PDA

View Full Version : Playable build with a single sword?

pwning doodes
2018-07-22, 09:08 PM
Flavor-wise, I want my character to wield a single, slender sword in one hand, and nothing in the other. I was thinking rapier or longsword. I don't even know what class I want yet, but I want her to actually be sword-fighting most of the time. Is there any sort of melee fighter that keeps one hand open (no offhand weapon or shield)? Or some way to re-flavor an existing build?

CharonsHelper
2018-07-22, 09:12 PM
Play a monk? They commonly wield a short sword in one hand and then do a lot of punching/kicking in combination with it.

LichPlease
2018-07-22, 09:21 PM
Swashbuckler rogue.

LichPlease
2018-07-22, 09:25 PM
College of Swords Bard specifically prefers one handed only but youre getting spell casting also.

MaxWilson
2018-07-22, 09:29 PM
Flavor-wise, I want my character to wield a single, slender sword in one hand, and nothing in the other. I was thinking rapier or longsword. I don't even know what class I want yet, but I want her to actually be sword-fighting most of the time. Is there any sort of melee fighter that keeps one hand open (no offhand weapon or shield)? Or some way to re-flavor an existing build?

Swashbuckler rogue would be classic, but another option is a Defensive Duelist grappling Barbarian who grabs enemies (Grapple) and slams them prone (Shove) and then starts stabbing them with the rapier while using Defensive Duelist to compensate for the lack of a shield.

If you want to keep one one genuinely empty all the time, though, I'd just go with the Swashbuckler. For maximum damage make it a High Elf Swashbuckler with the Booming Blade cantrip.

Corran
2018-07-22, 09:31 PM
Bladesinger wizard if you like elves too (or alternatively if the DM agrees to lift the race restriction this archetype imposes) is another alternative. They can do just fine in melee when they use bladesong (2 per short rest if Iam not mistaken).

bc56
2018-07-22, 09:46 PM
I would recommend assassin rogue, using bonus actions for mobility and stealth, and fighting with the rapier.

Talionis
2018-07-22, 09:50 PM
Swashbuckler rogue would be classic, but another option is a Defensive Duelist grappling Barbarian who grabs enemies (Grapple) and slams them prone (Shove) and then starts stabbing them with the rapier while using Defensive Duelist to compensate for the lack of a shield.

If you want to keep one one genuinely empty all the time, though, I'd just go with the Swashbuckler. For maximum damage make it a High Elf Swashbuckler with the Booming Blade cantrip.
This is the first thing that came to mind. The reason for a one handed sword is grappling. Rogues and Bards are some of the best Grapplers in the game.

The other reason to leave the other hand open is to cast spells. Many classes can use a weapon to cast spells lime the Swords Bard can... But Hexblade Warlock might be a good idea if you think your fighter uses magic to make himself stronger.

CTurbo
2018-07-22, 09:54 PM
Bladesinger sounds perfect. Add in some Rogue levels if you want.

MaxWilson
2018-07-22, 10:18 PM
This is the first thing that came to mind. The reason for a one handed sword is grappling. Rogues and Bards are some of the best Grapplers in the game.

Agreed, though note that becoming a really good grappler requires extra attacks so you can e.g. Grapple/Prone in a single turn, so pure Rogue is significantly worse than a multiclassed Rogue/Fighter or Rogue/Barbarian.

I agree about bards too. Valor Bards are good at it because not only can they Grapple/Prone with Expertise and Extra Attack, but they can also do it with Enhance Ability (for advantage) or even, later on, while Enlarged (so they can grapple Huge creatures).

Mortis_Elrod
2018-07-22, 10:36 PM
Kensai Monk, Swashbuckler (or really any) Rogue, Battle Master fighter, Bladesinger Wizard, Swords Bard, Whispers bard, Warlock of varying types,

There's options. I'd say go with Bladsinger if you want that good good magic and you like elves, Bard for similar but maybe supporty reasons, and if you just want to swing a sword good and maybe throw in some kicks or tricks look no further than Fighter/Monk.

Malifice
2018-07-22, 11:14 PM

Any one can fight that way. You're just forgoing a shield or weapon in the off hand. Its really not that big a deal.

But yeah, Swashbuckler. Use your bonus action to [dash/ disengage/ hide] which makes TWF a little difficult [but not impossible thanks to Swashbuckler].

You're not proficient in shields, so that kind of rules that out also.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-23, 12:03 PM
Rapier wielding Barbarian grappler with Defensive duelist, multiclassing into Rogue for Athletics expertise and sneak attack.

mormon_soldier
2018-07-23, 12:14 PM
I would suggest lore bard. The offhand would be kept free to cast spells, so it fits with your goal to just wield a rapier. Lb is one of the most versatile casters in the game, so you can audible what your party needs from level to level.

solidork
2018-07-23, 12:14 PM
The aesthetics of using a rapier while grappling are just awful.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-23, 12:29 PM
The aesthetics of using a rapier while grappling are just awful.

Aesthetics boil down to personal opinion, but there is absolutely historical precedent for grappling with a rapier.

http://www.thearma.org/arttalk/herediascopy.jpg

Edit: I also admit to it looking awful, but that is largely due the clothing IMHO.

Vogie
2018-07-23, 12:34 PM
I'd say a Eldritch Knight with a 2 level dip in War Wizard.

You'll have a Sword that can't be taken, can be summoned to your hand from anywhere on the plane, a collection of force fields (with both shield and Arcane Deflection), have ritual casting of utility spells, and can, starting at Fighter level 7, choose a slew of new fighting styles via War Magic combos:

Attack 2x via Extra attack feature (later 3x at fighter 11)
Attack once with advantage, via True Strike
Augmented Extra attacks, via either GFB/Booming Blade, then Bonus action attack

Talionis
2018-07-23, 01:01 PM
Agreed, though note that becoming a really good grappler requires extra attacks so you can e.g. Grapple/Prone in a single turn, so pure Rogue is significantly worse than a multiclassed Rogue/Fighter or Rogue/Barbarian.

I agree about bards too. Valor Bards are good at it because not only can they Grapple/Prone with Expertise and Extra Attack, but they can also do it with Enhance Ability (for advantage) or even, later on, while Enlarged (so they can grapple Huge creatures).

With the Tavern Brawler feat, I think you can attack and then bonus action grapple...

I 100% think that Sneak Attack benefits from two attacks, just from the added chance you hit and can deliiver Sneak Attack each round. But arguably Sentinel maybe more important than Extra Attack as getting a chance to trigger Sneak Attack on someone else's round can be more important.

While not necessary, two attacks a round can really help with a Grappler.

GlenSmash!
2018-07-23, 01:11 PM
With the Tavern Brawler feat, I think you can attack and then bonus action grapple...

Only if the attack was an unarmed strike, or made with an improvised weapon. Also the attack needs to hit to trigger the bonus action grapple.

Kadesh
2018-07-23, 03:07 PM
Human Rogue 1/Fighter 5/Rogue X, Tavern Brawler and Grappler Feats, Duellist Fighting Style.

Early game, you can use your attack to choose whether to attack with your Shortsword (Sneak Attack only needs a Finesse Weapon, not strictly using Dex). Fighter with Action Surge can Restrain and then make a load of Sneak Attack inducing attacks with Grappler.

I think that Samurai/Assassin gives you the best combination (less need for Grappler in that instance), but Champion can benefit from Grappler's Advantage inducing, and Crits are fun.

Not the most powerful, but hey, it's thematic. Throat punch a dude, grapple him, then draw your knife across his throat.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-07-23, 03:15 PM
Swashbuckler seems kind of pointless mechanically speaking, as one of its big features is if you make a strike against a creature, they can't opportunity attack you so you basically get a free disengage; it basically encourages using your bonus action for an offhand weapon attack. Inquisitive would give you the opportunity to get advantage with an Insight check and Scout would give you more mobility; those or Assassin just make sense.

NiklasWB
2018-07-24, 09:45 AM
Just for inspiration:

My current character is a multiclassed Battlemaster 5 / Swashbuckler 3 that uses a single rapier in one hand. Our DM gave us all a starting magic item (we started at level 6), so I asked if I could get a pair of magic bracers that gives +2 AC if I use light armor and nothing in my off-hand (so basically a shield fluffed as a pair of dueling bracers). Works fantastic. Since I have the same AC as I would with a shield I don't feel gimped, but the flavor makes it so much more fun for me to play the character. I can also be a bit more mobile with climbing and swinging from ropes since I have a free hand to use in those fringe cases where it is needed and a shield would take a round to doff. Also, since I don't have two weapons I don't need to decided if I should make an off-hand attack or not, which frees up my bonus action to Dash/Disengage/Hide basically EVERY round. I've mostly used it to Dash since that lets me strike at almost every enemy on most battle-maps. Before I got Fancy Footwork I also frequently used Disengage after attacking, to position myself better before the end of my turn. It's a blast!

So, don't feel you need to dual wield if you don't want too. Concept is always more important than optimization in my mind. Worst case: re-flavor a buckler as an empty hand/glove/bracer, but keep all the mechanics of a shield. If your DM insists that it is a shield anyway and insists that you all refer to it as a shield, then he is being a poor DM.

EDIT: Spelling.