PDA

View Full Version : idea for encounter needed

Alveanerle
2007-09-11, 08:34 AM
I need an idea for some encounter appropriate my party who's currently on their way back from the trip down below Waterdeep severs.
The party levels are 8 8 7 7 7 7, so the CR should not be higher that say 12-13. The party is composed of warblade, wizard, cleric, rogue/swashbuckler, sharpshooter/cleric, warlock. They were recently exposed to some high SR encounters, so now's the time for some caster love (preferably something with obscene DR/- and no SR or SR below 25. immunity to critical hits as a big plus).
In my FR the sewers under WD

Any ideas for something thematicaly appropriate to not kill more than 1-3 of them at once?

daggaz
2007-09-11, 09:44 AM
A pack of undead trolls who somehow regenerate due to a nearby hidden source of negative energy.

Dizlag
2007-09-11, 09:52 AM
A pack of wererats ... because every DM should at least try to turn a party member into a lycanthrope. Hehehe

Toss a bunch of advanced dire rats at them as well. It might be a good time to create a recurring BBEG as well. If the leader of the wererats escapes, or heck if even one of them does. You can have him come back later with more to hunt down the party.

Wererats are CR 2, but toss about 4-8 character levels on them and see what happens. It could be a nice encounter that opens up a side plot for you.

Good luck!

Dizlag

AKA_Bait
2007-09-11, 10:50 AM
An adult black dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm#blackDragon) seems reasonable. CR 11. DR 5/magic and SR 18. Living in a sewer is plenty reasonable with their corrupt water ability.

Plus killing dragons is fun.

goat
2007-09-11, 10:59 AM
If you've got it available, a cluster of Cesspit Oozes from Cityscape.

Machete
2007-09-11, 11:06 AM
Have a Night Hag try and keep them from finding her lair. Maybe not an all out brawl but more of a gentle guiding away from said magic item filled lair via minions and poorly constructed traps.

I'm not very good at this.

Idea Man
2007-09-27, 06:08 PM
Well, at first glance, a beholder is in just the right place. If it uses its anti-magic eye, the other eye rays are useless. If it uses its small eyes, the spellcasters get a worthy target to pummel. :smallbiggrin: It can fly away from ground-bound warriors, so throw in something fun for them (charmed minions). But...multiple instant death for the party is a dangerously high possibility, especially if it wins initiative.

Although it's worth it to see a party run away, just once in a while, and nothing inspires fear more than this critter

I vote kobolds. Yup, kobolds. Two 9th lvl kobold sorcerers and 8 5th lvl kobold warriors (not fighters, milk the NPC classes where you can!) should be a CR 12 encounter. It's a little complex, but the warriors are just to engage the fighter-types, so you can concentrate on playing with the sorcerers. :smallamused:

Also you could make the sorcerers 3rd level warriors/8th level sorcerers. More HPs, BAB, better saves, and not a higher CR. Cheezy? Bah! :smalltongue: