PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next IDEA: Elder Scrolls style Birthsigns

foL
2018-07-21, 11:32 PM
Anybody familiar with the Elder Scrolls series of videogames will no doubt be familiar with the thirteen birthsigns. I'm trying to create my D&D 5e setting based on Elder Scrolls lore, for which I hope to include a flavourful mechanic for the birthsigns.
At the moment, I am thinking of allowing the player to choose one of the following signs as an optional alternative to a background. Each one would also grant the option of possibly either
-a single tool proficiency or language
Or
-A tool proficiency or language, and a skill proficiency
Depending on balance.

Favourite ideas at the moment:

Birthsigns

The Warrior
-While you are wearing heavy armour, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage that you take from non-magical weapons is reduced by 2. This effect does not stack with other effects that reduce damage by a set value.

The Lady
-You gain proficiency in your choice of one of the following types of saving throw: Strength, Intelligence or Charisma.

The Atronach
-When you succeed on a saving throw against a magical effect, you regain one expended spell slot. This spell slot's level cannot exceed half of your proficiency bonus (rounded down).

The Thief
-Once between long rests, you can choose to give yourself advantage on any ability check that you make.

The Tower
-You can use this birthsign to cast the Knock spell. If you do, it does not make a noise, and you cannot use this birthsign again until you complete a short or long rest.

The Apprentice
-You have disadvantage on saving throws against the effects of spells. When you cast a spell that forces one or more creatures to make a saving throw, they do so with disadvantage.

The Steed
Choose one of the following benefits:
-Your base walking speed increases by 10 feet.
-You gain proficiency in light and medium armour.

The Lord
-As an action, you can expend one hit die to restore hit points. Roll the hit die. You regain hit points equal to half of the number rolled (rounded up), plus your constitution modifier. You can do this once, and regain the ability to do so after a long rest.

The Mage
-You learn one first level spell of your choice. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.

The Lover
-You can use this birthsign once to cast either the Hold Person spell or the Charm Person spell, and regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest. When you cast a spell using this birthsign, its range is touch, and it requires no material components. Your spellcasting ability for it is Charisma.

The Shadow
-You gain proficiency in the Stealth skill, and one other skill of your choice.

The Ritual
-You can cast one of three spells: Protection from Evil and Good, Cure Wounds or Detect Magic. Once you have successfully cast a spell using this birthsign, you must complete a long rest before doing so again.

The Serpent
-You know the Shocking Grasp cantrip. Once you reach third level, you gain the ability to cast Ray of Sickness as a second level spell once, and regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Additional ideas:

The Lover: You gain proficiency in two skills of your choice. If you already have proficiency in one or more of these skills at level 1, you may instead add double your proficiency bonus to ability checks made with that skill.

The shadow: -Once between long rests, you can cast the Invisibility spell on yourself.

The shadow: You become proficient in the Stealth skill and gain the Darkvision trait, to 60 feet. If you already have Darkvision or Superior Darkvision, its range is instead increased by 30 feet.

The Tower-You can use this birthsign to cast the Knock spell. If you do, its range is 60 feet, and you cannot use this birthsign again until you complete a short or long rest.

The Steed: Your base walking speed is increased by 5 feet, and you are no longer slowed by wearing heavy armour.

The Apprentice:
-When a magical effect forces you to make a saving throw, you may choose to do so with Disadvantage. If you do, the next time you cast a spell that requires targets to make a saving throw, the targets must make the saving throw with disadvantage. This effect ends after you cast the spell, or after 1 minute, whichever is sooner.

All my other ideas, most of which I've rejected:

Birthsigns

The Warrior
-You have advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks.

-You gain proficiency in the use of one type of armour. If you are proficient in medium armour as a benefit provided by your race or class, this will be heavy armour. If you are proficient in light armour only, this is medium armour. Otherwise, it is light armour. You cannot choose this option if you are proficient in the use of heavy armour.

-While you are wearing heavy armour, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage that you take from non-magical weapons is reduced by 2. This effect does not stack with other effects that reduce damage by a set value.

The Lady
-You gain proficiency in your choice of one of the following types of saving throw: Strength, Intelligence or Charisma.

The Atronach
-When you succeed on a saving throw against a magical effect, you regain one expended spell slot. This spell slot's level cannot exceed half of your proficiency bonus (rounded down).

The Thief
-Once between long rests, you can choose to give yourself advantage on any ability check that you make.
-You gain proficiency in alchemist's tools.

The Tower
-You know the Knock spell, and can cast it once between long rests without expending a spell slot.

-You can choose to cast either the Knock spell or the Shield spell. You can use this birthsign once, and regain the ability to do so after a long rest.

-You can use this birthsign to cast the Knock spell. If you do, it does not make a noise, and you cannot use this birthsign again until you complete a short or long rest.

The Apprentice
-You have disadvantage on saving throws against the effects of spells. When you cast a spell that forces one or more creatures to make a saving throw, they do so with disadvantage.

The Steed
-Your base walking speed increases by 5, and you gain the Powerful Build feature.

Choose one of the following benefits:
-Your base walking speed increases by 10 feet.
-You gain proficiency in light and medium armour.

The Lord
-As an action, you can expend one hit die to restore hit points. Roll the hit die. You regain hit points equal to half of the number rolled (rounded up), plus your constitution modifier. You can do this once, and regain the ability to do so after a long rest.

The Mage
-You learn one cantrip of your choice. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.

-You learn one first level spell of your choice. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.

The Lover
-You can use this birthsign to cast the Hold Person spell once, and regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest. Its range is touch, and it requires no material components. Your spellcasting ability for it is Charisma.

-You can use this birthsign once to cast either the Hold Person spell or the Charm Person spell, and regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest. When you cast a spell using this birthsign, its range is touch, and it requires no material components. Your spellcasting ability for it is Charisma.

The Shadow
-Once between long rests, you can cast the Invisibility spell on yourself.

-You gain proficiency in the Stealth skill, and one other skill of your choice.

The Ritual
-You can cast one of three spells: Protection from Evil and Good, Cure Wounds or Detect Magic. Once you have successfully cast a spell using this birthsign, you must complete a long rest before doing so again.

The Serpent
-You can use this birthsign to cast Ray of Sickness as a second level spell once, and regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest. When you hit a creature with this spell, it cannot take reactions until the start of its next turn. When you take this birthsign, you may choose your spellcasting ability for it from the following: Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma.

-You know the Shocking Grasp cantrip. Once you reach third level, you gain the ability to cast Ray of Sickness as a second level spell once, and regain the ability to do so after completing a long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

So, I'm wondering:
-How you would make things balanced.
-How you would make the mechanical benefits creative and interesting.
-How you would use this as an convenient excuse to circumvent the game's ridiculous armour proficiency rules, without breaking it.
-Whether this is a good idea, like, at all.

Rerem115
2018-07-22, 01:11 PM
A some of your signs are, at least to me, very strong, and capable of significantly changing the way the game is played because they offer abilities that aren't normally/easily available in 5e; gaining armor/save proficiencies, regaining spell slots, increasing your movement speed, forcing disadvantage on saving throws.

While I don't know enough about TES to really replicate the birthsigns, I did try to convert a different game, ADOM, to 5e. Instead of new abilities, I gave each one an arguably just as strong, but a lot easier to balance, bonus to basic attributes. I dunno, maybe you'll find some inspiration from here:

The Raven: +1 Wisdom, +5 Movement Speed
The Book: +1 Intelligence, 1 Tool Proficiency
The Wand: +1 Charisma, 1 Cantrip (Cast from Charisma)
The Unicorn: +1 Wisdom, can re-roll a failed save against Charm or Fear 1/long rest
The Salamander: +1 Charisma, 1 1st level spell that deals fire damage and 1 1st level spell slot (Cast from Charisma)
The Dragon: +1 Strength, can re-roll any damage roll once/short rest
The Sword: +1 Dexterity, proficiency in one weapon
The Falcon: +1 to any stat, Survival proficiency
The Cup: +1 Intelligence, 1 1st level Wizard spell and 1 1st level spell slot (Cast from Intelligence)
The Candle: +1 to any stat, Medicine proficiency
The Wolf: +1 Constitution, can subsist without penalty on half rations
The Oak: +1 Constitution, can use reaction to reduce incoming damage by 1d4 a number of times equal to Con Mod (minimum 1)/short rest

Ninjadeadbeard
2018-07-23, 01:51 AM
If you are looking to translate the ES signs to 5e, might I suggest just granting players a single power based on their sign? Replacing backgrounds seems unnecessary to me. You could also go the Skyrim route and allow players to change their signs if they find the appropriate stone or monument in the world.