PDA

View Full Version : What is a fine smith?

Tanarii
2018-07-21, 11:30 AM
Reference: PHB p 132, guild artisan background:
2 Armorers, locksmiths, and finesmiths.

Player asked me: what the hell is a finesmiths. I realized I don't really know, and my Google fu is godawful. Someone got an answer that's not a guess or assumption?

I'd been assuming it was something to do with making mechanically intricate things, like gears / a clockmaker. An inventor. But it also occurs to me as I type this it could be a gold/silversmith.

Based on the Rock Gnome race, "inventor" seems to be more intended using Tinker's Tools. Or possibly that race just makes a novel use of the "fix things" toolset? Or maybe tinkers tools are for putting the mechanical trickery together, but not actually creating the components for scratch.

So yeah, question from player, plus bonus question about the best tool set for inventors. :smallamused:

ad_hoc
2018-07-21, 11:40 AM
From my Googling it appears that a Finesmith creates tools like Thieves' Tools.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-07-21, 11:43 AM
It seems to me to be a catch-all term for very intricate, small-scale work. Clockwork objects with small gears, like clocks or expensive children's toys. Perhaps metal engraving or decorative work that doesn't fall under jewelcrafting. The creation of very small, fine metal objects like pen nibs or detailed scale models.

Draken
2018-07-21, 12:13 PM
It is probably not Tinkers, as that is a roll of 17 on the d20, a few lines under.

It probably refers to whitesmiths, who are described in wikipedia (in the Smith article) thus.

A whitesmith works with white metal (tin and pewter) and can refer to someone who polishes or finishes the metal rather than forging it.

Polishing and finishing rather than forging, fine work rather than heavy work. Sounds like a good match.

Tanarii
2018-07-21, 12:41 PM
It probably refers to whitesmiths, who are described in wikipedia (in the Smith article) thus.

Polishing and finishing rather than forging, fine work rather than heavy work. Sounds like a good match.
Yeah, that lines up more with the idea that they're alternative metal workers (gold, silver, white), rather than makers of mechanically complex components. Ie a more general version of a locksmith.

I'd just be just been assuming the latter.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2018-07-21, 01:38 PM
It is probably not Tinkers, as that is a roll of 17 on the d20, a few lines under.

Pewter work is also a roll of 17, right after tinkers.

Draken
2018-07-21, 02:10 PM
Pewter work is also a roll of 17, right after tinkers.

Now I want to find the person responsible for this table and just glower at them for a whole day.

Bieskaon
2018-07-24, 11:03 AM
Hello everyone,

i may be able to shed some light on the question what a finesmith is.
Here in Germany we have job description called "Feinschmied".
This is also a literal translation to finesmith.

Mostly a finesmith works with gold or similar valueable and soft metals in medieval times.
It was a profession where you create jewelry like bracelets, rings, necklaces, rosarys or ornated cups.
All of them with intricate and beautiful motivs combined with valuable gems.

Nowadays it is almost the same. But, at least here in germany,
those who wont work with those very valuable metals like Gold and Silver
are called finesmith too if they work with intricate motivs and if they stay within a total weight from 1g to 2Kg.

I hope i were at least a bit helpful to you.

ps. i appologize for my bad and simple english grammar.
As I said, i am from germany, and am not often be able to train the language.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-24, 03:44 PM
Hello everyone,

i may be able to shed some light on the question what a finesmith is.
Here in Germany we have job description called "Feinschmied".
This is also a literal translation to finesmith.

Mostly a finesmith works with gold or similar valueable and soft metals in medieval times.
It was a profession where you create jewelry like bracelets, rings, necklaces, rosarys or ornated cups.
All of them with intricate and beautiful motivs combined with valuable gems.

Nowadays it is almost the same. But, at least here in germany,
those who wont work with those very valuable metals like Gold and Silver
are called finesmith too if they work with intricate motivs and if they stay within a total weight from 1g to 2Kg.

I hope i were at least a bit helpful to you.

ps. i appologize for my bad and simple english grammar.
As I said, i am from germany, and am not often be able to train the language.

Your English is vastly superior to my Deutsch!

Thanks for the insight.

I've heard Silversmiths but obviously their are more fine metals than just silver. So hearing what a Finesmith is was quite interesting me.