PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [DnD] Ways to recover memories

LokiRagnarok
2018-07-22, 10:37 AM
Hey Playground.

What happened to my 8th level cleric of Light in a recent session was that he got caught up in a divine ritual of another god. Then his memories of the event (and the preceeding two weeks for good measure) were wiped using a (presumably homebrewed) magic item, with the reasoning that the divine ritual is, essentially, classified information which outsiders are not to know. Essentially, my character awoke, aware time must have passed, and found that he was missing memories; some detective work led to the information above. Since my character is a control freak, he is beyond pissed that someone tampered with his memories in a (to him) unknown way, and is hell-bent on getting them back :smallwink:

What would be some (in character) plausible ways for him to recover his memories? I am not necessarily looking for RAW stuff, but also possible ideas the character might reasonably pursue, even if I know out of character that those would fail. (He has, obviously, asked his god for help, to no avail.)

The system is 5e, but I assume the GM can be reasoned with if I give him a good enough hook, and would accept stuff from other editions.

Lunali
2018-07-22, 12:29 PM
The typical way of removing memories would be the spell modify memory. In which case the cure would be remove curse or greater restoration. That said, since this is the a secret divine ritual and the people responsible are presumably aware that you are a cleric, that probably won't work.

Nifft
2018-07-22, 06:20 PM
Since you're in 5e, you could pray for Divine Intervention every day starting at 10th level, and expect to gain a miracle within a week or two.

Kardwill
2018-07-24, 04:47 AM
Sounds like a quest. ^^

I guess you could start doing some research at a temple of knowledge and talk about it with his colleagues there (if the local god of knowledge is the "sharing information" kind and not the "arcane secrets" kind).

Or start doing an investigation to discover what really happened the old fashioned way, by talking to witnesses, scrying, finding proof. Try finding the priest that cursed you so he can be persuaded to lift the curse?