PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next An'Solei Vixayne (Homebrew Race)

KittenMagician
2018-07-19, 08:05 PM
I created a custom race just because. I like using my imagination. I showed this to my DM already and he said he thought it was pretty balanced but i want to hear some more opinions

An'Solei Vixayne
There is a being of such immense power that destroying the world in a blink is but child's play for her. She is known throughout many lands and her name is Vix. Although her power is immeasurable, Vix delights in interactions with mortal beings. She has a fondness for gifts of trinkets, weapons, lands, magical items, knowledge loyalty, and fealty, among many more, almost anything of value or uniqueness piques her interest. Wishing to gain more, she created a race of beautiful all female creatures named An'Solei Vixayne, more commonly referred to as just Vixayne.

Created with Purpose
Each Vixayne was created by Vix with a purpose. Many are sent into the world for a variety of reasons. Some are sent out to map and explore the world. Some are sent to major cities in which they interact with the common populace or even the aristocracy to learn about the people and their ways. Some still are sent to find items of power or worth. Some are sent to bestow gifts or blessings upon those who have pleased Vix and others are sent to punish those who have displeased her. No matter what their purpose is they eventually return to their creator to present the results of their quests.
A Vixayne's appearance often depicts their purpose. A Grudgedealer, one sent to punish those that displease Vix, is strong, musclar, and tall; while a Wayfinder, one sent to explore, is thin and lithe. Vixayne range from about 5 feet tall to 6 and a half feet tall and anywhere from 110 pounds to 250 pounds depending on their build. All in all, the Vixayne come in a variety of forms with two things in common: skin and hair as white as a sheet of paper and horns.

A Lifetime Quest
Vixayne age slowly. They never leave their home until they reach maturity. This takes a long time. They spend much of their childhoods learning and training to better fulfill their purpose. Vixayne often live to be about 1000 years old. Due to this longevity, it seems strange that they form such incredible bonds with the shorter lived races. Each Vixayne often learns many crafts and skills over the years, becoming masters in all of them.

Presenting Results
After sometime adventuring, could be a few days or many years, all Vixayne eventually return to Vix to present their results. Vix resides in a large pyramid like structure, the Temple of Rak'Augh. It is a small city unto itself where there is room for Vixayne to live while they are there and vast guest chambers. Deep in the bowels of the temple await huge troves of treasure, filled with gifts presented to Vix. Vixayne spend much of their lives out in the world only to return home on rare occassions.

Ready and Willing
Born with an innate drive to fulfill Vix's wishes, Vixayne are often eager to be out and about. They often don't sit still for too long and become restless quickly. Due to this need and drive, they will often join others in an effort to complete their duty. They enlist in armies and fight wars on others' behalfs. They join crews on ships and venture forth on the high seas. They join adventurers and delve deep into dungeons and the wild places. Most other races don't know how to interact with the Vixayne at first but quickly enough they learn that the Vixayne are quite easy to get along with. They adapt quickly and once they trust and form bonds, a Vixayne is fiercely loyal.

Vixayne Names
All Vixayne are given Vix as the first part of there name but for one of them to be called this, even by a close friend, is gravely disrespectful and could lead to a lifetime of hostility. The next part of their name depicts their rank within Vixayne society, represented with a vowel and apostrophe. In order of lowest to highest they are: i', a', o', u', and e', with a select few gaining higher statusthan that adding a v for a ve'. The last part of there name is their “duty” given to them by Vix upon their birth. Example are, Wayfinder, Giftseeker, Grudgedealer, and many more.
Vixayne names: Vix a'Tali Solen Var'Na Giftseeker, Vix ve'Sondi Caulu Du'Don Grudgedealer, Vix u'Nehsa Wyen Kanna Boonbestower, Vix o'Maque Fahun Kan'Ra Wayfinder

Vixayne Traits
Vixayne have several things in common with each other.
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 2.
Age. Vixayne start their quest when the reach adulthood at at the age of 200 years old. They commonly live to be 1000.
Alignment. In general Vixayne are good and more than likely will follow the local laws, but they will do just about anything in completing their duty for Vix.
Size. Vixayne range from about 5 feet tall to 6 and a half feet tall and anywhere from 110 pounds to 250 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Driven. Your need to show Vix good results makes you restless. You gain all the benefits of a long rest in half the time (4 hours.)
Treasure Hunters. You have proficiency in the Investigate skill and have advantage on all Intelligence (Investigate) rolls when determining the value of an item.
Amiable. Whenever a party member other than you rolls one or more hitdice during a short rest they may add 2 to the result.
Languages. You speak read and write common and one other language of your choice.
Subrace. Vix created all Vixayne with a purpose. Your purpose dictates your subrace and abilities along with the last part of your name. Their are five main purposes for the Vixayne: Wayfinder, Giftseeker, Boonbestower, Grudgedealer, and Truthprocurer.

Wayfinder
As a Wayfinder your purpose is to explore the farthest reaches of the world and record your findings. You seek undiscovered places, recover lost legends, and learn local myths.
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score is increased by 1.
Map the World. You have proficiency in cartographer's tools and your choice of vehicles (land) or vehicles (sea).In addition you never forget somewhere you have been before.
Observant. Your passive Wisdom (Perception) score increases by 2.
World Traveler. You can speak read and write another language of your choice. In addition you have proficiency in the Athletics skill.

Giftseeker
As a Giftseeker your purpose is to find items or people, fealty mostly, of value to present to Vix as a gift.
Ability Score Increase. Your dexterity score increases by 1.
What is it? Whenever you roll an Intelligence (Arcana) check to determine the properties of a magical item you are considered proficient in the Arcana skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.
Deep Delver. Spending long amounts of time in dark and foreboding places, you are considered to have superb vision. You can see in dim light within 40 feet of you as though it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Unnatural Attunement. You can attune one more magical item than normal for a total of 4.

Boonbestower
Boonbestowers are sent into the world to grant gifts to those who have pleased Vix. This takes many forms, from a kind word or letter, to a trinket or even the services of the Boonbestower.
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score or your Charisma score increases by 1, your choice.
The Gift to Give. You have the blessing of Vix. You have proficiency in the Medicine skill.
Administrator of Vix. Whenever you roll a Wisdom (Medicine) check to stabilize a creature, on a roll of 19 or 20, you restore that creature to consciousness with 1 hit point.
Calming Presence. As a bonus action you may make a Wisdom (Medicine) check with a DC of 15 on a stunned or frightened creature with in 5 feet of you. If you succeed the creature is no longer stunned or frightened. You may only end one such effect per use of this trait. You can not use this ability again until you finish a long rest.

Grudgedealer
Grudgedealers are sent to punish those who have slighted Vix in some fashion.
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score is increased by 1.
Singular Purpose. You have advantage on saving throws against spells and abilities that frighten or charm you.
Punish the Profane. As a bonus action you may declare a creature you can see within 60 feet of you as an enemy of Vix. For 1 minute you have advantage on attack rolls against that creature and you gain a bonus to damage rolls against that creature equal to your level x 2 as additional psychic damage. You can't use this ability again until you finish a long rest.
Threatening Presence. You are proficient in the Intimidation skill.

Truthprocurer
Truthprocurers seek knowledge and understanding. They live among other races and learn more about the society in which they live.
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
The Gift of Gab. You are proficient in your choice of the Persuasion skill or the Deception skill.
Well learned. You may chose a level 1 spell from any spell list and you may cast it once per long rest using this trait. Intellect is you spell casting ability for this spell. When you level up you may replace this spell with another spell.
The Truth Behind the Words. You have advantage on Wisdom (Insight) rolls for determining the intentions of another creature.

khadgar567
2018-07-20, 04:58 AM
you know i dig the name of your race has nice ring to it. and sorry i am not expert on 5e so cant offer you review.

KittenMagician
2018-07-20, 08:02 AM
you know i dig the name of your race has nice ring to it. and sorry i am not expert on 5e so cant offer you review.

Thank you. I was actually trying really hard to make them realistic with culture.

JNAProductions
2018-07-20, 11:06 AM
Punish The Profane is too good as a racial.

Otherwise... No complaints, looks good.

KittenMagician
2018-07-20, 01:17 PM
Punish The Profane is too good as a racial.

Otherwise... No complaints, looks good.

do you think 1x player lvl as additional damage would be better?

JNAProductions
2018-07-20, 01:20 PM
do you think 1x player lvl as additional damage would be better?

Yes... But the bigger issue is advantage. I'd remove the advantage and make it just extra damage equal to level.

KittenMagician
2018-07-20, 01:41 PM
Yes... But the bigger issue is advantage. I'd remove the advantage and make it just extra damage equal to level.

i asked my DM about it again and he agrees with you. he also said instead of advantage do a +1to hit that increases at certain lvls. and drop the damage to player lvl

KittenMagician
2018-07-20, 06:38 PM

what do you think of this instead

Punish the Profane. As a bonus action you may declare a creature you can see within 60 feet of you as an enemy of Vix. For 1 minute you get +1 on attack rolls against that creature and you gain a bonus to non magical damage rolls against that creature equal to your level as additional psychic damage. You can't use this ability again until you finish a long rest. The +1 increases to +2 at 5th level, +3 at 11th level and +4 at 17th level.

Twizzly513
2018-07-22, 07:36 PM
what do you think of this instead

Punish the Profane. As a bonus action you may declare a creature you can see within 60 feet of you as an enemy of Vix. For 1 minute you get +1 on attack rolls against that creature and you gain a bonus to non magical damage rolls against that creature equal to your level as additional psychic damage. You can't use this ability again until you finish a long rest. The +1 increases to +2 at 5th level, +3 at 11th level and +4 at 17th level.

The above ability looks good to me. To improve wording (I'm nitpicky with this kind of thing), I would change "non magical damage rolls" to "weapon damage rolls" since that seems like it was your idea behind it. This does apply to unarmed strikes as well, which are technically simple melee weapons in 5e, in addition to improvised weapons. There could be something I'm missing for why you phrased it the way, but I believe I'm thinking of everything? Mechanics-wise, I like the feature. Speaking of which...

I like the overall race a lot! The mechanics are good, and the fluff is interesting, direct, and easy to see in roleplay. That said, I see two flaws.

1) The Driven feature is cool. However, its use is effectively negated by the need for a character to get 8 hours of sleep. I suggest adding in a short clause saying something along the lines of "Additionally, you gain the benefits of 8 hours sleep from 4 hours sleep," or potentially even give the Vixayne a reskinned Trance from an elf. Better to be explicit about the abilities early than imply an ability and have an unhappy player later on, whether it's you or somebody else.

2) Barely a flaw, really, but the Wayfinder's Observant feature. There's a feat called Observant, and having two things in the game called the same thing is generally frowned upon because if somebody says "My character has Observant," then one should be able to immediately tell exactly what feature it is. thesaurus.com and I suggest your choice of any of the following as a replacement: Attentive, Discerning, Mindful, Perceptive, and Vigilant.

Again, marvelous race! Best of luck using this in a campaign!

KittenMagician
2018-07-24, 05:01 PM
The above ability looks good to me. To improve wording (I'm nitpicky with this kind of thing), I would change "non magical damage rolls" to "weapon damage rolls" since that seems like it was your idea behind it. This does apply to unarmed strikes as well, which are technically simple melee weapons in 5e, in addition to improvised weapons. There could be something I'm missing for why you phrased it the way, but I believe I'm thinking of everything? Mechanics-wise, I like the feature. Speaking of which...

I like the overall race a lot! The mechanics are good, and the fluff is interesting, direct, and easy to see in roleplay. That said, I see two flaws.

1) The Driven feature is cool. However, its use is effectively negated by the need for a character to get 8 hours of sleep. I suggest adding in a short clause saying something along the lines of "Additionally, you gain the benefits of 8 hours sleep from 4 hours sleep," or potentially even give the Vixayne a reskinned Trance from an elf. Better to be explicit about the abilities early than imply an ability and have an unhappy player later on, whether it's you or somebody else.

2) Barely a flaw, really, but the Wayfinder's Observant feature. There's a feat called Observant, and having two things in the game called the same thing is generally frowned upon because if somebody says "My character has Observant," then one should be able to immediately tell exactly what feature it is. thesaurus.com and I suggest your choice of any of the following as a replacement: Attentive, Discerning, Mindful, Perceptive, and Vigilant.

Again, marvelous race! Best of luck using this in a campaign!

I understand what you mean by wording and how it matters. I actually play a lot off MTG and wording is really important there. when i made this race I forgot about the Observant feat and I have kept that in mind for reworking the race. Thanks for your input. I think I will expand more on the lore side of the Vixayne. I am also working on some subclasses to better fit the Vixayne, primarily palladin, as none of the Oaths really seem to capture what I feel they would do/swear to do. I have looked at the UA Oaths and even they don't seem quite right. Some other subclasses I'm working on are for mage and cleric.