PDA

View Full Version : Dabbling in Grappling

cartejos
2018-07-22, 07:54 AM
Human Half Minotaur (And half-ogre, if preferred) with LA buyoff

Cleric 3/Geomancer 7/(Divine Adaptation) Abjurant Champion 5/???5

-or-

Conjurer 1/Cleric 3/Barbarian 2/Geomancer 5/(Divine Adaptation) Abjurant Champion 5/???4

The qualification for Geomancer is being met with either Magical Training/Precocious Apprentice or Wiz 1+Precocious Apprentice

I don't have a lot of experience with Divine Casting or Grappling, but I'm led to believe that neither has a huge amount of support

While it does have slower casting I'm a fan of the second build for the Barbarian ACF that grants Improved Grapple early. Still a total of 7 levels to gain both Improved Grab and Constrict, and it loses 2 CL, but getting it earlier makes it easier to gain the Multigrab, Greater Multigrab, and Rending Constriction feats.

The Conjurer lets the character teleport around a bit, avoiding some AoOs when possible.

The Divine casting focus is mainly for Divine Power to not have to worry about all the lost BAB.

My main questions are:
What are more ways to gain Constrict on a PC? Geomancer is the only way I've personally found, other than maybe a soulmeld I looked over.
Is there a way to give the Cat tail you can gain from Geomancer a Tail Attack? If possible, Prehensile Tail might be a good addition to the build.

Eldariel
2018-07-22, 09:26 AM
Drop the LA, get (Draconic) Polymorph [Spell Compendium]. That's the best thing you can do and Cleric can get it from Transformation or Spell domains for example, and persist it just fine. It gets you all the special attacks you could want (Druid Wildshape accomplishes the same goal). Add to that the plethora of spells that boost Grapple and you're good to go. Maximize your caster level, read spells, go to town. Trying to do it in your native form is a folly when you can stack size and str increases with special attacks by turning into natural grapplers.