PDA

View Full Version : Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Callos_DeTerran
2018-07-19, 08:48 PM
So there's not a whole lot of info about this movie going on just yet but there's supposed to be a trailer this weekend and the last Godzilla movie, despite some flaws, is one of my favorite movies to just curl up in front of when I'm in the movie mood.

So I figured why not start up a thread and see who else is excited for the movie? :smallbiggrin:

Right now we only have a single screenshot of Godzilla breathing fire into the heavens, a MONARCH website that will gradually reveal some/all of the cast of monsters, and...that's it I think?

And on said website we have three monsters officially confirmed as well as some of their size measurements!

Who's a shoe-in then? Why...Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah of course! Thing is...there's quite a few more monsters laid out on the website...

Legato Endless
2018-07-19, 11:13 PM
I'm excited.

Rodan's evidently getting a power boost for this film, bringing him back to his Showa era quasi-parity to Godzilla. Fitting as this looks like something of a remake of Ghidorah, the three headed monster.

Also, the second film of the Anime trilogy just released to Netflix, I'll probably be checking that out this weekend. Really hoping it's better than the first installment.

LaZodiac
2018-07-19, 11:28 PM
Her, pretty sure Rodan's a girl.

But yes. Give give give give! Give me the KING.

Callos_DeTerran
2018-07-19, 11:47 PM
I'm excited.

Rodan's evidently getting a power boost for this film, bringing him back to his Showa era quasi-parity to Godzilla. Fitting as this looks like something of a remake of Ghidorah, the three headed monster.

Also, the second film of the Anime trilogy just released to Netflix, I'll probably be checking that out this weekend. Really hoping it's better than the first installment.

From everything I've heard, this second movie is meant to be a remake of the Destroy All Monsters movie I believe!

...I didn't even finish the first anime movie on Netflix honestly, it just started so bad..

Her, pretty sure Rodan's a girl.

But yes. Give give give give! Give me the KING.

We'll have to wait and see what Rodan is in this movie, huh?

And I am legit really excited to see how they design King Ghidorah in the new movie's style. Like..I can kind of picture Rodan and Mothra in my mind because they wouldn't be super hard to do but Ghidorah? To keep the sheer menace that the character is supposed to represent? Man, I really want to know what they're going to do with 'Monster Zero'.

Or did you mean Godzilla by the king?

LaZodiac
2018-07-19, 11:55 PM
I meant Godzilla with that specific line but you are 100% correct in that yes, after watching Godzilla (Legendary Pictures) and Skull Island, I REALLY want to see what Ghidorah looks like. He will be horrifying. I fully expect Ghidorah to start with some generic fire breath, but mid way through the film he'll charge up and start with a theremin sourced warblewarblewarbling, a horrifying cacopheny that embodies the same feeling as the original movies but with a modern twist, and the fire breath will sparkle and crackling and it will just unleash hell on earth. And it will be glorious.

gomipile
2018-07-20, 04:37 AM

It's better than the first one. Mostly because some of the glaring flaws of the first one are downplayed or absent. It's still not great, but I enjoyed it.

Also, it subverted my expectation that something I would have been annoyed by would happen. So, watching it didn't annoy me in the way I was expecting it to, so that's good, lol.

I liked the animation better in this one, overall, as well. I'm not sure if it was better or I just got more used to it, or both.

Spacewolf
2018-07-20, 07:27 PM
It's better than the first one. Mostly because some of the glaring flaws of the first one are downplayed or absent. It's still not great, but I enjoyed it.

Also, it subverted my expectation that something I would have been annoyed by would happen. So, watching it didn't annoy me in the way I was expecting it to, so that's good, lol.

I liked the animation better in this one, overall, as well. I'm not sure if it was better or I just got more used to it, or both.

I really hope it is better than the first film which was honestly difficult to watch. The main character especially was just unbearably self righteous and stupid.

Callos_DeTerran
2018-07-20, 09:09 PM
I meant Godzilla with that specific line but you are 100% correct in that yes, after watching Godzilla (Legendary Pictures) and Skull Island, I REALLY want to see what Ghidorah looks like. He will be horrifying. I fully expect Ghidorah to start with some generic fire breath, but mid way through the film he'll charge up and start with a theremin sourced warblewarblewarbling, a horrifying cacopheny that embodies the same feeling as the original movies but with a modern twist, and the fire breath will sparkle and crackling and it will just unleash hell on earth. And it will be glorious.

I am all aboard for most of this, but Ghidorah has to have his bio-electric lightning breath!

Though, and I really hope we get to see it, they've mentioned that Ghidorah will be simply massive and flapping his wings will be enough to stir up windstorm...and combining that with his bio-electric abilities creates cataclysmic storms that make Ghidorah a living extinction event.

SQQUUUUEEEEEE, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!

Especially after the atomic firebreath decapitation from the last movie?!

My only worry is that they've switched directors for this movie...

LaZodiac
2018-07-20, 09:12 PM
I am all aboard for most of this, but Ghidorah has to have his bio-electric lightning breath!

Though, and I really hope we get to see it, they've mentioned that Ghidorah will be simply massive and flapping his wings will be enough to stir up windstorm...and combining that with his bio-electric abilities creates cataclysmic storms that make Ghidorah a living extinction event.

SQQUUUUEEEEEE, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!

Especially after the atomic firebreath decapitation from the last movie?!

My only worry is that they've switched directors for this movie...

The cave paintings in Skull Island show fire. However, I'll explain more clearly what I mean. He STARTS with fire, like how Godzilla in the new Japanese version did. But then once he starts taking it seriously, he'll start charging up with the Iconic Sound Effect, and it'll crackle and spark, and flame will turn to plasma as torrents of lightning bolts blast out of his many maws. But since the build up will be intense, the impact will be just as impact. It'll be as quick and brutal as actual lightning bolts.

Metahuman1
2018-07-20, 10:37 PM
So, if I didn't bother to watch the 1st Netflixs Godzilla Flick, am I going to just be lost about what's happening in the 2nd one?

Also, is there any nudity/sex related content in the 2nd one? I need to know because if there is I can't watch it on a slow night at work.

LaZodiac: I dunno, I kind of like the idea that he just comes in and is able to throw down. It's Ghidorah, he doesn't NEED to build up, he just wrecks out the starting gate.

Also, I'm kinda rooting for Mothra to finally get her due and be the kind of unrelenting badass who can truly go toe-to-toe with any of the major monsters. Come on, it's not the 60's anymore, you've got the special effects and the budget. Go for it!

Also, hoping they can get a bit more monster screen time. And that the new director doesn't decide to do something utterly moronic with it. (Which is increasingly what I expect from Hollywood now days.).

Spacewolf
2018-07-20, 11:28 PM
So, if I didn't bother to watch the 1st Netflixs Godzilla Flick, am I going to just be lost about what's happening in the 2nd one?

Also, is there any nudity/sex related content in the 2nd one? I need to know because if there is I can't watch it on a slow night at work.

Yes you will be massively lost, the second one is slightly better and I'd say actually be worth a watch. So watch both if you feel like it I guess, just be prepared to be rolling your eyes every few seconds during the first and every few mins in the second.

No there's no nudity or sex in either that I can remember.

Large Spoilers for Episode two for those who want to chat about it since this place is as good as any.

Like I said above this episode is abit better than the first thanks to more focus on the actually likeable characters, the space dwarfs (I don't remember the name but the logical species.). It's a shame the humans all turn out to be cowards and hypocrites. How many people died in the first film? More than 50% of the population of the ship right? Then they freak out at people willing giving their lives to save them? Then to make it even better the space elves basically say the dwarfs aren't even living beings because they dare to have a different set of morals (The dwarves do have there own weird moment earlier on when they say the bug people aren't humanoid, somehow ignoring the definition of that word.) when it gets to the end and the stupid human accuses the dwarfs of throwing away their humanity I was waiting for them to point out they weren't human, were fighting to help the humans, had had pretty much caused the extinction of their species to help the humans so go and do what you lead thousands of people to their death to do and kill godzilla.

Now admittedly the Dwarves were obviously heading towards a grey goo scenario but the random hate towards them started even before that. I also couldn't help but notice that something that doesn't hurt humans, generates a breathable atmosphere, reproduces on it's own, can control weather and can be used to create powerful weapons would basically solve all the colony ships issues if they used to to say terraform mars. All without them needing to advance the AI to the point it raises the risk of a grey goo scenario.

The post credits scene was so obvious I was saying who it was going to be all throughout the earlier scene, but I am looking forward to king ghidorah showing up and killing everyone expect the protag and his new girlfriend. (I would prefer he gets knocked off as well but that's to unlikely, as long as the space elves get it I'll be fairly happy though. I am guessing their god thing ends up being a part of Ghidorah as well so not sure who will get them.)

Callos_DeTerran
2018-07-21, 12:20 PM
Yes you will be massively lost, the second one is slightly better and I'd say actually be worth a watch. So watch both if you feel like it I guess, just be prepared to be rolling your eyes every few seconds during the first and every few mins in the second.

No there's no nudity or sex in either that I can remember.

Large Spoilers for Episode two for those who want to chat about it since this place is as good as any.

Like I said above this episode is abit better than the first thanks to more focus on the actually likeable characters, the space dwarfs (I don't remember the name but the logical species.). It's a shame the humans all turn out to be cowards and hypocrites. How many people died in the first film? More than 50% of the population of the ship right? Then they freak out at people willing giving their lives to save them? Then to make it even better the space elves basically say the dwarfs aren't even living beings because they dare to have a different set of morals (The dwarves do have there own weird moment earlier on when they say the bug people aren't humanoid, somehow ignoring the definition of that word.) when it gets to the end and the stupid human accuses the dwarfs of throwing away their humanity I was waiting for them to point out they weren't human, were fighting to help the humans, had had pretty much caused the extinction of their species to help the humans so go and do what you lead thousands of people to their death to do and kill godzilla.

Now admittedly the Dwarves were obviously heading towards a grey goo scenario but the random hate towards them started even before that. I also couldn't help but notice that something that doesn't hurt humans, generates a breathable atmosphere, reproduces on it's own, can control weather and can be used to create powerful weapons would basically solve all the colony ships issues if they used to to say terraform mars. All without them needing to advance the AI to the point it raises the risk of a grey goo scenario.

The post credits scene was so obvious I was saying who it was going to be all throughout the earlier scene, but I am looking forward to king ghidorah showing up and killing everyone expect the protag and his new girlfriend. (I would prefer he gets knocked off as well but that's to unlikely, as long as the space elves get it I'll be fairly happy though. I am guessing their god thing ends up being a part of Ghidorah as well so not sure who will get them.)

Having just kind of watched it, I kept dozing off from how comfy this couch is, the human defendant's god is very clearly Mothra with all the talk about an egg, the twins, and the symbol behind them on the wall...unless by space elves you mean Metphsis? In which case...maybe Ghidorah, but I doubt it. That less a Ghidorah thing and more a...Gigan thing or, if they go hat route, a whomever sent Ghidorah thing

All said and done though...I actually don't blame the humans in this. Once I heard livong nanitw metal, all sorts of alarm bells started going off in my head and the two advocating its use were really really keen on basically just letting Mechagodzilla run amok and automating everything so it was all under its control.

That said, it wasn't a bad watch. I wish I hadn't kept dozing off because I feel like I missed a lot of important context so I'll probably watch it again later. Was better than the first part which wasn't terrible but was really...dry and by the numbers. I did dig the scene when the nanites began to take over, really nightmarish.

Spacewolf
2018-07-21, 01:12 PM
Having just kind of watched it, I kept dozing off from how comfy this couch is, the human defendant's god is very clearly Mothra with all the talk about an egg, the twins, and the symbol behind them on the wall...unless by space elves you mean Metphsis? In which case...maybe Ghidorah, but I doubt it. That less a Ghidorah thing and more a...Gigan thing or, if they go hat route, a whomever sent Ghidorah thing

All said and done though...I actually don't blame the humans in this. Once I heard livong nanitw metal, all sorts of alarm bells started going off in my head and the two advocating its use were really really keen on basically just letting Mechagodzilla run amok and automating everything so it was all under its control.

That said, it wasn't a bad watch. I wish I hadn't kept dozing off because I feel like I missed a lot of important context so I'll probably watch it again later. Was better than the first part which wasn't terrible but was really...dry and by the numbers. I did dig the scene when the nanites began to take over, really nightmarish.

There's a credits scene where the Metphsis guy says it's Ghidorah, it's just the earlier scene they did except you get to hear what he says this time. The human survivors where the ones I called the bug people since they have bug DNA and worship a bug.

Yea while it's obvious to an outside observer that it's going to be a grey goo scenario at the point the humans start screaming that the Space Dwarves are evil is when all they've done is sacrifice afew people to increase the chance of success of the mission that will ensure the survival of their own and the humans entire species. Something the entire MCs battle plan is built around again considering they've gone from thousands of people to about 8 at this point from the original invasion. Which makes his reaction at that point just stupid.

Another interesting thing was that Mechgodzilla never actually does anything against the rules it's assigned which does mean it would consume the whole planet to cleanse the Godzilla particles so I do wonder if co-existence would have been possible I mean the world is already covered in metal so covering it with a different kind that could purify both the air and the soil would be better? Kind of goes against the environmental message of the story though I guess.

The reason I disliked the first so much was like you said most of the film was very dry which can be ok so long as the characters are likeable or atleast interesting but I had zero investment in the characters and actively disliked some mainly the MC and whatever the main Metphsis guys called. (Although I'm not sure if we are supposed to dislike the Metphsis or not yet because on one hand they're space elves who so far have done nothing wrong that I can think of and are basically perfect. Then on the other hand they are clearly evil who may well be leading humans to deliberately wrong choices to cause their extinction. So maybe that's intentional?

LaZodiac
2018-07-21, 02:20 PM
Trailer for King of the Monsters is here!

https://youtu.be/wVDtmouV9kM

Things it makes explicitly clear: movie is beautiful, everyone's a good guy except Ghidorah.

Callos_DeTerran
2018-07-21, 02:36 PM
AAAGFGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHSPPPRABBBBRBLLLLLLLEEEGNJJF

The trailer has dropped! Go watch it!

So we get spook many lovely scenes of destruction. Mothra (or Ghidorah) annihilating a town just by flying over it, Rodan being chased by fighter jets, the cataclysmic storms I was hoping for, more interesting human characters than Ford including Charles Dance(!?), and good shots of the three main monsters.

Mothra seems amazing and almost like a spiritual experience to see (very fitting).

Rodan..he(she?) was the hardest to see but I can't say I'm the biggest fan right off the bat, but I'm willing to give it a shot!

Godzilla is new Godzilla, massive, imposing, and just him being around is awe inspiring.

And we only get two brief glimpses of Ghidorah, neither of which give a clean view which I'm perfectly fine with! Save the big reveal and all.

That said I find it interesting that humanity is seeking out the Titans to save the world, that's an interesting wrinkle for sure. Gaahahahaaa so excited!

Spacewolf
2018-07-21, 02:55 PM
Trailer Spoilers
Honestly it sounds like the red head woman (who seems to be one of the PoV characters) is planning on killing humanity due to her belief that humanity is going to otherwise turn earth into an inhospitable wasteland. Looks like the monsters do a pretty good job as well. I think Rohdan was the one who caused the shockwave just from flying over the city considering we later see him do the same thing again.

It could actually be an interesting angle if they do it right or monumentally stupid if they do it wrong. Either way wouldn't necessarily be bad either considering its a monster movie. If the they do it interestingly then I wouldn't mind spending some time with the humans if they just go for stupid then they just need to focus on the monsters. They just need to avoid the dullness of the last films MC. I'd like to see anguirus as well considering he doesn't show up in the trailer although he doesn't have to much going for him compared to the three that are confirmed to be in.

Bhu
2018-07-21, 07:01 PM
I must see this!

Metahuman1
2018-07-22, 08:30 AM
Trailer for King of the Monsters is here!

https://youtu.be/wVDtmouV9kM

Things it makes explicitly clear: movie is beautiful, everyone's a good guy except Ghidorah.

Maybe I'm weird, but I do sort of like Godzilla as a great big protector. Yes, I know, I know, Atom Bomb metaphor and a powerful one.

But Nuclear Power is a BIG thing in the world now, and we are going to have to live with it, and hey, were 70+ years and counting out from the last time a Nuke got used as a weapon against anyone, and all the benefits to science and human advancement in general are looking more and more to be moving things toward outweighing the other side, heavily weighted as it is.

He doens't have to do it because he knows Humanity needs protection or anything. He can just be asserting his dominance over a perceived invader or defending his turf. That's fine, that works. He's not actively against humanity, there too small and insignificant and powerless in his mind to bother about. He just to happens to have a beef with the thing that wants to wipe us out.

LaZodiac
2018-07-22, 08:40 AM
Maybe I'm weird, but I do sort of like Godzilla as a great big protector. Yes, I know, I know, Atom Bomb metaphor and a powerful one.

But Nuclear Power is a BIG thing in the world now, and we are going to have to live with it, and hey, were 70+ years and counting out from the last time a Nuke got used as a weapon against anyone, and all the benefits to science and human advancement in general are looking more and more to be moving things toward outweighing the other side, heavily weighted as it is.

He doens't have to do it because he knows Humanity needs protection or anything. He can just be asserting his dominance over a perceived invader or defending his turf. That's fine, that works. He's not actively against humanity, there too small and insignificant and powerless in his mind to bother about. He just to happens to have a beef with the thing that wants to wipe us out.

There are two types of Godzilla stories. Stories from the human perspective where Godzilla is some sort of horror, and the movie has a message about something. The original Godzilla was "you ****ing nuked us after we surrendered and this is how we're squaring that away". The newest Japanese Godzilla borrows from the Fukushima disaster that happened recently. That's always been a thing, and these Godzilla movies are fine, but you must have a message, something new to bring to the table, or it's basically a slash film sequel in that it exists just to watch the murder.

The second type is Godzilla As Hero, and while I can definitely relent and say that it has flaws, the Legendary Pictures Godzilla film is very much one of these, and a very good example of it in my personal opinion. This can have shades of "nuclear power actually real good, if you ignore the war aspect" and I think this does it well by minimizing how he uses the atomic breath, and showing just how effective it is. Also, this Goddzilla's actually WAY more attentive to not smashing stuff than previous protector style Godzilla's. Watch the film again, dude does his best to avoid hurting the collective "cat that walked into my house" that is humanity. And I mean why not, every time he showed up to say hi to use we threw a bunch of sugar at him, effectively, considering Godzilla eats radiation like the other creatures of his era (though he eats it through meat typically).

BWR
2018-07-22, 09:13 AM
This trailer made me all misty-eyed with excitement. I am super hyped for this movie.

Callos_DeTerran
2018-07-22, 01:37 PM
There are two types of Godzilla stories. Stories from the human perspective where Godzilla is some sort of horror, and the movie has a message about something. The original Godzilla was "you ****ing nuked us after we surrendered and this is how we're squaring that away". The newest Japanese Godzilla borrows from the Fukushima disaster that happened recently. That's always been a thing, and these Godzilla movies are fine, but you must have a message, something new to bring to the table, or it's basically a slash film sequel in that it exists just to watch the murder.

The second type is Godzilla As Hero, and while I can definitely relent and say that it has flaws, the Legendary Pictures Godzilla film is very much one of these, and a very good example of it in my personal opinion. This can have shades of "nuclear power actually real good, if you ignore the war aspect" and I think this does it well by minimizing how he uses the atomic breath, and showing just how effective it is. Also, this Goddzilla's actually WAY more attentive to not smashing stuff than previous protector style Godzilla's. Watch the film again, dude does his best to avoid hurting the collective "cat that walked into my house" that is humanity. And I mean why not, every time he showed up to say hi to use we threw a bunch of sugar at him, effectively, considering Godzilla eats radiation like the other creatures of his era (though he eats it through meat typically).

Was ShinGodzilla meant to borrow from the Fukushima disaster? I keep getting told that he borrows from the Tokyo fire-bombings that actually had a higher death toll then Hiroshima and Nagasaki but wasn't as scarring to the human psyche.

Still, that's a good breakdown but what I find fun is that Godzilla 2014 borrowed from both types of stories just in different ways. It had the tone and feel of the original where its almost a horror/disaster movie that happens to involve giant monsters and the humans caught in their wake. The monsters, or rather the MUTOs, are viewed with outright terror and anger and even Godzilla is viewed with a sense of frightened awe because the movie makes very clear that if Godzilla wasn't working towards a similar end goal as humanity we'd be powerless to stop him anyway. For heavens sake, we first see him causing a tsunami that killed god knows how many people! With us or against us, he's out of our hands.

At the same time though it didn't have a message for the audience and ultimately humanity should fear Godzilla but shouldn't live in fear of him if that makes sense. We're beneath his notice and, in his own way, he tries to avoid killing us. He does come off as a protector of sorts but an incredibly destructive one. The type of being you can inspiring that godlike fascination and if the 'nuclear power is controllable and helpful but still dangerous' message is intentional all the better.

...can you tell I really like Godzilla but especially Godzilla 2014? Cause I do. :D