyranids have going for them.

I think aberration is the best type for them, personally, as when they die, they're dead, but there are just tons of them (aren't Tyranids from Warhammer 40K the basis of Zerg from Starcraft?).

Yes they are. The zerg are based on the Tyranids. But unlike the zerg they work slower. Where zerg transform in seconds it may take Tyranids a week or 2.

Florian
2018-07-19, 02:25 PM
So many questions....

Why the Abyss? Tyranids are a hive-mind and an extremely ordered conglomerate of species...
Why outsiders in the first place? Tyranids basically exemplify the strength of the true world over the warp...

Belzyk
2018-07-19, 02:40 PM
So many questions....

Why the Abyss? Tyranids are a hive-mind and an extremely ordered conglomerate of species...
Why outsiders in the first place? Tyranids basically exemplify the strength of the true world over the warp...

Because they are not of my games reality or universe. The abyss is the only place I know of that has a spot that is of unknown origin. I'm just unsure of how else to introduce them.

Also I'm making them aberrations

Nifft
2018-07-19, 02:53 PM
Because they are not of my games reality or universe. The abyss is the only place I know of that has a spot that is of unknown origin. I'm just unsure of how else to introduce them.

Also I'm making them aberrations

The Abyss is a great idea because it's such a huge & awful place that there are likely an infinite number of terrible species that nobody has ever seen.

So one more horror crawling up and eating a bunch of well-known demons isn't particularly remarkable. In some lore, the current batch of demons did basically the same thing to the previous generation.

Also, since Outsiders are basically materialized souls, the Tyrranids are clearly able to assimilate souls in addition to DNA. This has fun implications for infested shadows & ghosts.

Andor13
2018-07-19, 04:13 PM
Kruthiks would make a pretty good base, I think.

Calthropstu
2018-07-19, 10:55 PM
Pathfinder has just such monsters. They are called Qlippoths. They are from the deeper levels of the abyss and are the original inhabitants. They war with the Demons and have been driven ever deeper. They have settled on a plan of wiping out all mortal worlds so that there is no corrupt mortal souls to fuel the demonic armies.