PDA

View Full Version : Glass(2019)

Lord Vukodlak
2018-07-22, 01:54 AM
https://youtu.be/95ghQs5AmNk

Lord have mercy... I'm hyped for a Shyamalan movie.

LaZodiac
2018-07-22, 08:05 AM
Haven't seen Split yet, a little squiggly about doing so, but after rewatching Unbreakable I definitely feel like...I "should" if that makes sense.

Because yeah this trailer looks hype as ****.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-07-22, 08:26 AM
Same deal here, heaven't seen Split yet, but pretty interested.

But the real reason I'm posting here is that this thread wouldn't be complete without that other movie by the same name, winner of an Oscar for short documentary (despite being closer to a music video). Enjoy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3QEpQ9ozVU). (Link is to a legit Youtube account of an official Dutch instance.)

tomandtish
2018-07-22, 12:38 PM
Yeah, haven't seen Split. Loved Unbreakable.

This looks interesting. of course, a lot of his films look interesting and then fall apart.

Psyren
2018-07-25, 01:40 AM
I didn't see Split either, but Moviebob convinced me that Shyamalan is back to form, so it and this are on my list. And I love me some Sarah Paulson.

Eldan
2018-07-25, 02:03 AM
I saw Split after my brother convinced me and honestly.... it's not all that good? It's full of terrible overacting and some incredibly cheesy dialogue. And the bad guy isn't even interesting.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-07-25, 03:51 AM
I saw Split after my brother convinced me and honestly.... it's not all that good? It's full of terrible overacting and some incredibly cheesy dialogue. And the bad guy isn't even interesting.

How is the split personality handled? Does it feel more like a good gimmick for a creepy villain or some sort of ill thought up slap in the face to actual psychiatric patients? Not having an answer to that question (and not trusting the director enough to handle it well) is probably one of the reasons I haven't seen the movie yet.

Eldan
2018-07-25, 04:04 AM
Honestly, I feel like I don't know enough about split personalities to comment. I know the actual psychiatrist in the story talks some absolute rubbish. And I find the acting annoying, in parts.

LaZodiac
2018-07-25, 08:26 AM
How is the split personality handled? Does it feel more like a good gimmick for a creepy villain or some sort of ill thought up slap in the face to actual psychiatric patients? Not having an answer to that question (and not trusting the director enough to handle it well) is probably one of the reasons I haven't seen the movie yet.

All the flaws he's mentioned are what most people tend to say are what makes it good. So take that as you will. I'll watch it later and give a better answer here.

Lemmy
2018-07-25, 09:45 AM
I didn't see Split either, but Moviebob convinced me that Shyamalan is back to form, so it and this are on my list. And I love me some Sarah Paulson.
Well... I doubt he'll ever make anything as good as "6th Sense" or even "Unbreakable" again, but he has made some decent (good, even) movies lately. "Split" and "The Visit" are both quite entertaining.

My guess is that his reputation went down enough that he had to start listening to criticism again. He is no longer "too big to disagree with", so now he still has the good ideas he always had, but also has people filtering the bad ones.

No brains
2018-07-25, 01:42 PM

Get a grain of salt and a galaxy of asterisks for my untrained opinion in both psychology and having seen this movie.

Last I heard, the psychiatric field isn't sure 'split personalities' exist. The idea may have come from people misinterpreting the root of the word schizophrenia, wherein 'split' is maybe better described as 'detached' rather than 'a separate, independent unit'. Schizophrenia does not give people separate personalities nor supervillain status.

If the movie had the gumption to say that this guy's issue was magic, spirits, or something not fully understood, I may have given it more credit. As it stands, attempting to describe superpowers as a psychiatric diagnosis really does come off as that 'slap in the face' you mentioned.

Lemmy
2018-07-25, 01:46 PM
Get a grain of salt and a galaxy of asterisks for my untrained opinion in both psychology and having seen this movie.

Last I heard, the psychiatric field isn't sure 'split personalities' exist. The idea may have come from people misinterpreting the root of the word schizophrenia, wherein 'split' is maybe better described as 'detached' rather than 'a separate, independent unit'. Schizophrenia does not give people separate personalities nor supervillain status.

If the movie had the gumption to say that this guy's issue was magic, spirits, or something not fully understood, I may have given it more credit. As it stands, attempting to describe superpowers as a psychiatric diagnosis really does come off as that 'slap in the face' you mentioned.
IIRC, at some point in that movie, they imply that the portrayed mental issue is only called "split personality" because that's the closest thing they could think of, but it's actually something so far beyond that that it would merit a completely different definition... But no one understands much of anything about it!

Wookieetank
2018-07-25, 02:19 PM
IIRC, at some point in that movie, they imply that the portrayed mental issue is only called "split personality" because that's the closest thing they could think of, but it's actually something so far beyond that that it would merit a completely different definition... But no one understands much of anything about it!

I got the impression that the beast was a sort of outside entity and not just another personality. Hence the crawling on the walls/ceiling once the beast took over. Also, the way some of the personalities talked about how they took turns having their time in the light, where with the beast they were letting it in, gave me a strong vibe of the beast being something supernatural.

Lemmy
2018-07-25, 03:10 PM
I got the impression that the beast was a sort of outside entity and not just another personality. Hence the crawling on the walls/ceiling once the beast took over. Also, the way some of the personalities talked about how they took turns having their time in the light, where with the beast they were letting it in, gave me a strong vibe of the beast being something supernatural.
Could be... Although I think it was just bizarre biology, like the characters from Unbreakable. Like... If the guy from split can completely alter his body chemistry and neural paths, there's nothing really limiting it to human-like body chemistry and neural paths... I doubt we'll ever get a definite answer, in any case. I don't think it matters, actually.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-07-26, 04:21 AM
Okay, thanks all. That does sound like I might want to see it, if it's more of a possession unfortunately labeled as to not give away what it is immediately. The surprise sequel thing as a gimmick seems like one of those things that could be kind of interesting even if only because it's uncommon.

GrayDeath
2018-07-26, 07:55 AM
Okay.

That makes me actually want tow atch a MNS Movie again.

WHich I was sure would never happen again after....well, you know the lot of crap he did.

Seems one has to watch Split for it, still, that....seems very very promising.

LaZodiac
2018-07-26, 08:22 AM
Okay, thanks all. That does sound like I might want to see it, if it's more of a possession unfortunately labeled as to not give away what it is immediately. The surprise sequel thing as a gimmick seems like one of those things that could be kind of interesting even if only because it's uncommon.

Yeah that, I can say even without saying it, is 100% accurate and true. He's just got super powered multiple personalities within him because WHAT A TWEEEST this is part of the Unbreakable "realistic super hero movie" universe. I'm conflicted cause on the surface it still is using DID as a tool of horror, but on the other hand that's actually a good ****ing twist.

I'm not a big fan of M Night for a bunch of reasons, even if I do like a fair number of his films. But props to him for taking the risk of making a clearly problematic movie who's twist is that it's not problematic, it's the sequel to a movie he made like ten years ago.

Eldan
2018-07-26, 08:32 AM
I can say that it wasn't a twist that I actually expected, that there would be actual superpowers. Though I'm pretty neutral on the idea, didn't find it all that exciting.

No brains
2018-07-26, 01:28 PM
I'm only going to watch this if it is also a crossover with Devil where Bruce Willis kludges a paladin's detect evil by dropping a bunch of toast.

LaZodiac
2018-07-26, 04:41 PM
I'm only going to watch this if it is also a crossover with Devil where Bruce Willis kludges a paladin's detect evil by dropping a bunch of toast.

De(down elevator button)il was supposed to be movie one of a three part movie, so maybe!

No brains
2018-07-26, 08:40 PM
De(down elevator button)il was supposed to be movie one of a three part movie, so maybe!

If that seriously happens, Imma be this guy on the left.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-fP-0-dEHhA/maxresdefault.jpg
Imma be this guy all the way up until collapsing in the snow and exploding.