PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Magic Initiate: Can I cast the 1st level spell as a ritual if it has a ritual tag?

Paladinatheart
2018-07-21, 02:22 AM
So here is the run down. I have a player who is a human monk and has the feat Magic Initiate (two cantrips and one 1st level spell). He chose from the cleric class two cantrips and detect magic as his 1st level spell.

The Magic Initiate Feat states (PHB page 168): Choose a class...You learn two cantrips of your choice from that class's spell list. In addition, choose one 1st level spell to learn from the same list (in this case cleric class). Using this feat, you can cast the spell once at its lowest level, and you must finish a long rest before you can cast it in this way again. Your spell casting ability for these spells depends on the class you choose...

Does this imply that he can cast it as a ritual spell? I know that only specific classes can cast spells as rituals such as Druids, Clerics, Wizards, and technically Warlocks (Pact of the Tome, with Eldrich Invocation Book of Ancient Secrets), however, can this Monk use the ritual tag since he chose cleric class for the magic initiate? Clerics are able to cast spells as rituals and a magic initiate would have had gained some ability from the class that it chose from to be able to cast spells as rituals. Right? If you notice the underlined portion of the text, it says at the lowest level cast and needs a long rest before being used in this way? This is leaving it open perhaps to the idea that this spell could be cast as a ritual.

I know that there is the Ritual caster feat that allows for the very purpose of being able to cast spells a rituals, as long as they bear the ritual tag. However, Magic Initiate has the two cantrips that can be cast over and over again along with the 1st level spell, that only allows for one time use. But being able to use detect magic multiple times is also useful.

Tell me what you guys think? Or do you have any suggestions. I hope I got my idea/dilemma across.

Tanarii
2018-07-21, 02:25 AM
No. Ritual casting is a subset of the Spellcasting feature of each class. The feat doesn't grant the Cleric's Spellcasting feature.

Quoxis
2018-07-21, 02:30 AM
No. Ritual casting is a subset of the Spellcasting feature of each class. The feat doesn't grant the Cleric's Spellcasting feature.

Seconded.

Get him a level of cleric, that way he can learn additional cleric spells AND he can use detect magic as a ritual - as long as the spell from magic initiate is on your spell list you have „learned it“ and it counts as a prepared spell according to sage advice iirc.

Tanarii
2018-07-21, 02:34 AM
Seconded.

Get him a level of cleric, that way he can learn additional cleric spells AND he can use detect magic as a ritual - as long as the spell from magic initiate is on your spell list you have „learned it“ and it counts as a prepared spell according to sage advice iirc.
Not sure I'd agree that a learned spell counts as a prepared spell. Those are usually considered two different things. But I'd be interest in seeing a JC tweet if it's floating around. (I'll also check the latest SA.)

Edit: so I was thinking of known (which also uses the term learn in the class features) vs prepared. But the SA compendium definitely says you can cast the spell you learn from MI if you chose the same class you have. I can see that if you accept that RAI, then by extension it should also apply to Ritual Casting it.

lperkins2
2018-07-21, 02:34 AM
I don't have my book handy, so someone please double check this, but I think you can, if you take Ritual Caster for a class with the MI spell on its spell list. Of course, to cast it as a ritual, it must be in your ritual book, which requires getting it in written form to copy it in. Getting it in ritual form can be achieved by first crafting a spell scroll of it, using the downtime rules for disposable magic item creation.

So the sequence is: take magic initiate, take ritual caster, craft a spell scroll of the magic initiate spell, copy the spell scroll into your ritual book, cast it as a ritual. Of course, if you stumble across the spell scroll, you could do the same without the magic initiate feat or the time and expense of creating the spell scroll.

Quoxis
2018-07-21, 02:46 AM
Not sure I'd agree that a learned spell counts as a prepared spell. Those are usually considered two different things. But I'd be interest in seeing a JC tweet if it's floating around. (I'll also check the latest SA.)

Edit: so I was thinking of known (which also uses the term learn in the class features) vs prepared. But the SA compendium definitely says you can cast the spell you learn from MI if you chose the same class you have. I can see that if you accept that RAI, then by extension it should also apply to Ritual Casting it.

Sorry, prepared might worded incorrectly, it was a short night.

You know the spell, you can cast it once without a slot from MI, then - only if it’s on your class‘ spell list - you can spend slots to cast it as any other spell you have prepped, and if it’s a ritual spell and your class has the ritual casting feature, you can cast the spell as a ritual.

Edit: dang, i was edit-ninja‘d!