PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Can eldritch claws work with Spell like ability feats?

Zellsantal
2018-07-21, 09:42 AM
I am trying to make a gestalt npc and going with a warlock swordsage. Looking up the spell like ability feats and figure they would do well for range attacks but I want to make this one more of a melee base which eldritch claws come in handing. However I been having no luck finding anything any rule to help me for my question. Which if I were to use empower and maximized on eldritch claws would I get the effects on one claw attack or on both? Being I can use eldritch blast with my claws I do two attacks in one turn, if I understand that right but I get only one attack on each claw per turn. Still with that being said would I able to use both feats at the same time for two claw attacks or is it for only one?

Powerdork
2018-07-21, 12:28 PM
Well, the game doesn't spell this out, but Eldritch Claws (as a feat) is an extraordinary ability, not a spell-like ability the way its prerequisite is. That said, if your DM approves of applying Maximize Spell-like Ability and Empower Spell-like Ability (eldritch blast) to it the same way it can be applied to eldritch glaive, then ask them to consider allowing the entire feat's effects to be adjusted the same way eldritch glaive has it, rather than just the one attack.

death390
2018-07-21, 10:40 PM
eldritch blast is a spell like ability (Sp) so applying the spell-like feats to that alters that then it affects eldritch claws as eldritch claws change the shape of an eldritch bast (its basically a blast shape invocation just more expensive since it costs a feat).

so theoretically yes you should be able to apply feats that affect spell-like abilities;. but DM has final say.

Troacctid
2018-07-22, 02:02 AM
Feats that affect spell-like abilities do not affect Eldritch Claws, as it is not a spell-like ability.

eldritch blast is a spell like ability (Sp) so applying the spell-like feats to that alters that then it affects eldritch claws as eldritch claws change the shape of an eldritch bast (its basically a blast shape invocation just more expensive since it costs a feat).

so theoretically yes you should be able to apply feats that affect spell-like abilities;. but DM has final say.
No, Eldritch Claws does not work that way. It's not a spell-like ability, and it is certainly not a blast shape. It doesn't even count as eldritch blast. (For example, if you have the Grappling Blast feat, you cannot use it to make an Eldritch Claw attack after grappling someone.)