PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Monters for Cold Environments

RaynorReynolds
2018-07-19, 04:26 PM
Hello! The title says it all. I am looking for help picking some monsters for a cold environment. Ideas so far are yetis, hags, Remorazes, white dragon. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Desteplo
2018-07-19, 04:30 PM
Ice elemental sin the form of goblins (I’m sure ice mephits would work)

Reflavoring creatures into the ice element works just the same.

Reflavoring trolls.

MrStabby
2018-07-19, 05:20 PM
What level are we talking about? How keen for refluffing? How specific to cold environments do they have to be?

For example a lich might be a great addition to a campaign in the frozen wastes, replace some spells as needed. On the other hand it might be not specific enough to cold climes (although I am now itching to create some kind of "ice tomb" adventure.)

Werewolves could work, ice devils, giants, most undead (ice mummies?), any kind of animated object/golem type thing.

Kane0
2018-07-19, 05:42 PM
Hello! The title says it all. I am looking for help picking some monsters for a cold environment. Ideas so far are yetis, hags, Remorazes, white dragon. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Remorhaz and dragon would be top of the food chain, Yeti, winter wolves and bears fit well enough below that. You will probably want some frosty versions of humanoids, ogres, trolls, etc as well. Try to avoid reptilians if you want to keep it 'realistic' and opt for furred things like giant weasels, elk, mammoth to be preyed upon. Mix in the occasional ice mephit, fey creature and other oddity to spice things up. A frost variant of a purple worm would also be a neat roaming threat that stays away from the dragon in the area, or maybe an Ice Devil or Abishai on the prowl for victims.

Unoriginal
2018-07-19, 06:16 PM
Both the DMG and the Xanathar's have lists about monsters you can find in cold environments, if it helps.