PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 3.5/Pathfinder Fun Builds Generic Thread

Mildly Inept
2018-07-21, 10:07 AM
I thought it would be pretty neat to have a general thread for folks to share fun or creative builds for 3.5 and Pathfinder. I don't have anything on me at the moment, but feel free to share your ideas.

Cosi
2018-07-21, 11:30 AM
Beguiler 5/Mindbender 1/Rainbow Servant 1
Feats
1st: Apprentice (Spellcaster)

This is pretty much the standard Beguiler build with one innovation -- Apprentice. As an Arcane spellcaster who doesn't prepare spells, Apprentice allows you to swap any spell you know for any other spell of the same level once per class level. This is absolutely insane, because it allows you to do things like trade rouse for a spell you would cast more than once in your entire life. Also it allows you to put substitute domain on your personal list. That means you can swap your (relatively) useless Good domain from Rainbow Servant for a much more valuable domain like Luck or Spell. Try to worship a pantheon for maximum domain access, or if you're feeling cheesy simply observe that only Clerics pay penalties for switching gods and dedicate yourself to "whatever god has the domain I want right now".

The really fantastic thing about this build is how versatile it is. You have a very high level of versatility with just what's listed, but you also have the ability to get into any PrC with a spell knowledge pre-req and pull off almost any spell combo you happen to dream up. You can also go a lot of different directions after 7th level. Finishing out Rainbow Servant is your strongest choice, but you can also go into Shadowcraft Mage if you're a Gnome or even Dweomerkeeper with one of the tricks that lets you cast arcane spells as divine. If you grab sandblast as a 1st level spell, you can go for a Spellwarp Sniper build (I recommend using Persistent hunter's eye by way of Incantatrix or a favorable ruling on Unseen Seer to make the Sneak Attack prerequisite), giving you a no-save stun out of a 1st level spell slot. A Primal Scholar build gives you enormous versatility and endurance -- between unfettered heroism and substitute domain you can use almost any 5th level or lower spell in the game at will. With Apprentice, straight Beguiler isn't even that bad, though I recommend at least the two listed levels.