PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PoW How would you interpret this

JMAP94
2018-07-20, 11:10 PM
Gonna play this character tommorrow and I'm kind of confused. This is from Divergent Path: Fool's Errand. How would you interpret the text below? (the text is from Divergent Paths: Fool's Errand)

"In order for the night terror to recover maneuvers, he must momentarily retreat from the battle to position himself for a new ambush. As a full-round action, the night terror gains the ability to use the Stealth skill while being observed for one round, then can make a Stealth check to hide and move up to his speed."

Do i get to use stealth roll while everyone's looking at me, and THEN, afterwards, I need to find a hiding spot where i make a separate stealth check? (like, they just kind of forget that I'm there for a bit, like some sort of psudeo-invisibility)

OR

Does it just allow me to run to a spot and hide (like, the first part of it just ALLOWS me to use that stealth ability to hide, and the second part is prompting me to do the one stealth check)?

As weird as not inivisibile invisibility sounds, so does getting up in the middle of the fight, jumping into and hiding inside a crate, with the guards next round going "where did he go?!" while scratching their heads. Actually, it sounds weirder to me.

Maybe I'm just an imbecile, but I really can't wrap my head around how this is written. The fluff text seems to imply the latter, but the next phrase seems like something in addition to the "running and hiding" portion.

If you've been reading my posts here, I am a bit of a rules lawyer, and i really want to make sure im doing things right so everyone can have fun. I would really like to get someone from Dreamscarred Press to answer, but they don't really answer their sites forums all that often.

Powerdork
2018-07-20, 11:26 PM
So first off, when you take the full-round action of maneuver recovery, you gain a new capability for one round. This enables you for the entire length of that time, not just when you take the action. (So, if your Stealth result is erased by an effect that reveals you, and then that effect ends, such as by an ally dispelling it, you can make another Stealth check provided you have the movement for it. An ally might let you move with a maneuver or a spell, or you might use a counter. Remember, Stealth is usually performed as part of a movement, as noted in the skill description.)

Then, you gain the ability to make a Stealth check (right then) and move up to your speed (right then). This allows you to reposition, location possibly obscured because you can make Stealth checks while observed, and the standard use of Stealth makes people unaware of your presence and gives you total concealment from them, if they've failed to spot you with their Perception check results (rolled when they have reason to notice you, such as "they were just in battle with you and you pulled some ninja shenanigans").

While you're using a Stealth check result, it remains as long as you "end your turn in cover or concealment" (as noted in the skill description). So, you do need to find a marble pillar or a waist-high wall or something else to hide behind if you want to keep hidden beyond that round you recovered maneuvers.

Otherwise, when the effect ends, you'd best take that maneuver recovery action again, or you're visible plain as day. (Or night, or shadows in the caverns miles underneath Death Mountain; where-ever you were before).

I hope this makes sense.

Edit: Come to think of it, when you've failed a Stealth check and people have caught on to you, aware even though you're concealed in dim light, you could still retain the latest Stealth result from the maneuver recovery even after the 1 round is up, because you're in concealment by virtue of being in dim light.

ATalsen
2018-07-20, 11:35 PM
"In order for the night terror to recover maneuvers, he must momentarily retreat from the battle to position himself for a new ambush. As a full-round action, the night terror gains the ability to use the Stealth skill while being observed for one round, then can make a Stealth check to hide and move up to his speed."

This is my read:

night terror declare they are using the ability, and spends a full round action activating it.
the night terror receives the ability to make a stealth check while observed for 1 round.
The night terror then makes a stealth check
the night terror may then move up to his speed.
the night terror recovers their maneuvers

Now, he *probably* uses the move to hide behind something, but maybe he uses it just to get into a better position; moving behind something may be advantageous but is not *required* by the ability.

If, however the night terror is not behind cover, concealment or using another ability to allow stealth without those, one round later they will no longer be hidden.

So, pretty much they could stealth and move to a hiding spot, OR stealth and move to a striking position for next round.