PDA

View Full Version : Vestiges: Matt Mercer's high level gear for parties

Kadesh
2018-07-20, 07:40 AM
Has anyone ever used these and come up with their own? Or similar as a levelling item for their players? Do they have favourites. One of my players has the book, and I've decided that the party (11th level) have time to hunt down some Artefacts, and I'm going to put them in game, and I'm looking for some neat mechanics to put in.

Ideally, I'd like abilities to be rider abilities to their already existant use of resources, for example bonuses for using their Stunning Stroke rather than an alternative use for the Ki.

The first idea i've had is for a shield master Paladin with Protection Fighting Style, and its an Shield.
- level 1 - +1 Shield. Once per turn, when you successfully shove an opponent with this shield, you deal 1d4+Str Radiant Damage to it.
- level 2 - +2 Shield. Gain protection fighting style. After completing long rest, gain charges equal to prof mod. Can expend charge to use the Protection Fighting Style without using Reaction. If you have the Protection Fighting Style, you regain all lost charfes when you roll initiative.
- level 3 - +3 Shield. You regain a charge when a creature misses its attack after you used your protection fighting style to give it disadvantage. In addition, as part of the use you can expend all remaining charges to expend the same number of Hit Dice as if you had completed a short rest. You and all creatures of your choice within 5ft regain these hit points.

Opinions? Too much? Too little?

Also, other ideas are welcome, or just a chance to put your own down. Thanks

ciarannihill
2018-07-20, 09:00 AM
I love them in theory, especially because I really like the idea of giving players a "signature weapon". I've used them once or twice, one in my current game -- a Greatsword for a Paladin who adopted a new identity as the champion of a fallen deity. She bestowed the sword on him when he was taken into her service (he saved a forest containing an area where she held sway from burning down) and it grants him access to appropriate Druid spells that cost charges at each level. It's based loosely on the Spire of Conflux, with some changes for flavor reasons (no fire spells, mostly Moon, Earth, Water and Ice spells), basically giving him resource inefficient ways to cast spells more directly effective than a normal Paladin has access to.

Bahamut7
2018-07-20, 02:34 PM
Ideally, I'd like abilities to be rider abilities to their already existant use of resources, for example bonuses for using their Stunning Stroke rather than an alternative use for the Ki.

I know it was a typo, but I couldn't help but snicker like a middle schooler at the thought of a more intimate use of stunning strike.

But to the actual question. I am planning on picking up the book in question and use it for extended world building plus its unique character options. As for a leveling item, I have always liked that more than finding a new +2 weapon. In fact, as a player when I am using weapons, I typically seek out ways to transfer enchantments so that I can keep my signature weapons.

If you want to have some fun creating, I would play it as the vestiges used by Vox Machina have been lost but the others remain. A tinkerer sought out these weapons or a way to make new ones in case of another calamity. This could be a fun RP way to introduce new ones or to make the PCs signatures weapons into Vestiges.

Vogie
2018-07-20, 03:06 PM
One way to create neat vestiges would be to base them off of notable foes, and have the high level (or scaling, like the vestiges) gear keyed off of that character's abilities - both Spells that creature could cast as well as Spell-Like Abilities

Defeating a named foe that is based on a Storm Giant, for example, may allow you to pick up their Greatsword, for example, might start with just resistance to lightning & thunder, then eventually give a rechargeable lightning strike ability, an at-will levitate, and/or a 3/LR Control Weather.