PDA

View Full Version : Help me design the Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Princesse
2018-07-22, 09:47 AM
Hi everyone.
My players are soon to have one of the Rings of the Apocalypse, worn by one of the horseman (we are in an evil campaign) and i was wondering actually what they do? I absolutly don't care about the power level because my players are currently high level and this is gonna be a legendary unique artifact.

I was thinking about giving the owner some spells that would fit with the Horseman (Like Contagion for Pestillance or Finger of Death for Death) but some roleplay things would be great too, like '' You can automaticly kill everything under CR 1 with only one touch'' for Death or '' You can use your action to destroy 1 mile radius of food 1 time/day'' for Famine.

Let's see what everyone got, don't think about being balanced, keep in mind that these are the Horseman of the Apocalypse , made to destroy the world !

Dr. Cliché
2018-07-22, 01:14 PM
Is this any good:

https://imgur.com/a/WvOL4#sgw9K4v

Princesse
2018-07-22, 02:20 PM
Yeah this homebrew is awesome i used it a lot for reference for instance the Horse. But i was wondering what would you people had in mind.

Aett_Thorn
2018-07-22, 03:14 PM
Don't make them horsemen. Make then Centaurs. You know, horse-men.

G mayes
2018-07-22, 03:25 PM
Just for a twist

My basis for my 4 horsemen:
They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine, and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth. (Revelation 6:7-8)

Sword is an elf glamour bard. Not violent but brings others to violence and convinces them of righteousness of their actions.

Famine-could be modeled on a cleric of a harvest god but reverse the effects of their spells. Makes fields fallow onstead of fertile. Instead of purify food and drink causes it to rot irrevocably by magical means.

Also a sorcerer with subtle casting would work.

Perhaps an undead that views the need for food and water as a weakness.

Or in a more traditional direction a cleric or druid using weather spells.
Plague-a shadow monk with a modified ability to infect persons with various diseases he carries, but suffers no ill effect from. Comes in infects people and leaves without a trace. Players have to make saving throws vs diseases when making melee attacks against it.

The wild beasts are controlled by a shepherd druid of course.

Or a bard with a really high charisma and speak with animals and "animal handling" /s

G mayes
2018-07-22, 03:58 PM
Don't make them horsemen. Make then Centaurs. You know, horse-men.

Mystical beings. And a pun. I may have to use that.

Kadesh
2018-07-22, 04:23 PM
Each one can cast Find Greater Steed to Summon a Nightmare: perhaos individualise further:
- Conquest - Creatures of Ring Bearers choice within 60ft have Disadv on saves vs Frighten effects and while Frightened
- War - As standard, but gains Full Plate Armour Barding and Prof to Wear it
- Famine: Creatures must pass Con Saves or suffer exhaustion while close it
- Death: humanoid enemies slain raise as Zombies/Spectre/Sword Wraiths whatever under Ring Bearer's Control

Perhaps give each one the 20th level Transformation ability of the Paladin closely related to them: Conquest is Conquest, War is Vengeance, Famine is Ancients (feeding off others, etc), while Death is perhaps Crown (Death Save bonuses)

This might be ultrapowerful, but I see it as giving people the ability to play with an option they are otherwise NEVER (usually) going to see, so it's not so bad.

Don't forget that Artefacts can be created in The DMG, giving up to 4 Minor Abilities, and up to 2 majors.

Perhaps alternative to the Paladin ability:
Conquest: Resist Psychic Damage, Immune to Frighten/Charm, Proficiency in Intimidation, can cast Fear 1/day unless you roll a 6, +4 Charisma to a maximum of 24

War: +1 AC, Resistance to Blugeoning, Piercing, and Slashing damage, Regain 1d6 Hit Points at the start of your turn, and deal additional 1d6 damage of the same type as your weapon

Famine: Immune to Disease, know the Infestation Cantrip, Resistance to Poison Damage, Can Cast Conjure Animals (Insects only), Insect Plague and Blight 1/long rest unless you roll a 6

Death: Resist Necrotic, Know Toll the Dead, Can cast Animate Dead and Soul Cage 1/long rest unless you roll a 6, cannot be Charmed, Frightened, Blinded, Deafened, Petrified or Stunned

These could then have some penalties, up to 4 minor and 2 major - although these may or may not be strict disadvantage. Recommend all include gradual appearance change by the DM to appear more akin to the Horsemen themselves, and a long term madness reflecting the effect of the Horseman, plus the below
- Conquest: nonmagical flames extinguish within 30ft, evaporate holy water within 10ft, animals hostile within 30ft, disadvantage against poison, Geas to raise an army and destroy a major city
- War: suggest making it a specific weapon (Chaoseater, from Darksiders?) to allow it to be disarmed: Blinded and Deafened when more than 10ft away from it, gain the attention of an Empyrean you must slay (gauranteed, or 10% chance each day),
- Famine: While attuned to the item, your weight drops by 20lbs, must eat six times the normal amount, and dela 1d6 damage to non creature plants, must draw blood from self or willing creature to cast the spells (An insect bites you)
- Death: Creatures of 0 CR and plants that aren't creatures drop to 0 hit points within 10ft, you begin to rot over the course of 4 days, sour stench, can't smell, reduce value of jewellery by half when you touch it

They are all meant to be in theme (i.e Conquest is weak to poison because it encourages the guy to be paranoid and crushing all before him, death manages to even sully crystals, famine requires you to eat a lot and encourage starvation).