PDA

View Full Version : Half-elf variant questions

Fnissalot
2018-07-20, 09:43 AM
Hi!

In SCAG, you are given the option of replacing your skill proficiencies as a Half-elf depending on the type of ancestor. Wood and high elves gets to pick the elf weapon training. Would it be broken or unbalanced to let a half-drow or half-sea elf take their corresponding weapon trainings instead of what they are currently given?

Secondly, how would you do an half-eladrin or half-shadar-kai variant? The blessing of the raven queen and the fey step seems very strong compared to the other options given in SCAG in my opinion? I guess an option would be to get the teleport without the 3rd level improvements of them?

Third, the child of the sea ability for sea elfs gives both swimming speed and water breathing but the old scag option only gives swimming speed. Would it be too strong if a half-sea elf got both?

Thanks in advance!

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-07-20, 09:51 AM
I'd suggest that it's highly campaign and setting-dependent what half-sea elves get, because in some circumstances it would be impossible to give birth to a child if they don't have native water breathing. Maybe that's more feasible for a settlement on a shallow coast, though, and half-sea elves are birthed on land and learn to swim, but still have to surface for air.

Half-eladrin and half-shadar-kai should just get weapon proficiencies as both of the abilities you mention are very strong. I might say that a half-eladrin gets the appropriate seasonal cantrip - friends, fire bolt,, chill touch, minor illusion - instead of the proficiencies, using the eladrin rules for reattuning.

I'd be fine with half-drow getting the drow weapon proficiencies or half-sea elves getting the sea elf weapon proficiencies. My only concern is that a half-sea elf getting bonus proficiencies and a swim speed and water breathing is pretty frickin' strong.

Quoxis
2018-07-20, 10:03 AM
Half-eladrin and half-shadar-kai should just get weapon proficiencies as both of the abilities you mention are very strong. I might say that a half-eladrin gets the appropriate seasonal cantrip - friends, fire bolt,, chill touch, minor illusion - instead of the proficiencies, using the eladrin rules for reattuning.

That’s a good idea, i wouldn’t even have thought of that. Same power level as half-high-elf. Fun thought: what if a half-eladrin was stuck in their parent‘s season at the time of [censored for family friendliness] permanently?

I'd be fine with half-drow getting the drow weapon proficiencies or half-sea elves getting the sea elf weapon proficiencies. My only concern is that a half-sea elf getting bonus proficiencies and a swim speed and water breathing is pretty frickin' strong.

Half elves only get either the weapon proficiency or one of the specific racial features in scag, so if you keep it in line with tradition, you won’t run into that problem.

If you’re not in a strictly water-related campaign, i guess waterbreathing is more of a flavor thing, so adding it to the swim speed for free wouldn’t be too big a deal in my book.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-07-20, 10:07 AM
That’s a good idea, i wouldn’t even have thought of that. Same power level as half-high-elf. Fun thought: what if a half-eladrin was stuck in its parent‘s season at the time of [censored for family friendliness] permanently?

My only worry about that is that friends just isn't as good as skill or weapon proficiencies. I also think that might cut down on the wild mood swings part of being an eladrin. Maybe you say they can't enter the aspect of the opposing season, so a fall half-eladrin can't take the spring form?

Half elves only get either the weapon proficiency or one of the specific racial features in scag, so if you keep it in line with tradition, you won’t run into that problem.

If you’re not in a strictly water-related campaign, i guess waterbreathing is more of a flavor thing, so adding it to the swim speed for free wouldn’t be too big a deal in my book.

Seems reasonable! SCAG is the only book I haven't got yet.

Rowan Wolf
2018-07-21, 07:30 AM
Someone at Green Ronin did not reference the base material with the variants as they built in the option to take keen senses as an option on all surfaces of half elves.